Change how much money monasteries give you?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevehoos said:
Again, my only issue with this is why do it at all? Just to get an honor loss? It is not worth the $ or the time spent. One has to maximize efficiency when playing these games. Raiding a viking sea party is by far the most worthwhile venture.

Different people play differently. There were no significant monastery raids after 834 historically, because there was not much to take anymore, so raiding slowly turned to migration and settling. So, yes if you aim to do only the things that benefit you the most, then raiding them probably won't be high on your agenda.

Only if they are christian, no effect on pagan lords. It affects some ladies though.
Ok, I don't think I get it. What does honor do for pagan lords, if it does not affect your relation with them?

There were no significant monastery raids after 834 historically, because there was not much to take anymore, so raiding slowly turned to migration and settling. So, yes if you aim to do only the things that benefit you the most, then raiding them probably won't be high on your agenda.
Well, it still seems a bit silly that the best income is by killing and enslaving your own countrymen and selling their stuff with no retaliation since they are considered bandits? There is already some form of extortion in the game, maybe it can be fleshed out a bit into full http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danegeld?

serj said:
Only if they are christian, no effect on pagan lords. It affects some ladies though.
Ok, I don't think I get it. What does honor do for pagan lords, if it does not affect your relation with them?

There were no significant monastery raids after 834 historically, because there was not much to take anymore, so raiding slowly turned to migration and settling. So, yes if you aim to do only the things that benefit you the most, then raiding them probably won't be high on your agenda.
Well, it still seems a bit silly that the best income is by killing and enslaving your own countrymen and selling their stuff with no retaliation since they are considered bandits? There is already some form of extortion in the game, maybe it can be fleshed out a bit into full http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danegeld?

It says on the wiki it was developed within the twelf century, and considering this is 800-900 I doubt they'll do that. Games like this tend to have difficulties balancing, because the Developers want realism, which can potentially utterly destroy balance. Because while something may not even be worth doing from a benefit perspective, it was, 'realistic'. I never much cared for -that- amount of realism, if I wanted to repeat history I'd just read a book, or play a simulator game.

But that sounds harsh, to which I honestly don't intend. It is very admirable that the developers know so much, and have stayed true to it's time. I enjoy being able to choose religion, and the reputation system is grand. Honestly, from a personal stand point, the only thing I'd add to this game is things which Diplomacy of the Vanilla Warband added. I hate being a Lord and having to roam around for about a week or so in order to build up troops. Every one of my complaints is related to quality-of-life changes.

So perhaps I'm biased. I do hope they add things which makes the Viking's Life more interesting, and point-worthy, and not just accurate.

It says on the wiki it was developed within the twelf century
"The first danegeld ever raised was collected in Frisia in 810" - if you scroll a bit further down.

There are other pretty big holes in the mod IMO, but the new update is said to be soon, pretty sure it will be addressed.

"It was called the geld or gafol in eleventh-century sources;[2] the term Danegeld did not appear until the early twelfth century.[3] It was characteristic of royal policy in both England and Francia during the ninth through eleventh centuries, collected both as tributary, to buy off the attackers, and as stipendiary, to pay the defensive forces."

Oh didn't see above post my bad

I haven't tried it yet, but you can besiege a town or fort and when you call a meeting with the commander you can give him the possibility to pay you to leave. No Idea how useful that is, since I haven#t even had any luck in making people leave the fort because I would overrun them in an attack (200 attackers vs 80 defenders for example).

Back
Top Bottom