Constant Crash to Desktop (CTD) error - Help Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

JankoMega

Grandmaster Knight
G' day to you all fellow Persistent Frontier lovers and fans. I'm Janko, ex-developer from Mount & Gladius mod and one of the first Persistent World players. Ever since this mod started its development phase, I immediately fell in love with it, without being able to wait for its release. Now, as the release date has already passed and the mod's being played by hundreds of people, I feel like I'm the only one out of all, that's not "given" the permission to play the mod. Of course, I'm not the only one; There are lots of people having the same kind of issue with the mod, but also experience quite odd texture glitches and other problems that prevent them from playing the mod. I'm posting this thread in order to see y'all's opinion on how I'd be able to fix this problem and try the mod for the first time.
It's really depressing, as my PC can pretty much handle any type top notch games without a single problem. So the PC's performance is not a problem at all, though probably something else which (hopefully) somebody knows around here. Lets give it a go, shall we?
Firstly, I downloaded the mod right when it was released. I was very excited, as I really wanted to try out the Persistent World's unique code on the new era. As I extracted the mod into Modules folder and started it up on my regular settings (DX9 of course, High graphics etc. etc.) which I use pretty much in every mod, I saw something which I had never experienced before trying this mod out. I couldn't even join the server, as it constantly crashed every time I tried.
I went up to forums and searched around a bit in order to find what might cause the problem. And I "finally" found the main thing which might have solved the entire problem. I turned the Load Textures on Demand to OFF, and reduced all of my video settings to lowest possible, as I hoped that it might be the only way to play the mod. No progress was seen after doing so, as the game kept crashing right after loading the server's map.
I have contacted one of the modders, asking about the issue. With their suggestion being said, I switched to DX7 and tried playing the mod with both Load Textures on Demand set to ON and OFF. Apparently, once or twice I managed to join the server and, at least, walk around, but after several seconds it crashed again.
If any of you would be able to suggest anything on how I might solve this, I'd be really grateful. Heck, I'll throw my money at the screen for you. :smile:

Try increasing your render buffer size in rgl_config (just don't set it higher than your VGA memmory because it'll cause crashes). Limiting number of corpses could also help.

Believe me, when I said I've tried a lot of combinations, I actually meant I tried A LOT of them. I played on DX9 with Load Textures on Demand set to ON and OFF, with lowest video settings as possible, and same goes for DX7 render. Also, I tried having Environment Shadows set to Enabled just like the Character Shadows. None of those have worked.
My last hope was the suggestion posted by Oposum, above this post; I've increased my render_buffer_size to 256, from regular 15, but it apparently didn't work as well. I guess it's not meant to be played by me after all.
Raw PC Specs info:
4GB RAM Memory
240GTX Nvidia Graphics Card
(can stand pretty much any high-demanding game without a problem)
4.0GHz Quad Core processor
As I mentioned in the first post, my PC can handle almost any of the newest, high-spec games out there. I could play Battlefield 3, Shogun 2 and Red Orchestra 2 on High settings, and haven't had a single lag. Not to forget ArmA 3 as well.
The only way of fixing all this would be upgrading my PC. Can't think of anything else, honestly. :neutral:

Arthur_Pendragon said:
video settings their should be something called enviormental shadows and a few more things related to shadows make sure they are all on

Hmm, I have it turned off and I haven't experienced any problems with PW mods.

JankoSRB said:
Raw PC Specs info:
4GB RAM Memory
240GTX Nvidia Graphics Card
(can stand pretty much any high-demanding game without a problem
4.0GHz Quad Core processor
As I mentioned in the first post, my PC can handle almost any of the newest, high-spec games out there. I could play Battlefield 3, Shogun 2 and Red Orchestra 2 on High settings, and haven't had a single lag. Not to forget ArmA 3 as well.
The only way of fixing all this would be upgrading my PC. Can't think of anything else, honestly. :neutral:

Warband actually works better on older hardware. New graphic drivers have lousier performance with Warband.

Does the game crash to desktop with some error or do you just get disconnected from server? Do you use 32bit or 64bit OS?

Try checking how much memory Warband uses before crashing, 32bit apps usually crash when they use about 1.5 GB of RAM.
There is some fix to allow application to go over that limit, but I'm unsure if it works on 32bit OS.

Edit:
Also, try turning on instancing in rgl_config (make sure you're editing rgl_config not rgl_log).

Oh, Oposum, you're helping me more than the actual creators of this mod. Thanks, a lot for trying this much. :wink:
I already told you that I've changed the configurations in the rgl_config (not rgl_log, of course), and set the render_buffer_size to 256, which is quite optimal, I suppose, and shouldn't be higher. It really hasn't made any difference to the situation. Though, there's gotta be some other choice of doing this...
Thanks again! :wink:

I got the same problem. My computer can handle any mod, but this one continuously keeps crashing when I try to enter the server.

Oh and remember I'm not a modding expert, I'm just a noob. Help!

We have a fix for Beta 3. It turns out something was wrong with the files, they were not using the right textures causing it to reload over and over again which causes you to crash. They are working on a fix right now so for Beta 3 there will be no more problems.  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom