Dark Souls

Users who are viewing this thread

Speaking of insignificant issues, what's with the message system? When I stand on a message, I get a prompt along the lines of "press a button to view this message". Just... why? Why doesn't it just display the message when I stand on it? You get a huge stonkin' text window either way, so having the prompt instead of the message itself is completely pointless. Very odd design decision, IMO.

And you know what? Might as well get it over with and complain about everything. The inventory system. Navigating the inventory is a pain in the ass, which isn't helped by the fact that you constantly pick up crap that you don't want due to the fact that the game doesn't tell you what the enemy dropped until you pick it up. I have no way to know if I'm about to pick up valuable titanite or another useless hollow soldier's shield that's just going to clutter up my inventory. Not cool.

The camera is not brilliant. Most of the time it's fine, but if you're directly above or below the enemy you have targeted, the camera goes ape****. That happens when the enemy is very small (mosquitoes) or very large (Sif, Iron Golem, sentinels). And sometimes scenery gets between the camera and your character, so you can't see what's going on. I swear it's the same in every 3rd person game. C'mon, people! Oni came out more than ten years ago, why can't you learn from it? If it gets between the camera and the character, turn it translucent. It's not that hard.

The translation is... inconsistent. Some of it is really clever, like "bonfire". Have you noticed that it's not wood that's burning, it's bones? It's a bonefire. Get it? Yeah, okay, so I'm easily amused. The dialogue is really good for the most part. But some of the other stuff is downright wrong. "Pillage corpse"? Not to mention the message system, which completely ignores the rules of the English language. And I'm told it used to be even worse before the patches. "Victory achieved" is actually the 'corrected' version of "You defeated". For ****'s sake, is it really that hard to hire a native English speaker to proofread your ****?

Hm, what else... The story's not really there, I'm in Anor Londo and I have no idea what the **** I'm doing. I'm a zombie that's been put in prison because people don't like zombies. Fair enough. I escape and then a giant crow comes out of nowhere, picks me up for no reason, and carries me somewhere. Once there, a random nameless guy tells me that there are two Bells of Awakening and that if I ring them both, something will happen. That's literally what he says, "ring them both and something happens". Okaaay... So I do that and then some weird snake thing tells me I need to acquire something called a "Lordvessel", whatever the **** that is. The fighting is hugely fun, but this whole time I'm like: "What's going on? What the **** am I doing? What am I trying to accomplish here?" It's not like this game has a minimalist storytelling style either, there's plenty of stuff. Lots of dialogue and item descriptions with bits of the backstory. But none of it really tells you what your character's motivation is, what the goal is. Contrast that with Shadow of the Colossus. Now that was some minimalist storytelling, but you got the essentials just fine. She's dead, he wants her back, a powerful being offers to raise her if he kills some monsters, so off he goes. Brilliant in its simplicity. But this game? I don't have a clue why I'm running around killing things. It's fun to kill things for no reason, but it would've been even more fun to kill them with a purpose.

Dark Souls' story is as implicit as it gets. Check out item descriptions, mainly the darksign, pay attention to the conversation with Solaire (he explains some things veiled as just a multiplayer raison d'etre) and if it still sounds ****ing impossible to understand, check out EpicNameBro's videos about the lore. There be spoilers of course.

Yeah, I know about those things. But that's just the backstory, I'm interested in the protagonist. He/she is just as bland as those you get in the Elder Scrolls series.

Actually, that reminds me of one more thing that I forgot to include in my previous post. What the hell is up with that face editor? I swear it's just copypasted from Oblivion. It's the exact same damn thing, down to the sliders that interfere with each other and the way lightening/darkening parts of the face creates incredibly fugly patches of greenish skin. I used to think Oblivion's face editor was Bethsoft's own deformed brainchild, but this is so similar in its awfulness that I'm now convinced it's some kind of off-the-shelf third party thing Bethsoft and From implemented in their respective games.

I found Oblivion's editor to be more useful than Dark Souls'. Same with Demon's Souls, it was horrible and the only way to tell a difference was to change hair styles or dramatically warp their face with sliders on 0 and 100.

Yeah, I'd much rather have a selection of five distinct and readily identifiable faces than a custom face maker with twenty sliders that do nothing (I'm looking at you, Two Worlds 2!). Thankfully unlike Oblivion, Dark Souls does provide that as well in addition to the editor, so I happily picked one of the stock faces and didn't touch the editor with a ten foot pole.

