Combat realism in Brytenwalda the discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Cavalry wasn't unimportant in warfare, even if it was not a decisive factor on the battlefield... and getting rid of them completely because the AI can't handle them well on the battlefield is a bit harsh, even for me, who's usually in support of not giving the player a lot of options the AI can't use.
After all, by that logic, archers would also have to be removed, because I honestly can't remember when enemy AI archers ever did any significant damage, except when they were shooting at theows or other unshielded rabble.

Within the current system, a bit of restraint will go a long way in dealing with these issues though, so I don't see the need for any drastic measures.

Maybe the AI could be made to dismount at the start of a battle based on the horse to foot ratio, so they'll charge in on horseback only when that charge actually has a chance to seriously damage the enemy infantry.
(I.e if army A has 20 cavalry, but army B only 30-odd infantry, the cavalry stays mounted. If army B had 50 infantry, they'd dismount... the exact ratio would of course have to be found through experimentation).

I've done my own version here.
Basic Changelog
Slightly faster one handed weapons
Short weapons significantly faster
Spears significantly in attempt to balance them
Bows have higher shot speed and range, slower speed in shooting, changed damage to cut to take into account armor
Most mail and metal armours increased
Helmet armor increased
Horse health decreased
Throwing weapons damage increased

So, as of now, unarmoured troops are in trouble, and well armoured troops are pretty well off unless they encounter piercing or throwing weapons while unshielded.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21144567/item_kinds1.txt

LittleJP said:
I've done my own version here.
Basic Changelog
Slightly faster one handed weapons
Short weapons significantly faster
Spears significantly in attempt to balance them
Bows have higher shot speed and range, slower speed in shooting, changed damage to cut to take into account armor
Most mail and metal armours increased
Helmet armor increased
Horse health decreased
Throwing weapons damage increased

So, as of now, unarmoured troops are in trouble, and well armoured troops are pretty well off unless they encounter piercing or throwing weapons while unshielded.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21144567/item_kinds1.txt

sounds pretty good to me!
thanx for the .txt-document!

Back
Top Bottom