Coders sought for melee combat game prototype

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a coder to help with a small project that my brother and I are working on. We want to develop a prototype of some mechanics suitable for a hand-to-hand combat game.

The system we wish to test covers armed hand-to-hand combat between two or more fighters. The design came partly from my experience working on the Combat Animation Enhancement mod for Warband (where I learnt about character animation, and the relationships between animation and mechanics), and from our understanding of the principles of historical martial arts. Our hope therefore is that our combat system will allow freedom, tactical depth and seamless, realistic animation based on a few broadly applied, intuitively logical rules. This is in contrast to games in which combat involves the use of isolated “powers” or “abilities”.  In a general sense our planned combat system is similar to the combat systems in games like Warband, Prince of Persia 3D, Jedi Knight II and Die by the Sword, but with a few more variables (and we hope, therefore, more depth).

Our team for the prototype will be complete once we are joined by a coder. We currently have an animator (me) and modeller (my brother) who can produce the assets needed for prototyping, and we have planned the mechanics and their logic in detail. (In fact we began coding the prototype ourselves with some success, but ran into problems due to lack of coding experience and documentation for the engine we were using.) Given the mechanics, we expect that the code will be relatively simple, being probably less complicated than the code for the full set of Warband’s hand-to-hand combat mechanics. In other words, given the extent of our plans and our current team, we feel there is a good chance that we will finish the prototype if we are joined by a competent coder.

We are looking specifically for a coder able to work with the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), but are also happy to hear from those more familiar with other engines. Note that we also welcome creative input from all team members.

If you’re interested in joining the team or would like more information, please send an email to [email protected] or send me a PM.

Feel free also to ask any questions here in the thread, but be aware that I don’t want to give away all our secrets yet.

I'd like to know a little more about how you plan on implementing melee, which I'm sure you're keeping secret. I've been trying to get in to UDK myself as I feel limited by the less extensive engines I've been using. (Unity is amazing, don't get me wrong, but it lacks some of the extensive object orientation that is already built in to game engines like UDK.) However, a more experienced coder may be what you're looking for, but I'll keep a vested interest in this project, I do very much enjoy CAE and am sure you'll make an amazing project.

Moral support is also appreciated  :razz:

And while we don't want to give everything away, we can probably answer most specific questions to some extent. We have pretty thorough plans, but we're still keen to hear what people would and would not like to see from this kind of project.

Back
Top Bottom