I love the editor in games like that. I always take the time to make my character as accurate a likeness of me as possible. Still, the slider editors leave much to be desired. The only game with a slider editor that I found to be excellent was Dragon's Dogma, which is not PC fare.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good face editor more than almost anything, regardless of whether it's slider-based or not, but DkS's and Oblivion's were garbage. I'd rather have a choice of static faces than a poor editor, but I'd rather have a good editor than a choice of static faces. Skyrim's wasn't bad, but I'm having a surprisingly hard time coming up with a title that had a really excellent one.

As for Dragon's Dogma, I'd love to play that. It's one of the few titles that make me envious of the dirty console gaming peasants.

Ringwraith #5 said:
As for Dragon's Dogma, I'd love to play that. It's one of the few titles that make me envious of the dirty console gaming peasants.

Muahahahaha

...My ps3 is on the verge of dying, and it makes too much noise for me to get into the game proper.  :cry:

Eh, Dark Souls is a lot better in my opinion. The multiplayer was crummy (you get to share your Neopets with other players but you can't interact with them), the game world was too small, the difficulty scaled poorly (everything was way too easy halfway through the game), and the story was unoriginal. I guess it was worth a single playthrough, but I lost interest somewhere around the middle and it just felt like work.

Well that's never a good sign when a game feels like work.

On the topic of Dark Souls, two things are starting to piss me off a lot: Firstly, invincibility frames that enemies get while they're transitioning from certain special animations into their idle animations. The ghouls in Blighttown letting go of ladders, for example. Or those boulder-throwing assholes down in the swampy part of Blighttown picking up their boulders. Or those humanoid shrubs in Darkroot Garden, after they jump out of the ground they do a little shivering animation. Your weapons simply pass through the enemies when they're doing those animations. And the worst thing is that in the case of ladders, you're not extended the same courtesy. They can hit you just fine. Oh, also? If you're going up a ladder and you bump into a ghoul going down the same ladder, you fall. If the ghoul is going up and you're going down on top of him, you fall. What the ****!
And secondly, the fact that there's no friendly damage. Enemies are perfectly capable of swinging and shooting through each other. So I'm in Anor Londo fighting one of those white robed bastards while three others are throwing their knives at me through him. There's difficulty and there's just plain bull****, and this is squarely in the latter category.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Don't get me wrong, I love a good face editor more than almost anything, regardless of whether it's slider-based or not, but DkS's and Oblivion's were garbage. I'd rather have a choice of static faces than a poor editor, but I'd rather have a good editor than a choice of static faces. Skyrim's wasn't bad, but I'm having a surprisingly hard time coming up with a title that had a really excellent one.

QNRbvh.png

Hey, keep in mind that instead of attacking guys while they have those frames, learn to adapt and position yourself while they're inactive. Also, the Painting Guardians aren't that tough if you attack them one at a time at close range and parry. Also, press R2 or whatever you PC guys do for a heavy attack while on the ladder to kick guys under you.

Yeah, I know I can do that, but it kinda goes against the spirit of the game. Dark Souls is supposed to be hard but fair and for the most part it is. It teaches you to use every little advantage you have and mercilessly exploit any weakness your enemy has. And then it gives you this situation, which looks exactly like something you should exploit, and goes: "Nope, can't do that, because we put bull**** invincibility frames in! Also, because you attacked and your weapon magically passed through the enemy without doing him any harm, he now gets a free swing at you before you can put your shield back up."

As for enemies being able to attack through each other, I suppose it's the lesser of two evils. The alternative is the Severance: Blade of Darkness approach, which did have friendly damage. The most efficient way of dealing with a group of enemies was to circle strafe around them until there was only one left.

Just bought Dark Souls today. Got to the bonfire near the Undead Parish, did die a few times along the way. (Damn those rats with their bloody poison underneath the dragon guarded gate!)
I did find that I got the hang of the combat somewhat, but I'm not very good at preforming backstabs or parries.

Don't worry about parries for now, those are pretty much useless except against a few select enemies, and you're still nowhere near the point where you'll have to fight those. Just get a shield with 100% physical damage reduction (you start with one if you're playing warrior or knight, otherwise visit the undead merchant in Undead Burg) and block. Letting the enemy hit your block and then quickly slashing them a few times will get you through 95% of encounters in this game. Think of it as parrying for noobs. :wink:

Did you kill the dragon yet? Did you get the sword from him? That made the early game significantly easier for me.
Buy a bow and several dozen arrows, stand underneath the bridge, and shoot the dragon's tail.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Letting the enemy hit your block and then quickly slashing them a few times will get you through 95% of encounters in this game. Think of it as parrying for noobs. :wink:

Bascially that is what I'm doing.
The dragon flew away already.  :???: I might have to get that bow and arrows for the next time I meet it.

Back
Top Bottom