Any chances we can get class limits on MP?

Users who are viewing this thread

flashn00b

Sergeant at Arms
Dunno where to post this cuz there's no thread about Beta 1.2.5 and I don't trust the multiplayer forums with giving a sane response, but I can't help but wonder if there are any plans on allowing server hosts to limit archer and cavalry classes by a percentage amount.

Maybe these would be good defaults for TaleWorlds servers?

Siege/TDM: 16% Archer, 40% Cavalry*
Battle: 16% archer, 35% cavalry
Skirmish: 50% archer, 50% cavalry
Captain: No class limits
Duel: No class limits

*realistically, having that number of horsemen in a given team is kind of unrealistic

Maybe these would be good defaults for TaleWorlds servers?
We don't have any plans to implement class limits on our servers.
*realistically, having that number of horsemen in a given team is kind of unrealistic
For which game mode do you consider the amount of cavalry to be an issue and why? And what do you mean by unrealistic - unbalanced or historically inaccurate?
any plans on allowing server hosts to limit archer and cavalry classes by a percentage amount.
We're exploring class limits (in terms of having the option to completely disable certain classes) as part of the MP in-game admin panel which will be accessible to server hosts. Having it percentage-based is not something that will be there in the first iteration of the admin panel.

Can we have working class limits on custom servers to begin with.

And those percentages are way off. You only really need a cav limit of like 25% in battle, having more archers in siege might be annoying but it's a losing strat.

If i wanted to play a shooter, I'd reinstall Rainbow Six Vegas 2. All-archer teams in Mount&Blade are impossible to win against because after hitting a certain threshold with bowmen, the need to actually aim stops existing when you can just mindlessly spam arrows at the enemy's general direction and you'll eventually hit something. The only counter to archer spam is to spam archers yourself and click heads better, though the game just ends up becoming a worse version of the cover shooters that have oversaturated the late 2000s and early 2010s.

a 16% limit on archers is probably the best target to hit cuz that's the number that was used in Chivalry 2, and that has put the game in a position where you actually need to be good with hitting things with your bow rather than just emptying your quiver and hoping that you hit something. Having such a low quantity of archers also makes it important that the player knows how to prioritize his targets, cuz hitting low priority enemies can be about as effective as missing your shots, even if you are killing unimportant players, you're still allowing the high value targets to do a lot of damage.

Only reason why Warband's multiplayer worked is because between 2017 and 2020, more players than not had enough honor to not spam an overpowered class that makes the game unplayable unless both teams are spamming the OP class. I do not trust the current Mount&Blade community with not spamming OP classes.

For which game mode do you consider the amount of cavalry to be an issue and why? And what do you mean by unrealistic - unbalanced or historically inaccurate?
With how Cavalry prices are inflated in Siege and TDM, even the most organized teams won't be able to have a large quantity of horsemen, hence why I imagine cavalry class limits can afford to be lenient.

Last edited:
I don't trust the multiplayer forums with giving a sane response
could that be because the vast majority of your posts ask for changes that noone else wants, and when people call you out you usually come back with a "oh you're just mad because you want the game to be unbalanced", when that is the furthest thing from the truth for most people there?

You have some very odd takes on balance. IMO, completly wrong ones. Going to another forum section to talk about them doesn't change that.

--

Having class limits as an option for server hosts would be neat. Having them enabled on official servers would be the equivalent of saying "ok, we give up on balancing this game", and it would ruin the casual fun of playing whatever you want.

it would ruin the casual fun of playing whatever you want.
And not having class limits ruins the fun of playing with melee weapons that utilize the game's directional combat system. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, the most optimal way to play the game is "spam archers, click heads, take cover". Even the weaker factions in the game can win against the stronger ones if the weaker faction spams archers and the stronger faction has too many melee units.

A "more casual experience" would be an increased presence of melee, and enabling all archer teams would eliminate other players' ability to play whatever they want cuz they can't actually play the game unless they stoop down to the all-archer team's level

I fail to see how "make the game unplayable for the enemy team unless they spam archers too" is a losing strat in siege.
Firstly if attackers go all archers they instantly lose. Defenders on certain maps like Domogtul, more of a map problem, can go very heavy archers. But they tend to lose eventually as they can't hold points. Maybe you should try playing as one of the melee fighters in such a team. You'll quickly see much of your team does nothing just playing as light archers and light infantry when they can't go archer. You'll slowly feel the pain of losing as your dumb team fails to hold anything. Note this is only a problem with smaller pop sizes but it's not as bad as warband where an all archer team on a very small server could be undefeatable when they defended.
I'm actually for nerfing ranged a bit but in a more reasonable way. When there's no team damage I think ranged weapons shouldn't do damage to people in melee, that or ranged team damage should be on with reflection on TW servers.

We're exploring class limits (in terms of having the option to completely disable certain classes) as part of the MP in-game admin panel which will be accessible to server hosts. Having it percentage-based is not something that will be there in the first iteration of the admin panel.
I'm a bit confused what you wrote here. Class limits were something until they stopped working and the code works via percentages. I've looked at the Calradic Campaign module which desperately wants cav limits and it has code that would work to implement class limits but it looks like it's never called. Can you tell us when class limits will be re-implemented?

Class limits were something until they stopped working and the code works via percentages.
We never had any class limits anywhere.
Can you tell us when class limits will be re-implemented?
As mentioned, we're exploring class limits as part of the admin panel efforts but the first iteration won't have them percentage based. If we don't run into any unforeseen issues, you'll be able to enable/disable certain class types via the admin panel.

We never had any class limits anywhere.

As mentioned, we're exploring class limits as part of the admin panel efforts but the first iteration won't have them percentage based. If we don't run into any unforeseen issues, you'll be able to enable/disable certain class types via the admin panel.
What's the time frame for that?

Back
Top Bottom