Clan Roles: We Need More Choices

Users who are viewing this thread

Rycon Caldestan

Sergeant at Arms
Hello all,

As the thread suggests, I'd love to see the rest of the non combat skills turned into "roles" and have a few points to consider
We currently have: Clan Role (Skill)
Surgeon (Medicine)
Engineer (Engineering)
Quartermaster (Steward)
Scout (Scouting)

1. I suggest adding the following:
    1. Merchant (Trade)
    2. Drill Sergeant (Leadership)
    3. Blacksmith (Smith)
    4. Rascal (Rogue)
    5. Strategist (Tactics)
    6. Wheedler (Charm)
  2. Maybe we could then assign a companion up to two roles?
  3. Maybe roles get two skills combined?
    1. Scout & Rogue
    2. Smith & Engineering
    3. Trade & Steward
    4. Leader & Tactics
    5. Charm & Medicine (Weakest pairing in my opinion... but hey, bedside manner?)
I personally like 1&2 the best, but 3 is a brainstorm.

Thoughts?

That would be pretty cool. I want to give my 10 children something to do :grin:
But on a serious note, it would be neat to actually have more roles to make better use of the inevitable eventual growth of the clan once generations have been properly implemented.

Yes, I was thinking about this today, there is currently no strategist for your party. I think they will implement this anyway, otherwise there is no point in having companions with high tactics, right?

1 would really help level some if the more difficult to level skills. I wish we could also assign more than one companion. As is I have my wife as steward, she is high level which is great, but I can't train anyone else in steward while she is in the role and replacing her with someone else would cut my party size a ton. Plus I can't use her for something else without hampering my party.

Yes, I was thinking about this today, there is currently no strategist for your party. I think they will implement this anyway, otherwise there is no point in having companions with high tactics, right?
TW does have some of the companion quests tied to tactics, so there at least is something currently implemented that needs companions skills at 'x' threshold. Also, as others have stated, it does effect their ability when leading their own party.

That would be pretty cool. I want to give my 10 children something to do :grin:
But on a serious note, it would be neat to actually have more roles to make better use of the inevitable eventual growth of the clan once generations have been properly implemented.

Wow, I will admit I only considered this from the perspective of companions. This makes even more reason when you consider your point of family growth.

Thanks for the brainstorm and feedback all.
any fantastic people that are also modders want to take a crack at it =D

That's actually a pretty good idea. Imagine if every companion led squares of 20 something units, goddamn the potential of this game still continues to amaze me.

Game already has it (sort of), you just need to put them in divisions and let AI command it. Similar to armies. Of course right now it is only for fun, as their is no mechanic that makes the sargent (your companion) skills do anything in particular.
-> a example is to use your companion as the banner holder (well until TW re-introduces the feature themselves). I do that right now just for fun-factor

But I was actually talking about companion parties (similar to lords), as you can have a few of them leading their own parties in the campaign as members of your clan. Having high tactic helps them. So you first need to train them (or hire commanders from the start).

Once we have more jobs for clan members (governor, party commander, gang leader, caravan master, quest leader, etc) they will also need to rethink the roles available.

And lets not forget we need some sort of position for the [heir] of the clan.

Game already has it (sort of), you just need to put them in divisions and let AI command it. Similar to armies. Of course right now it is only for fun, as their is no mechanic that makes the sargent (your companion) skills do anything in particular.
-> a example is to use your companion as the banner holder (well until TW re-introduces the feature themselves). I do that right now just for fun-factor

But I was actually talking about companion parties (similar to lords), as you can have a few of them leading their own parties in the campaign as members of your clan. Having high tactic helps them. So you first need to train them (or hire commanders from the start).

Once we have more jobs for clan members (governor, party commander, gang leader, caravan master, quest leader, etc) they will also need to rethink the roles available.

And lets not forget we need some sort of position for the [heir] of the clan.
I meant more like the Roman cohorts of organized and perfect shield squares. Damn shame the battle and map size is so limited, would love a Total War: Bannerlord with massive armies of Total War and being able to ride around and cheer with my men in the flesh like in Bannerlord. We can only dream, I for one don't genuinely believe they will go that far but just... It would be fantastic.

I meant more like the Roman cohorts of organized and perfect shield squares.

that is what the game has. You put troops on divisions, you can them set the formation order of those divisions and the general formation of the army. The game doesnt have testudo, but it has shieldwall, etc.

and you can put your companions on those divisions. Hence why I used some of them as banner holders.

to go further like in Total War ... maybe in the future. Right now even the perk for pre-battle formation and the ability to change divisions is broken (it resets itself). Right now the focus is [low strategy] and [more action].

on battle size: you can go beyond 1000 with mods. But right now its too early for that, unless you have a quite powerful computer. It should be common in a few years (2-5) when people are using newer hardware (even the middle-cheap ones). Think 2000 or more instead of 1000. Altho I doubt we will see 10000 lol, but who knows what will happen in 10 years...

that is what the game has. You put troops on divisions, you can them set the formation order of those divisions and the general formation of the army. The game doesnt have testudo, but it has shieldwall, etc.

and you can put your companions on those divisions. Hence why I used some of them as banner holders.

to go further like in Total War ... maybe in the future. Right now even the perk for pre-battle formation and the ability to change divisions is broken (it resets itself). Right now the focus is [low strategy] and [more action].

on battle size: you can go beyond 1000 with mods. But right now its too early for that, unless you have a quite powerful computer. It should be common in a few years (2-5) when people are using newer hardware (even the middle-cheap ones). Think 2000 or more instead of 1000. Altho I doubt we will see 10000 lol, but who knows what will happen in 10 years...
I didn't even know you could assign companions as sergeants.
Well I can barely take 600 on mostly low-medium, this is one of the few games where I had to lower my settings substantially on this pc. They just gotta improve the optimization.

Merchant (Trade) - Good idea, idk about the name Merchant though as to me that implies they are a business person, who wouldn't really be travelling with a clan.

Drill Sergeant (Leadership) - For increasing rate troops gain XP? Yes please, but change the name. I agree it sounds too modern.

Blacksmith (Smith) - No problem with this one

Rascal (Rogue) - What is the purpose of this exactly? The name 'Rascal' sounds like a role you would give to a 5 year old

Strategist (Tactics) - What would be the purpose of this?

Wheedler (Charm) - I don't think this is necessary, and the name isn't great.

Overall I like the way you are thinking, it would be nice to see a few more options - but I think having too many would take away from upgrading your own character. Why bother increasing your own skills at all when you can hire a companion to do the job for you? With this system you are suggesting the player would only need to focus on their combat skills, which I don't like the idea of.

Back
Top Bottom