corona? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm still trying to stay inside, shopping raids aside. Gotta love seeing people looking at me like they've seen an alien when I wear the mask to the elevator, but at least most still keep them on in the marketplace/malls. Even though it's technically mandatory, people said **** it and I've yet to seen it being actually enforced. No surprise considering that our Prime Minister, I wish I was joking, declared that viruses are dormant during Summer :dead:

Jesus, just go out, man. It's not radioactive wasteland out there, it's unironically just a somewhat stronger flu, bro.

I don't understand how you can keep saying that after everything that has happened, especially since from what I understand you live in NYC. People I know, some of them young and healthy, have been intubated because of it. Some have died.

I am not even worried about catching it myself and having to be intubated (although that is always a possibility, no matter how young and healthy you are). I am just trying to do my civic duty and help contain the spread. My mother in law had a kidney transplant and is immunodepressed, if she catches it it's not going to go well for her. There's a lot of people in this country and in the world that have similar health issues.

Most importantly, this whole let's-shut-down-ah-we-can-reopen-jk-shutdown-again thing is ridiculous. If everyone had acted responsibly and stayed home as much as possible for a couple of weeks in May this would all be over now. Instead everyone did whatever and look at us, still grappling with it while the rest of the world is on its way to recovery.

Last edited:
Surely there's room between "lmao let's lick subway handles" and "i havent left my apartment in 6 months except for tactical grocery raids". Even in the generally overcrowded NYC, it's not a problem to walk around without exposing yourself to any plausible chance of contracting it. I just came back from a 2 hour walk around central Brooklyn, there was maybe 10 people I was closer to than 6 feet. I wore a mask and didn't touch anyone. If that still puts me in an ICU or in a grave, then so be it.

If I had asthma or immunodeficiency or shared a household with someone who does, I would be more careful, sure. I'm not stopping anyone in such situation of isolating themselves more, but I don't see a reason to drag the rest of the society into it, shutting down tens of % of jobs, putting tens of millions of people out of job. Immunodeficient people were immunodeficient before and the will be immunodeficient after, they will always have to take extra precautions. It sucks, it's not their fault, but it's not everybody else's fault either.

It's also absurd how nobody gave a **** about corona when the media had a new pet issue - the George Floyd protests. Some of the public health experts even went as far as saying that they're totes ok, but the protests against shutdowns, nope those were irresponsible corona-spreaders. Now that the Floyd protests are dying down, we're back to any public assembly is criminally irresponsible, bordering on terrorism

I am not talking about random walks around the neighborhood myself. I am talking about people who go out acting like if nothing was happening. Here in Dallas I haven't had a single grocery run without seeing people brushing against other people as they walk by, more often than not not wearing masks. Then we have people that still have dinner/parties/gatherings in their homes. People going to the petstore because "I was kind of thinking about buying a fish" and talk to the people working there close enough that you'd think they want to kiss them. Again, no masks.

And I agree that we shouldn't have to shut down the whole economy because of this. In fact, I am not persuaded that indiscriminate lockdowns ever were the way to go myself. And on this topic, here is the take of two doctors as published on the bmj, with opposite opinions:

All I would like to see is people taking this seriously and taking some basic precautions and using their common sense. You don't need to go dine in in a restaurant right now, you can buy the food and take it home. You don't need to go to a bar to have drinks inside. If you must have a beer with your friends, have the drinks outside in the parking lot while sitting in you car's trunk and social distancing. You most definitely don't need to have a college party where you bet with your friends on who is going to catch covid19 first. All of this is happening because people kept being told conflicting information from authorities, with many politicians insisting that "it's just a flu". That was irresponsible and borderline criminal.

As for the protests, I haven't seen any health professional say that they were fine and dandy. I have seen many of them being worried about them spreading the virus even more, as it would be reasonable, and I was worried about that as well. But you can't compare those to people who were protesting against shutdowns, at the time those shutdowns were the only reasonable mean that we had to fight covid. People protesting because of what happened to George Floyd had a very good reason to be there. And it would not have been as big of a thing if the government had handled the situation properly.

I was responding specifically to your statement of having been cooped up in your apartment since February.

I haven't seen any health professional say that they were fine and dandy.
See here or here.

But you can't compare those to people who were protesting against shutdowns, at the time those shutdowns were the only reasonable mean that we had to fight covid. People protesting because of what happened to George Floyd had a very good reason to be there. And it would not have been as big of a thing if the government had handled the situation properly.
The George Floyd protests didn't protest anything tangible. The cops involved in his death had already been arrested, in jail, about to be indicted. They were protesting abstract notion of (systemic) racism, which is something that will be around for a very long time anyway and it's not something any one politican or political body can rule or legislate on.

The shutdown protests protested something tangible that the powers that be could change basically overnight if they wanted to. Something that sent tens of millions of Americans on - should it last - a fairly short road towards homelessness and poverty.

I was responding specifically to your statement of having been cooped up in your apartment since February.

See here or here.

The George Floyd protests didn't protest anything tangible. The cops involved in his death had already been arrested, in jail, about to be indicted. They were protesting abstract notion of (systemic) racism, which is something that will be around for a very long time anyway and it's not something any one politican or political body can rule or legislate on.

The shutdown protests protested something tangible that the powers that be could change basically overnight if they wanted to. Something that sent tens of millions of Americans on - should it last - a fairly short road towards homelessness and poverty.

I could write another long post, but I get the feeling that we could keep talking about this for hours to no end without really coming to anything, so we shall agree to disagree I guess :smile: . I am at least glad that you take it seriously enough to wear a mask and practice social distancing.

I don't know about the US constitution but in Denmark protests are protected as freedom of expression. There is a ban on large gatherings and the police have had to step in a few times. But the protests were legal.
I can imagine something similar in the US. Protesters should simply be advised to get tested, and otherwise follow guidelines.

I don't know about the US constitution but in Denmark protests are protected as freedom of expression. There is a ban on large gatherings and the police have had to step in a few times. But the protests were legal.
I can imagine something similar in the US. Protesters should simply be advised to get tested, and otherwise follow guidelines.
Yes, all "peaceable assemblies" are protected by the constitution.
One down, three to go (Putin, Jinping, Erdogan).
But Johnson has recovered...

Of course protests have to be legal. I'm not referring to the widespread looting/vandalism/violence that some media sadly downplays as "understandable reaction" like it's part of some sort of justified revolution.

Well,

Matt Tlaibi said:
It’s the Fourth of July, and revolution is in the air. Only in America would it look like this: an elite-sponsored Maoist revolt, couched as a Black liberation movement whose canonical texts are a corporate consultant’s white guilt self-help manual, and a New York Times series rewriting history to explain an election they called wrong.

Back
Top Bottom