Die Welle

Users who are viewing this thread

Okay yes, I know it's a German movie, but I'd still like to hear if any other people have seen it. I just recently saw it in French class (Yes) and I thought it was pretty damn good. For those of you who don't know, Die Welle means The Wave, and it's about a class in Germany during a project week about autocracies. A student mentions that he doesn't think that Germany could go back to being an autocracy, the teacher responds to this by starting to teach the class about the values of power through discipline, making them all wear white shirts and jeans and the like. The class is in on it and even starts to shun those who aren't part of the movement and develops their own greeting.
So tell me, what did you guys think of it?

Watched it for German yes. Stunning ending, really sad. But I heard it was true, is it?

Why was it sad? Unless you were actually with the whole Third Wave thing, in which case I kind of misjudged your character.

Hm, I wasn't with the wave. I just find it sad that the same thing happened as in what happened in the ending of the movie. Actually I dont have any idea what the wave was really about. :razz:

EDIT: I also highly doubt there was even a wave in Holland at all.

Ah, the kid didn't actually die? Well then its not sad at all. I thought that really happened.

Had to read the book in school and write an examn about it. Got me an A IIRC.
Never paticularly liked it, mostly because they combined it with the liberal and repeated application of the great "GERMANY BAD, NAZIS BAD!" club to the head.

It's probably a clever story 'n all - or wasn' t it even an real experiment to some extent? - but school ruined it for me. Like so many other things. Goethe, Schiller, and all the other classics.

And I only now saw that this was about the movie. My bad.

-edit
Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Wave
Ah, I seem to have recalled correctly then.

There are two movies, you twit.
TDM speaks about the TV production from '81, as he has said repeatedly. The offical homepage links to the full thing uploaded to YouTube, even though you can still buy it if you want to.

Back
Top Bottom