Couched sword damage

Users who are viewing this thread

One of those things which really surprized me in original Mount&Blade was the fact that the spear was the only weapon which one could use to perform couched damage. I'm not really medieval warfare expert, but I'm quite good in 18 century and napoleonic battles, where heavy cavalry were widely used.As an example, french heavy cavalry,such as dragoons or cuirassiers, which were armed with broadswords, were taught to use couched damage while charging enemy infantry. The first line of charging horsemen were trained to strerch their hands with weapons forward, aiming opposing infantrymen's chest. I'm not sure of the same practice during medieval cavalry charges, but I believe it would be the same.What I would really welcome in warband is an opportunity to perform couched attack with any weapon which can thrust and can be used on horseback. :mrgreen:

...that doesn't make sense. If they just extended their arms and ran their sword into the enemy, that's not couching, that's just stabbing them. If they don't put any force forth themselves then it would probably just slide off (assuming the enemy is wearing armor).

LuckyDuckly said:
...that doesn't make sense. If they just extended their arms and ran their sword into the enemy, that's not couching, that's just stabbing them. If they don't put any force forth themselves then it would probably just slide off (assuming the enemy is wearing armor).

I think he's saying they lock their arms and use the horse's momentum to drive the sword home.

Frankly, I don't see how this would achieve anything that can't be handled by simply thrusting with the existing animation.

If they don't put any force forth themselves then it would probably just slide off (assuming the enemy is wearing armor).

In case with french cuirassiers the enemy is not wearing armor. But let me remind you that in M&B as well as on the original medieval battlefield not all infantrymen would be armoured as well. Some of them would wear light? non-metallic armor, or be unarmored at all( archers for example).

I think he's saying they lock their arms and use the horse's momentum to drive the sword home.

Exactly.

It would make a great pose for screenshots, other than that it would be almost impossible to do and, in my opinion, kinda worthless.  Sorry, Admiral.

So basically a lazy man's version of stabbing from mount?

As much as couched lance damage is a lazy man's version of stabbing by spear from mount :mrgreen:

It would make a great pose for screenshots, other than that it would be almost impossible to do and, in my opinion, kinda worthless.

Well, in defence of my idea I would say that such strike could be good for players with two handed large swords, too slow to deliver a good stab on a high speed and long enough to reach the enemy before the horse kicks him. And the pose would be perfect for screenshots, I totally agree  :roll:

Back
Top Bottom