Cheap Gaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Shatari said:
Odd, I got by fairly well on a Pell Grant by going to a community college and using low income housing. I guess that depends on where you live though.
It depends on where you live, where you're going to school, and what your level of financial need is. Some places don't take part in the Pell Grant program, for example. Likewise, financial need is a very tricky thing, a lot of people are in the "not rich enough; not poor enough for people to care" and receive little-to-no money, leaving them a huge financial burden that they usually have to get a loan to pay off--and despite whatever the government does or says, college loans are often migraine-inducing ordeals that will sap an unduly significant chunk of money from the very thing they were meant to finance (the delayed gratification of a higher-paying, degree-based job), delaying many life milestones (ie having kids or buying a house).

Trevty said:
It's too bad that offering free university education to all (or, the criteria that other countries use) wouldn't be viable.

Don't a lot of European countries already do something like this to some effect?

Elisianthus said:
I get all my tuition fees paid, and a stipend towards living.

Yet you are whining about not having money, must be tough  :roll:

Yes, but aside from everything being screwed up financially, there's the matter of prestige coming a lot from the number of rich kids, general wealth, publicity, sports teams, and other junk rather than the merit of its works or the quality of its students. Likewise, you've got the conflicting ideas on why people should go to university. The old idea that universities are for rich kids to spend time fooling around and partying, and the new idea that absolutely everybody not only MUST go to college, but NEED a 4-year degree (which creates problems in and of itself by causing a sort of degree inflation).

It seems (to me at least) that the US just can't seem to understand that Universities should exists as two things: places of research, learning, knowledge and innovation and an avenue of social mobility for the qualified and interested.

krik said:
I'm one of the only people I know who wants to go to college to learn and not just to have a degree.
I spent over 4 years not getting a 2 year degree, so...

Corndawg said:
I keep getting excited thinking there's a bunch of good deals for games.

Then I realize it's just you twits discussing this crap.
Fine, fine. Here:
Snorms as a PWYW at IndieGameStand.
Towns for 50% off.
Cthulhu saves the world/Breath of Death 7 combo pack for 50% off.
Civ3 Complete for $1.24.

Shatari said:
Assuming they fix the inability to actually download them, there's a Tabletop RPG bundle up right now that has the core rule books for 'Carmine: A Role-Playing Game of Alchemical Fantasy', 'TIER: The Enhanced Roleplaying Game', 'Spears of the Dawn', and 'Legion', as well as some expansion books for Carmine, and one for Spears of Dawn.

As I mentioned though, currently you can only download the expansion books, and only by logging out and logging back in (though I'm sure they'll fix that).
I have figured out what the problem was: The actual download link for the main books is not attached to the account or the email that you sign up with, it is instead sent to the Paypal account address that you actually used to pay for the purchase.

Elisianthus said:
MadocComadrin said:
Elisianthus said:
Wish I had more'n 33 pence in my bank right now as that's the sort of thing I'd love to support. Goddamn Government seems to think students stop needing to pay bills, rent and eat from June through August.
Do they pay you a stipend or some such during classes? You don't get squat in the US unless you're poor, and that just pays for college expenses. Hell, half the time you have to fight to even get a decent loan.

Due to Scotland's surprisingly generous system for Scottish Students who go to Scottish Universities, I get all my tuition fees paid, and a stipend towards living. With the student loan on top of that (Goes through the Government as well, bit fiddly), it's enough to live off.

\o/

Anyone's got some sort of gift code for Marvel Heroes? The game is fun, but I don't want to play as any of the initial heroes further and the only way you can get new heroes is by buying them with real money or with an extremely low drop chance. So I'd appreciate playing as Deadpool or Venom from the beggining. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom