'Developer Reply' Tag / Marker for Forum Threads

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I think this would really help people to quickly access information about the game's development.

A few weeks ago I (again) made a plea for TW to start a pinned 'Development Progress' thread which could be updated every 2 or 3 weeks. With info like: "Here is what we are working on right now and these are the particular issues we are encountering".

So far the idea of such a 'development progress update thread' seems to have been ignored, rejected, or forgotten about.

So, if we cannot have that ... could we at least mark threads on the forum with a small 'dev reply' tag ? - so that we can quickly identify the threads where a developer has actually commented or replied?

This might also slightly reduce the need for a dev-team member to keep saying really helpful things like "but I partially answered this question in 'XYZ' thread six months ago, what do you mean you didn't notice? "

Last edited:
Yeah, as an on and off forum member it would be extremely helpful. Adding an option in threads like "Show developer posts only" would make it even better.

I don't follow forums closely, I just check it from time to time to learn about progress and get some news. Being able to quickly find developers' posts would make browsing this forum a far more enjoyable experience.

That's a good idea!
I would support that, however regarding suggestions..

We_Don%27t_Do_That_Here.jpg

I think this would really help people to quickly access information about the game's development.

A few weeks ago I (again) made a plea for TW to start a 'Development Progress' thread which could be updated every 2 or 3 weeks. With info like: "Here is what we are working on right now and these are the particular issues we are encountering".

So far the idea of such a 'development progress update thread' seems to have been ignored, rejected, or forgotten about.

So, if we cannot have that ... could we at least mark threads on the forum with a small 'dev reply' tag ? - so that we can quickly identify the threads where a developer has actually commented or replied?

This might also slightly reduce the need for a dev-team member to keep saying really helpful things like "but I partially answered this question in 'XYZ' thread six months ago, what do you mean you didn't notice? "
isnt that thread existing since day 1 or am i misunderstanding something? ( https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/known-issues.401168/ )

isnt that thread existing since day 1 or am i misunderstanding something? ( https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/known-issues.401168/ )

Well, that's more of a mega thread for every single reported bug or problem in the whole game.

What I was suggesting is in relation to each up coming patch.

"This is what we are working on with regard to patch 1.8.0 right now ... and these are some of the difficulties we are coming up against"

This would help to get rid of the feeling of total mystery + silence about patch progress.

It would make the community feel so much better informed and included. Doubt it will happen though.

Duh_Taleworlds had said a considerably watered down version of this idea might be possible / doable... but wouldn't contain much more new info. Probably more like a little development summary.

Last edited:
We won´t get this (check my signature).

Still tags for dev replies in threads would be nice.
Ah yes... I know TW will never change that policy. Sadly.

But Duh_Taleworlds had said some sort of mini development summary thread might be possible. However it wouldn't probably contain much new info... so therefore would probably be of very little value.

But I can't remember exactly how he phrased it because guess what? I cant find the thread! Lol ? got to love it.

Last edited:
Anyway, I hope someone connected to forum management will see the sense of dev reply tags on the forum threads.

Really simple. Really easy to do. No downsides.

Last edited:
could we at least mark threads on the forum with a small 'dev reply' tag ? - so that we can quickly identify the threads where a developer has actually commented or replied?
We have looked into the technical viability of this in the past. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as it sounds. Implementing this in a way that doesn't hinder the performance of the forum would be challenging to say the least but it's definitely something I personally would like to see added as a forum feature. I will post here if I have any updates on this in the future.

We have looked into the technical viability of this in the past. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as it sounds. Implementing this in a way that doesn't hinder the performance of the forum would be challenging to say the least but it's definitely something I personally would like to see added as a forum feature. I will post here if I have any updates on this in the future.

Ah, ok. Interesting. Well, thanks for the reply.

Hmm... I was thinking ... many other game forums manage to have these tags. Surely they can't be THAT hard to do without breaking the forum?

You can follow developers if you want to be notified of their posts.
But the developers keep changing, look at the MP guys. Are you supposed to track who is currently in the dev team? Is there a way to even know this reliably? Does it matter if some never post on the forum? Etc.

IIRC, the last time it was talked about the most feasible method to implement (i.e. not something that would have to be developed in-house) would have to check every post in every thread listed on the page being viewed for posts by users on a list of devs and update the formatting for those threads individually each time a page was called. To say it would hinder performance is an understatement. This post from a XenForo dev is dated from 2013, but it meshes with what I've heard and read more recently about the potential for such a feature. In summary, it would be very easy to highlight threads which are started by a dev, or where the dev was the most recent post, but information about all the posts between isn't available at the same level and so would require a much more intensive search process.

Ah to be honest, it just feels like yet another example of TW saying "Ah sorry, we can't do that - it's too complicated". And we aren't even talking about the game. Just the forum.

Yeah, it would need some new code to be written and then some testing. Ok. So do it.

There should be a position for this, like someone gathering all information from TW/Devs/Janitor and summarize them in a specific thread for that case.
I would call this position something like "Community Manager"? :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom