Craziest thing you ever did in Warband, and got away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Just recently in Phantasy Calradia i attacked a castle with 9 troops (including me) and took it, only one was a mage, and only one was a stone golem, i had one cleric and one inquisitor, one elven hawkeye and one bodyguard, and other 2 were dwarf paragon and Calradian elite infantry, i kinda put this party together as a fellowship type thing, and tried to find a suitable challenge for it, i first went for a town (over 300 troops) and i did rather well at first, but i soon got swarmed with sheer numbers. So what was the crazies thing you ever tried in Warband, and managed to pull it off against all expectation?

Sieged a town of 500 (some 200 King/Vassal garrison and 300 town garrison) with only 100 troops...and winning....

Granted, it was the Vaegirs against a bunch of angry Huscarls + some archers + 10 more-or-less op troops that I made as well as it being on an easier difficulty, so I probably shouldn't be talking. ;/

Ghost of Razgriz said:
Sieged a town of 500 (some 200 King/Vassal garrison and 300 town garrison) with only 100 troops...and winning....

Granted, it was the Vaegirs against a bunch of angry Huscarls + some archers + 10 more-or-less op troops that I made as well as it being on an easier difficulty, so I probably shouldn't be talking. ;/

No disrespect man, but that´s some pretty standard stuff, i do that sort of thing all the time, i once had to fight about 200 sea raiders by my lonesome (it was in SOD Warlords, where bandits form parties up to 100 strong and i was ambushed by 2 of those, my little party was quickly overwhelmed) i survived by keep going backwards and slashing at them, granted my character was rather high level but it was still intense.

The son of an impoverished noble, I came to Calradia seeking adventure. From my humble beginnings, I cut a swath through the land with a party of poor recruits, training and equipping them until we were a feared company of knights. Swearing vassalage to King Harlus of Swadia, I was given rule of a fief outside Veluca.

Now an established lord of Swadia, I began to turn my thoughts to setting down roots in Calradia, and began courting a lady of the Velucian court, the fetching Lady Gaeta. My only hurdle was that Gaeta was betrothed to another. Nevertheless I intended to prove myself the better suitor, and show myself to be a man of virtue and honour.

That's when things took an interesting turn. It seems Gaeta's brother, Count Maetar, was named a traitor by King Harlus, sending the coward into hiding. Alas Lady Gaeta, being the trusting and noble lady that she is, felt honour bound to follow her brother. While this had the benefit of annulling her betrothal, it soon would make things rather complicated.

I was south of Veluca, having just emerged victorious over a band of brigands who had made the mistake of threatening my fief when a messenger entered my camp. It was from Lady Gaeta. She was in Shariza, having fled to the Sarranid Sultanate. What's more, she wanted me to join her at once, and attend the sultan's feast as her guest.

Having secured the safety of my lands, I departed at once, and sure enough I was awarded with an interesting evening with Gaeta, and revelry among the sultan and his most trusted emirs. Most had never heard of me, and viewed me as a foreigner of little consequence. How quickly that would change.

Days later, King Harlus declared war on Sarranid, and my banner was called to ride with the Royal Marshall. With my knights, I rampaged through the sultanate, defeating and capturing many of the same emirs whom I drank with not so long ago, including the traitorous Maeter, Gaeta's brother, although the slippery knave managed to elude my grasp.

As Swadia's armies advanced on Shazira, I feared for Gaeta's safety. I'd often march into enemy territory, fighting off patrols and sneaking into the city just to spend a few precious hours with her, but with the bloodshed getting closer and closer, I became anxious that she would be swept up in a violent siege. Luckily, Sultan's armies were soundly beaten, and a peace was signed.

As time passed, I continued my adventures across Caldaria. My sacking of the Khaganate city of Tulga and rescuing the Royal Marshall was sung across the land, and King Harlus awarded me accordingly, giving me the rule of Tulga. Alas, with peace returning, I ventured to Shazira once more, only to find Gaeta gone, and no one knowing my love's whereabouts. Even a chance encounter with Maeter in the field proved vain, as he too lamented his sister's disappearance.

Now I am the Royal Marshall of Swadia, leading Swadia's armies against a joint invasion of both the Nords and Vhaegar, routing their villainous trespasses from Swadian lands. Yet even now I cast my thoughts to my sweet Gaeta. I often wonder where she is, if she is safe, and if I will ever see her again. I surely hope so. There are many reasons to fight. For king, for country, but without the love of a good woman it is all for naught.

So yeah, the above might not exactly qualify as crazy as the OP intends, but I think its a fun examination of the kinds of stories that come out of the sandbox gameplay. Sure there are crazy battles and sieges, but where this game shines, IMO, is when your own story's emerge that immerse you in the game. Where's Gaeta? No idea. No one seems to know. Probably a glitch as all who I can ask simply state "I don't know." And yet as far as my character's story, it seems even a glitch can be interesting.

The Shield of Saidu Sharif
A Prophesy of Pendor tale

It was a cold night in Northern Fierdsvain. I was returning from the swift seizure of Poinsbruck, were I took advantage of the low garrison, winning the fief for me and the Koningur.

All of a sudden, I received a messenger from the Koningur himself! The D'Shar Khans are on the move to retake the southern castles of Sange Safid and my castle, Saidu Sharif. The king warns to prepare for an imminent attack, and for a counterattack. As such, I gave the order to ride south, passing through villages and the Sarleon towns for mercenaries.

