MP Delay on release of attacks

Users who are viewing this thread

To me it seems like they implemented multiple solutions to remove the bad parts of warband combat.

They made kick-slash not possible (imo good change)

They made body-turning feints harder/not spazzy, by making turning when holding an attack slower and limited (no spinning attacks). This is a great change imo.

They made blocking also have a small delay for some reason (I think this is bad as blocking become inconsistent and spamming becomes the solution especially for new players)

And they made the release delay, that we talk about here. I think this was made to avoid players holding an attack up into an enemy's face and then releasing. However, they implemented a change which make this not needed anymore; the inability to turn fast when holding an attack.

This is by far the most important thing that needs to be fixed. Far above class balancing and anything else.

Why?

Because we already have built in delays on our attacks, namely the initial click and windup as well as our server ping. Why add a 3rd variable? This doesn't even make it more realistic in any way. In real life nobody winds up for an attack, winds up a little more, and then attacks.

Edit: Another thing that needs to be said more often: This isn't about "Let's make this game exactly like Warband!" It's about promoting fun and skillful gameplay.

Last edited:
The delay on attacks doesn't seem too bad when playing singleplayer, but with the added delay from latency (even at low ping) the attack delay really does make weapons feel very clumsy especially 2 handed or unbalanced weapons.

The delay on attacks doesn't seem too bad when playing singleplayer, but with the added delay from latency (even at low ping) the attack delay really does make weapons feel very clumsy especially 2 handed or unbalanced weapons.

How low a ping you're talking about?

Edit: Another thing that needs to be said more often: This isn't about "Let's make this game exactly like Warband!" It's about promoting fun and skillful gameplay.

Anything is better than cheat infested MP

So when release an attack, then it's just not releasing, but move the arm(s) back once more and then releasing? This is very weird. Unless they are like never trained, they should just attack. If TaleWorlds ever researched about martial arts, just any, it's so basic, they should make those animations just releasing attack at once. There's nothing good about like move your arm(s) to backward and throw it.

Like any kind of strikes, start right at its position. There is no move your arm(s) or leg back and then throw it. We are not battering ram. In human body, the power is start from the legs that sets on the ground and then turning of your upper body.

So when release an attack, then it's just not releasing, but move the arm(s) back once more and then releasing? This is very weird. Unless they are like never trained, they should just attack. If TaleWorlds ever researched about martial arts, just any, it's so basic, they should make those animations just releasing attack at once. There's nothing good about like move your arm(s) to backward and throw it.

Like any kind of strikes, start right at its position. There is no move your arm(s) or leg back and then throw it. We are not battering ram. In human body, the power is start from the legs that sets on the ground and then turning of your upper body.

Go in singleplayer. Do you find it they move "as if untrained" there? Because that's how they move in multiplayer with a decent ping. Do you think they implemented separate animations for MP and SP?

Go in singleplayer. Do you find it they move "as if untrained" there? Because that's how they move in multiplayer with a decent ping. Do you think they implemented separate animations for MP and SP?
You're somehow still thinking that attack delay is tied to network lag. I've already told you this before, but this video comparing Warband to Bannerlord I linked in this thread was recorded offline, with network lag being non-existent. This effectively makes it the same as singleplayer.
Then you can take a look at this video where I show that this delay's length can vary depending on how long an attack is held.

Pretending that attack delay is related to input latency is objectively false and won't get you anywhere. It has already been acknowledged as a mechanic by the devs.

Last edited:
You're somehow still thinking that attack delay is tied to network lag. I've already told you this before, but this video comparing Warband to Bannerlord I linked in this thread was recorded offline, with network lag being non-existent. This effectively makes it the same as singleplayer.
Then you can take a look at this video where I show that this delay's length can vary depending on how long an attack is held.

Pretending that attack delay is related to input latency is objectively false and won't get you anywhere. It has already been acknowledged as a mechanic by the devs.

No, I am just saying. MP and SP are the same, I am only arguing against those that deny THAT fact. Not your insecurities about not being able to spam feints like in Warband.

I would think if your arm is already in the back position for at least 1H weapon waiting to thrust forward you shouldn't be then having to re-cock it back again and then forward after hitting the release. This is just bad gameplay. Add in latency and server lag this just makes forward thrust almost worthless. In fact I dare say you HARDLY see anyone doing anything except left/right swinging in multiplayer.

I would think if your arm is already in the back position for at least 1H weapon waiting to thrust forward you shouldn't be then having to re-cock it back again and then forward
+1. This whole "place your arm/weapon at the position, but move it backward before releasing it" is just weird. It looks "over actioned". If your arm or weapon is in the position (ready for attack), then it should be just released, like just "throw" it. This shows up especially when it's thrusting(stabbing).

You cant pre-emptively spam and then cancel it. They probably thought this would help beginners or something. Its a small sacrifice though considering that the block delay is just so bad to play with.

+1 Completely agreed. I like the intent, hate the implementation. "Charged attack" should just be when you hold down the released for a second or two, the way it is right now just feels wrong.

Please don't ruin the warband feeling, crispness and response of its combat system was always what made mount and blade stand out next to the comptetitors and kept it alive for almost 2 decedas.

Worst case scenario we can mod the animations and remove the first few charge up keyframes when the modding tools come out

It really becomes unfair in a duel.

TaleWorlds, I ask you to consider reducing the damage from a piercing strike and reducing the delay of lunge.

1. Two-handed swords are already quite difficult to abuse (hit accuracy), but with a delay the weapon becomes uncontrollable.
2. And it is not known what to learn. Because this delay spoils everything that the player took into account before the attack (distance, position, opportunity and necessity).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom