Chess!

Users who are viewing this thread

The elephant in the room.
oBy9a.jpg

I don't know how you can call chess appeasing the SJWs, I mean it's literally a game where black and white people wage war against each other, and as if this wasn't enough, white always make the first move.
If anything, its the least politically correct game we have.

Also, Russia is so woke we still call it vizier (just a little different word for it) instead of queen. Chess FTW.
Funnily, agadmator has a video in which he speculates why his stream from a chess tournament was taken down by YT (and his appeal immediately rejected) for breaching community rules. He said one of the reasons he can think of is his commentary mentioning black and white, white always being in a better position, and stuff like that. Quite amusing, really.

Anyway, since my New year resolution's was to learn chess / get better at it (after numerous years of failing to learn french :grin: ), I am playing almost daily now. Not like there is much to be done in a lockdown anyway. Currently sitting at +-1400 elo at lichess. If anyone wants to play, just PM me here.

At the moment, I prefer it to playing RTSs online (however uncomparable these games may be), simply because chess are much more predictable, transparent, slow (not plying bullet or rapid yet...) and clear and thus, to a degree, much more satisfying. And if I make a bad turn and lose, I only have to blame myself instead of Merkava IIID BAZ, crossbowmen or whatever other stupid design there is in another games.

10/10, chess are beautiful!

Funnily, agadmator has a video in which he speculates why his stream from a chess tournament was taken down by YT (and his appeal immediately rejected) for breaching community rules. He said one of the reasons he can think of is his commentary mentioning black and white, white always being in a better position, and stuff like that. Quite amusing, really.
I didn't know that, it's actually hilarious.

Anyway, since my New year resolution's was to learn chess / get better at it (after numerous years of failing to learn french :grin: ), I am playing almost daily now. Not like there is much to be done in a lockdown anyway. Currently sitting at +-1400 elo at lichess. If anyone wants to play, just PM me here.

At the moment, I prefer it to playing RTSs online (however uncomparable these games may be), simply because chess are much more predictable, transparent, slow (not plying bullet or rapid yet...) and clear and thus, to a degree, much more satisfying. And if I make a bad turn and lose, I only have to blame myself instead of Merkava IIID BAZ, crossbowmen or whatever other stupid design there is in another games.
I'm like 1450 in blitz, a bit higher in rapid, still haven't decided which one I like more.
I like both chess and RTSs, in fact AoE2 is in many ways very similar to chess: you got different openings, different endgames, different decisions you gotta make in the process to adapt and overcome. But I see your point, chess is easier to learn and the game balance is amazing.

In AoE you don't see your opponent's base and have very little time to think about countermoves :razz:

Oh, I forgot to add that I only play 30 min classic, as I am too stupid to think quickly enough for blitz or rapid.

In AoE you don't see your opponent's base and have very little time to think about countermoves :razz:

Oh, I forgot to add that I only play 30 min classic, as I am too stupid to think quickly enough for blitz or rapid.

As someone who spent a decent number of years playing seriously (and for what I worth I am rated 2055 FIDE, although that would collapse rather quickly if I started playing tournaments again today), playing longer time controls is definitely the way to go if you want to improve. Although I think that one can still benefit from blitz as long as you go back and look at your games to try and figure out what you did wrong (and in that regard playing online offers more than on the board, since you physically can't write down your moves in blitz while things like lichess will record the moves for you and even provide computer analysis).

You are literally god if you can play bliz or rapid

I never enjoyed playing with less than 3 minutes myself because it devolves in moving as quickly as possible trying not to hang your pieces, even for relatively good players. 5 to 3 minutes is tricky but you still can play actual chess with some practice.

I never enjoyed playing with less than 3 minutes myself because it devolves in moving as quickly as possible trying not to hang your pieces, even for relatively good players. 5 to 3 minutes is tricky but you still can play actual chess with some practice.
I think its probably more for people who can think fast since I have never liked it I like having time when I play so I can actuly think

I love that despite playing 30 minutes for stupid people and taking like 6 minutes for a critical move, once I open analysis, I immediately - even without engine - see a better move :grin:

I reminds me of my days back at engineering uni, where you see defects in your blueprints the second it starts coming out of a printer :grin:

Drama! The world of chess is in shock!

Carlsen withdraws from cup and tweets what can only be interpreted as allegations of cheating.
Unprecedented!

Update:

Last edited:
The plot thickens... Elon's anal vibrator theory leads on betting sites. He hopes to have this distract from his failed case against Twitter and the pending forced acquisition.
Does anyone know how Hans cheated against Magnus Dickus?

The plot thickens... Elon's anal vibrator theory leads on betting sites. He hopes to have this distract from his failed case against Twitter and the pending forced acquisition.
Does anyone know how Hans cheated against Magnus Dickus?
The reports I heard didn't deny previous cheating using computer generated moves, but doubted involvement in Carlsen's recent loss. They said Niemann's moves only matched AI ones 60% of the match while Carlsen's moves matched AI one's 30%. In other words, Carlsen played well below his best whatever else happened and Niemann's performance was about expected for that standard rather than artificially inflated.

BTW Elon's more interested in his peace plans for Ukraine, than being sued by Twitter. An $80 million donation of satellite phones to support Ukrainian command and control has been forgotten now that he's suggested Putin should keep Crimea as a sweetener to stop the killings.

I moved to playing on lichess a couple of years ago, i'm 1634 on blitz and 1727 on rapid, but i somehow prefer 5+0 blitz games (have 3400+ matches played on it alone).
If anyone has lichess account and wants to friend up and play, i'm up for it (though the last time i played was apparently march 2021 according to the app).

Back
Top Bottom