[DESIGN FLAW] No reinforcements in bandit lairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Ringwraith #5

Count
Old Guard
Yes, I get it, narrow approach, so only a few can get through at a time. But why on earth don't more arrive when the initial few are inevitably slaughtered? I've been trying to wipe out a lair of tundra bandits, and they keep killing my small group of knights with their ranged weapons. There's nothing I can do, knights are among the most powerful troops in the game and there's no way to use tactics to divide the enemy and fight only a few at a time. They all shoot at us all the time, and they respawn all over the place, so nowhere is safe. I've been at this for almost an hour and this lair is literally impenetrable. The kings and lords should get these instead of their fancy towns and casles, then their kingdoms would be safe for all eternity.

Yeah the random respawning is really annoying, it would be better if they couldnt spawn behind you, after all arent we supposed to be the ones taking them by surprise? Possibly it could be changed so that the first lair spawns 2 groups of enemies then no more, the same for the second lair only after the first lair is defeated, then the final lair spawns more groups.

I dont mind the lack of reinforcements but I do wish that the men you do take with you would be chosen in the order you have them in your party list, it seems to choose them a bit randomly since I have had weaker troops like trained rhodok spearmen along for the attack despite the fact I have a fair number of sergeants and shapshooters at the top of the list.

I agree. This quest is far too difficult with the difficulty settings maxed out.

Besides anything else, I don't see how more enemies could arrive. Shouldn't you be storming their hidey-holes?

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
Why don't you try bringing ranged troops then?  Or troops with stronger shields like Sergeants?
Tundra bandits and sea raiders have shields and powerful throwing weapons. You need high level armour to prevent being taken in one shot, and even then you're likely to get random'd in the head. Of course you're men will get obliterated either way.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
Why don't you try bringing ranged troops then?  Or troops with stronger shields like Sergeants?
Because they have small or no shields, so my eight or so ranged guys would get killed even faster than the knights, and then it's just me against hordes of respawning bandits.
Sergeants... I dunno. Didn't try those, but in my previous experience they're not all that stronger than knights, and when you're getting shot in the back, it doesn't matter how big the shield you carry in front of yourself is.

Papa Lazarou said:
Besides anything else, I don't see how more enemies could arrive. Shouldn't you be storming their hidey-holes?
They spawn near the caves, the implication being that they come out of them, but there's no way to go in and clear them. My best tactic so far is to send most of my guys to one cave and wait near another with one or two as backup. But there are more respawn points than that, so we still get shot in the back, and if I divide my guys any further, they'll just get swarmed and ass-raped. Aren't we supposed to be doing the ambushing?

Archonsod said:
Papa Lazarou said:
I agree. This quest is far too difficult with the difficulty settings maxed out.
Turn down the difficulty?

Just a thought :razz:
That's for pussies, whining about it on the forums is much more manly and mature. :wink:

I agree, I play the game on full difficulty and some of these are just tedious. Ringwraith, you summed it up well when you said "aren't we the ones supposed to be doing the ambushing?". It would be nice if we had to clear an initial area outside, then go inside and flush out the rest. Instead of random respawning where half the time you're waiting for more to respawn all the way across the scene. They're okay quests, but they could really use a lot of improvement.

Indeed, and thank you for the support.
I gave up on those tundra bandits and tried forest bandits instead, thinking they'd be weaker and easier to pick off with my bow since they don't have shields, but no dice. With all of my arrows gone and all my guys dead, it was just me and one last guy. I killed him and then new bandits spawned on all the spawn points at once. Instant pincushion.
**** that. I'm not going into another one of those deathtraps until they're fixed.

Design flaw sounds like an overreaction, and very subjective. The so called flaw isn't not having reinforcements, it's the difficulty of the quest, that I agree is way above the rest of the game situations. With max difficulty (my settings, that I refuse to tone down because the whole game should behave similarly with the same difficulty level). I would opt for decreasing the number the number of bandits in the lairs, however, instead of adding reinforcements. However...

Well it's not a bug, since it's not a malfunctioning feature, and I couldn't think of anything else to put there.
Perhaps I should've termed it 'misfeature'. :razz:

Am I the only one who loves bandit lairs?

Difficulty is perfect.

Reinforcements would completely beat the point of difficulty level. It's like asking for 90% of reduction of bandits in the lair.

If you find it too difficult you can:
1) not go there
2) learn how to play
3) think tactically
4) lower your difficulty settings

ps: if you get beaten sometimes it doesn't mean you're bad, it merely means difficulty level is good. Doing this and knowing you will win for sure is for me not fun.

Yoshi Murasaki said:
If you find it too difficult you can:
1) not go there
Right. There's a problem with a part of the game, so the solution is obviously to just ignore it!
Sorry, I don't buy that.

2) learn how to play
3) think tactically
I'd love to hear some tactical advice from you, oh master of bandit lair assaults.
No, seriously, if you know how to beat these ****ers, tell me. Please.

Having to fiddle with the difficulty slider is a sign of badly balanced game.

ps: if you get beaten sometimes it doesn't mean you're bad, it merely means difficulty level is good. Doing this and knowing you will win for sure is for me not fun.
Agreed, but neither is it fun to do this and know for sure that I'm going to lose, which is the way it's now. I can't get more troops, I can't get more powerful troops, I can't move them about any more efficiently. There's just no way.

Ringwraith #5 said:

No. Some people just sucks/want relaxed gameplay.

Game should be extremely hard, not everyone should be able to finish it at the hardcore difficulty. Humans are different, that why there is difficulty bar here (even not only one).

Asking for the game where everyone can beat it on the hardcore level is lame. If this quest is too hard for you, choose other quest, cheat or lower difficulty. EoT.

Don't blame the game that difficulty level is not on the same level during entire game. :roll:

AoC said:
Ringwraith #5 said:

No. Some people just sucks/want relaxed gameplay.

Game should be extremely hard, not everyone should be able to finish it at the hardcore difficulty. Humans are different, that why there is difficulty bar here (even not only one).

Asking for the game where everyone can beat it on the hardcore level is lame. If this quest is too hard for you, choose other quest, cheat or lower difficulty. EoT.

Don't blame the game that difficulty level is not on the same level during entire game. :roll:
Well I guess you're a fan of a different design philosophy than I am. IMO a well balanced game doesn't need a difficulty slider, and should be challenging, but not outright impossible. And winning or losing should definitely never be a matter of chance.

Stabbing Hobo said:
Also the number of bandits depends on your level, so later on there will be a lot of them, with you not getting more than earlier on.
Yeah, this should be the real issue being discussed here.  When I was low level these quests were an absolute breeze.  At level 30 I honestly think it is impossible.  A force of all vaegir guards should not be decimated by taiga bandits.  I think the level scaling being implemented in this quest is ridiculous especially since the reward is only 1500 denar and no relation gain...  They should at least increase the reward if they're going to increase the difficulty exponentially. 

Yoshi Murasaki said:
2) learn how to play
3) think tactically

I do play tactically trouble is that brigand spawn from many section I cleared before and then pummel my troop with arrow in the back, while I we fighting those that spawned where I am.

So why I suggest troop reinforcement OR enemy don't respawn where you already cleared, give me more enemy that spawn I don't care just don't make them spawn in that cave I already cleared and was no longer spawning anything when I left it for enemy on other side of camp. troop reinforcement is just there has a quick fix for me for much easier to implement.

If a lot of players are getting decimated at higher levels, then the quest needs balancing a bit. Maybe if the bandits had far fewer ranged weapons, or at least the later waves, because then the player could survive by keeping his men together without them all being turned into hedgehogs.

Back
Top Bottom