Dark Souls

Users who are viewing this thread

Well after reading parts of this thread I decided to pick the game up again, logged in, died and promptly proceeded to quit the game again.  :neutral:

Ringwraith #5 said:
Yeah, I haven't even tried the K+M controls. If anything, I might look into disabling them entirely, since accidentally bumping my mouse moves my view around, which is annoying.

BTW, I absolutely love that this game has what they promised for Skyrim, i.e. the ability to use any weapon or shield in either hand.

wr4YM.jpg

I wonder if there's a viable build for that. :lol:
There are actually a few shields which have some pretty damaging special attacks, such as the Spiked Shield and Pierce Shield, and the Bonewheel Shied is especially damaging with a lightning upgrade.

Also, would you summon me, Taleworlds?

1zdp5hl.jpg

10fxi15.jpg

Scully said:
I'd love for 2handed builds to be more viable, without having to roll around like a maniac.

Rolling around is like 90% of combat though! Shields might mitigate the issue but in the end I find them a waste of a weapon slot - they don't do anything better than the good old roll. That's why I've never used shields in the Souls games - I always go dual rapiers.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Are you sure it takes that many? I used probably about seventy or so to bring him down to 50% twice.
I killed him with his own tail anyway, so maybe next time.

Edit: So 20 or so hours into the game I've discovered that there's a sprint button. Mind = blown.

Try pressing the sprint button again while sprinting. Holy ****, he's jumping :wink:

Part of a weapons moveset has different attacks while rolling(sprint button with direction), while backwards dodging(tap sprint-button without direction) and while sprinting(hold button). You can also hit attack and forward at the same time for usually a kick, sometimes a special attack depending on the weapon.
Experiment, and you'll see a quite deep combat system and find some really cool weapon combos and movement patterns. If you are prone to go into PvP at some point - practice fighting mobs without locking onto them, it is a good skill to have.

aguds said:
You can also hit attack and forward at the same time for usually a kick, sometimes a special attack depending on the weapon.
Is it just me or is that particular feature more than a little fiddly? I have a really hard time pulling that off consistently and occasionally I do it when I don't intend to.

Also, the Gaping Dragon is a ****. I had those two NPCs with me that you can summon to help you out in the fight and all was going swimmingly. They aggroed the bastard, I cut off his tail and was getting ready to pummel him good. Then in a moment of insanity I decided to keep hacking instead of running when he turned to face me. And he just smothered me in his enormous fanged chest-vagina, killing me instantly. So now I'm short 8k souls and hollow. Wonderful.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Also, the Gaping Dragon is a ****. I had those two NPCs with me that you can summon to help you out in the fight and all was going swimmingly. They aggroed the bastard, I cut off his tail and was getting ready to pummel him good. Then in a moment of insanity I decided to keep hacking instead of running when he turned to face me. And he just smothered me in his enormous fanged chest-vagina, killing me instantly. So now I'm short 8k souls and hollow. Wonderful.

He's really easy one you remove his tail. Just don't make stupid mistakes like you did, Dark Souls punishes you for them unlike most games.

Those are the sort of moments that you need to train yourself to resist. In all action-RPG games, it's like this. From Monster Hunter to Demon's Souls to Dark Souls, whatever you do, do NOT deviate from the attack pattern.

Yep, learned my lesson. Now I'm trying to retrieve my souls after getting horribly murdered and eaten by the purple... whatever the **** they are in Blighttown. I have to say I enjoyed the game a lot more on the surface. This underground **** is getting old fast.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Yep, learned my lesson. Now I'm trying to retrieve my souls after getting horribly murdered and eaten by the purple... whatever the **** they are in Blighttown. I have to say I enjoyed the game a lot more on the surface. This underground **** is getting old fast.

That's exactly my view of Skyrim and other TES games. Shame there is **** all in them on the surface to do...

Also, should I get this game? I was tempted to get it before, and have been since I saw demons souls on PS3 when it first came out.

Ringwraith #5 said:

Sounds like someone just hit that ramp in difficulty he was waiting for.

Vieira said:
Ringwraith #5 said:

That's exactly my view of Skyrim and other TES games. Shame there is **** all in them on the surface to do...

Also, should I get this game? I was tempted to get it before, and have been since I saw demons souls on PS3 when it first came out.
You should definitely get it. One of the best games I've ever played.