I was passing near Ironoak Castle when I received news that an army of D'Shar dogs were seen near my fief. When I arrived in Avendor they were already a large army, and as soon I passed Amere they were besieging the fortress. I rode night and day to reach Sarleon, where I found a precious company of Barclay Heavy Infantry, who sure as hell know how to get the job done in melee.

I was lucky that there were no Singalian on the route. I avoided useless casualties and loss of time.

When I went inside the castle, 800 D'Shar were there, and 500 were on their way. Me and the garrison? 300. I tasked Donovan to train the recruits, helped by the more expert warriors. Good man Donovan, if it wasn't for his intensive over-night training, we would have lost. Meanwhile, I stayed in the keep with Frederick of Mettenheim, Sir Roland and Sir Jocelyn to find a way to use the castle and our superior infantry as an advantage. Staying on the walls was unacceptable, but if we weren't able to stop them on the ladder where?

I observed the layout of my castle for hours. The enemy couldn't use siege towers, so they would have used a ladder to get on the walls, meaning that soon they will come. There was only a place where they could deploy a ladder, the western side. They couldn't reach the keep from there, there was a tower on their way, so... And suddenly I found the solution.

The next day, we heard the horns. They were coming. As soon as I saw them, I roared to the soldiers on the battlements

"MEN! AT YOUR POSITIONS!"

We immediately retreated from the walls to the gatehouse, where my infantry and my cavalry would be protected from their arrows. Manwhile the archers stood upon the barracks, with the ladder on sight, killing most of the dogs who popped their head out. The few that made it, only saw a track of bodies leading to the gatehouse, but with no other corpse before that.

And this is how I earned the nickname "Doom of Khans"

That's a pro tip guys. If the enemy has bad melee units but way too much firepower, retreat to a place where they can't fire

I played a "knight-like" character which focused more on personal strength and less on the party. We were in the late game and it was peace time between my faction and the others so to save on the costs I stored most of my soldiers in my fiefs. However, hundredths days of war made the bandit and deserter parties quite formidable, and they caught up to me.  It was 15 vs 500+ I had the battlesizer set to maximum so all bandits spawned. As expected my party was slaughtered in the first 10 minutes. I then spend nearly 45 minutes riding around dodging arrows, bolts and throwing weapons, kill horses whenever possible until there was just one giant blob left of melee foot units, I was on half health and my horse only had a sliver of health left, 1 or 2 lucky strikes was all it would take to bring down my horse.

But with a lot of luck I managed to stay on my horse until the last 20 or so enemies were left. My horse was killed and I killed the first 15 before being pushed back, my shield broken and my health down to around 10%. They swamped me and I killed 3 of them. I chambered the hit of one of the last enemies and killed the other with it. The last enemy than chambered my hit and luckily in a reflex I blocked it and finished him off.

All in all the entire fight took me around 2 hours and was the most intense fight I had in Warband. 1 mistake could have finished me.

Blead said:
I played a "knight-like" character which focused more on personal strength and less on the party. We were in the late game and it was peace time between my faction and the others so to save on the costs I stored most of my soldiers in my fiefs. However, hundredths days of war made the bandit and deserter parties quite formidable, and they caught up to me.  It was 15 vs 500+ I had the battlesizer set to maximum so all bandits spawned. As expected my party was slaughtered in the first 10 minutes. I then spend nearly 45 minutes riding around dodging arrows, bolts and throwing weapons, kill horses whenever possible until there was just one giant blob left of melee foot units, I was on half health and my horse only had a sliver of health left, 1 or 2 lucky strikes was all it would take to bring down my horse.

But with a lot of luck I managed to stay on my horse until the last 20 or so enemies were left. My horse was killed and I killed the first 15 before being pushed back, my shield broken and my health down to around 10%. They swamped me and I killed 3 of them. I chambered the hit of one of the last enemies and killed the other with it. The last enemy than chambered my hit and luckily in a reflex I blocked it and finished him off.

All in all the entire fight took me around 2 hours and was the most intense fight I had in Warband. 1 mistake could have finished me.

I know the feeling.

Blead said:

I did a similar thing in AD 1257

Crowd surfed on the defenders heads during a siege. Jumped into a blob of them and just kept doing the weird animation when you can't reach the ground for 10 seconds until I got to the bottom of the stairs. I didn't get away with it though

Once fended off over 300 vaegirs all by my lonesome... but I cheesed the crap out of them by riding to just behind a hill (so they couldn't shoot me but I could shoot them) then riding away when they started to close in to repeat the process so not terribly proud of it..

I would say my craziest moments in WB gets boiled down to two events...

The first, pure luck but still. I was on the umpteenth round of a field battle when the AI stopped attacking me and instead just sat where they spawned until I got close. I got annoyed by this so on one of the rounds I loosed an arrow from my spawn right away just because the notion that doing so would somehow goad them into attacking me. Well it didn't, but I did pick off one of their troops somehow from across the map.

The other was when I was assaulting a castle, I have long since forgotten which but I think it was a Khergit one. The battle didn't go all that well, I lost a lot of troops, thought I had killed all of the defenders but there was one more somewhere that I couldn't find. Noticed that my few remaining troops were running into a wall. I looked down and saw a lone enemy troop stuck on the wall about half way down. I tried taking him out with javalins but no luck, couldn't find a crossbow or any arrows laying around so switched to my bardiche jumped off the wall and planted it in his face on my way down.

Having a Clan attack you on PW and losing your castle then taking it back by literally walking up to the castle's gates and going between them, right through them when they are looking the opposite direction with flag in hand and one player-companion to watch the stairs for incoming enemies while both of us are naked.

8.jpg
[/URL][/CENTER]

just testin

Back
Top Bottom