Companion's and lances

Users who are viewing this thread

slyspy

Sergeant at Arms
Just a quick question:

Is there anyway to stop my companions trying to stab people with their lances when dismounted?

I'm sure at one point playing PoP they switched to their hand weapon, but currently they seem to enjoy getting in peoples faces and jabbing them with a twelve foot pole.

slyspy said:
Just a quick question:

Is there anyway to stop my companions trying to stab people with their lances when dismounted?

I'm sure at one point playing PoP they switched to their hand weapon, but currently they seem to enjoy getting in peoples faces and jabbing them with a twelve foot pole.

I think it's random, and they really enjoy being distrupted by enemies while trying to use a lance in close combat. I don't equip them with lances anymore, only maces and warhammers.

If you have only companions in your army there is one way though: you can equip them with lances AND a blunt weapon, so they will change to shorter weapon, and stop lancing once you tell them the use blunt weapons order.

I gave up on giving my companions lances; they didn't seem to use them reliably even when mounted. So I changed to putting them on chargers/warhorses and using morning star, shield, 2h sword and heavy warhammer/mace...I end up happy whatever they are fighting with and they seem much more effective.

Don´t put the lance or polearm in the topmost weapon slot - it´s the melee slot. Put their sidearm into the first slot, they´ll switch to it once dismounted but use the lance on horseback. If you put the lance into it they´ll use it both booted and on horseback and that´s idiotic.

noosers said:
Don´t put the lance or polearm in the topmost weapon slot - it´s the melee slot. Put their sidearm into the first slot, they´ll switch to it once dismounted but use the lance on horseback. If you put the lance into it they´ll use it both booted and on horseback and that´s idiotic.

I have always left the top slot for swords and axes ect. and they still fight in melee with a lance most of the time. So I just give them another shield or something, or use a massive range two-hander.

My guys are quite effective with it when mounted, well at least when they charge when i tell them to (wich sometimes i forget :p), some have runeswords on them, and they still stubborn on using lance when surrounded by other cavalry, or when on foot... quite dumb and easy to script imho

make a script condition, if no horse, change to short weapong (wich can be made to vary between the various weapong reach values 0-150, or something)

noosers said:

Tried that, it doen't seem to work. Not all the time anyway.

Strange thing is that I'm sure that they used to switch 100% of the time, but I might be thinking of another mod or even Native.

shikaka said:
If you have only companions in your army there is one way though: you can equip them with lances AND a blunt weapon, so they will change to shorter weapon, and stop lancing once you tell them the use blunt weapons order.
Would this work in warband, if companions have their own a classification?
Like "Companions", "Lance&Blade" or even "Immortals"

Back
Top Bottom