Also, combine a Painting Guardian Sword with Power Within and Darkmoon Blade and you wreck ****

Vieira said:
Also, should I get this game?
Eh, it's tough to make a recommendation either way, to be honest. It is an amazing game if you're the sort of person that likes this kind of game. I compared it to Severance: Blade of Darkness earlier and I stand by that. Severance is one of my favorite games of all time, and as far as I can tell DkS is basically Severance 2. It has the same slow-paced, deliberate combat that discourages button mashing by what sometimes seems like really cheap mechanics, i.e. stunlocks and the like. If you're easily frustrated by that and you'd prefer to pull off amazing impossible combos with button mashing, this game is not for you. Personally I'm loving it but I can see how other people might hate it.
Oh, and I haven't really found anything to complain about yet. Well, maybe aside from the humongous console UI.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why I'm not seeing the infamous difficulty. I'm used to this. Severance is one of the hardest games ever, more so since you have just one life. It's impossible to really fail in DkS, you just respawn with no money/XP and either do a corpse run or farm enemies to get your souls back.

Splintert said:
Sounds like someone just hit that ramp in difficulty he was waiting for.
Not really. I was referring more the the aesthetic than the gameplay. The ghouls are pushovers if you lure them out one by one.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Vieira said:
Also, should I get this game?
Eh, it's tough to make a recommendation either way, to be honest. It is an amazing game if you're the sort of person that likes this kind of game. I compared it to Severance: Blade of Darkness earlier and I stand by that. Severance is one of my favorite games of all time, and as far as I can tell DkS is basically Severance 2. It has the same slow-paced, deliberate combat that discourages button mashing by what sometimes seems like really cheap mechanics, i.e. stunlocks and the like. If you're easily frustrated by that and you'd prefer to pull off amazing impossible combos with button mashing, this game is not for you. Personally I'm loving it but I can see how other people might hate it.
Oh, and I haven't really found anything to complain about yet. Well, maybe aside from the humongous console UI.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why I'm not seeing the infamous difficulty. I'm used to this. Severance is one of the hardest games ever, more so since you have just one life. It's impossible to really fail in DkS, you just respawn with no money/XP and either do a corpse run or farm enemies to get your souls back.

Anywhere I can buy Severence cheaply? I've lost my disc and you made me want to play it again. Been years and years since I played it though. :lol:

But I think I would enjoy it. I was never good at silly combo mashing, and thus never played any fighting games so I might enjoy this. But I was interested in it, and I've only heard good things. I probably won't beat it, because I'm quite a terrible gamer so the so-called difficulty may eat me up, but I think I would still enjoy it.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Not really. I was referring more the the aesthetic than the gameplay. The ghouls are pushovers if you lure them out one by one.
Ah. Well, the environment style changes a lot as you move further down. I didn't even get very far in the game and I experienced at least another 8 zones past the castle theme.

Vieira said:
Anywhere I can buy Severence cheaply? I've lost my disc and you made me want to play it again. Been years and years since I played it though. :lol:

But I think I would enjoy it. I was never good at silly combo mashing, and thus never played any fighting games so I might enjoy this. But I was interested in it, and I've only heard good things. I probably won't beat it, because I'm quite a terrible gamer so the so-called difficulty may eat me up, but I think I would still enjoy it.
If you enjoyed Severance, go ahead and buy DkS. It's basically Severance 2. I'd given up hope of ever seeing a sequel to that game and whaddya know, ten years later a developer from the opposite side of the world made it. They called it something else, but the look and feel of it is spot-on. The only thing it doesn't have is real-time shadows. Those were amazing back in the day.

And no, I have no idea where you might find Severance these days. Well, that's not quite true. I know a lot of places where you can get it very cheap, if you catch my drift. Whether you find that morally objectionable is up to you. Though to be honest I'd just get Dark Souls instead. It's better in every way.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Vieira said:

If you enjoyed Severance, go ahead and buy DkS. It's basically Severance 2. I'd given up hope of ever seeing a sequel to that game and whaddya know, ten years later a developer from the opposite side of the world made it. They called it something else, but the look and feel of it is spot-on. The only thing it doesn't have is real-time shadows. Those were amazing back in the day.

And no, I have no idea where you might find Severance these days. Well, that's not quite true. I know a lot of places where you can get it very cheap, if you catch my drift. Whether you find that morally objectionable is up to you. Though to be honest I'd just get Dark Souls instead. It's better in every way.

Well, I enjoyed Severance but never got really far, considering I was no older than 13 when I played it, and fairly new to gaming in general.  :lol:

But I do remember really liking what I did play, so I guess I shall try Dark Souls (and maybe Demon Souls too), while also trying to get meself a copy of Severence.  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom