SP - General Cavalry unit refunds when upgraded/killed

Users who are viewing this thread

guiskj

Knight
This is a small but very impactful suggestion to make fielding cavalry units less of a huge investment.

Right now, I never upgrade cav units, I only recruit them from prisoners. Why? Because they cost too much and die too easily.

Even then, I babysit them heavily and often choose to not use them at all for smaller skirmishes.

In order to mitigate this and make cav units more fun to use and less of a drain to loose, I am suggesting that the horse used by the unit is refunded to the player when the unit dies or is upgraded.

So:
  • When a cav unit dies, the player gets its horse (or comparable) added back to its inventory.
  • When a cav unit is upgraded with a war horse, its normal horse is added back to the player's inventory

These two small changes would make loosing a cav unit more comparable to loosing other Tier 3+ units. I would even be OK if sometimes the horse refunded was lamed...

The justification I've heard for not getting a horse back from a warhorse upgrade is that most knights had a warhorse for battle and a riding horse for travel, which seems valid.

I don't really mind needing horses because once I really get rolling I don't lose too much cavalry and have plenty of horses from loot. What I do wish is that the AI had to follow the same rules as the player and use a horse to upgrade their own cavalry troops. As it is, I'm pretty sure you can still cheese the system by giving your upgrade-ready cav troops to a companion party or garrison to have them upgrade for free without needed a horse.

We have had major different experiences then. I'm not talking about endgame where money is plentiful.

But when you are clan rank 2 ~ 3, loosing cav units hurt so much that I keep mine on reserve most of the time (not fun) and only get my cav units from prisoners (also not fun).

Even something like when they die, 50% of time the horse is also considered dead, 25% of the time it is lame, and 25% of the time it is in good condition.

I usually go trader/tournament champion first and pick up a bunch of horses as I go when I see them for cheap, so by the time I'm ready to be a Merc or Vassal I have plenty for cavalry.

I like your suggestion though. I'd even add that a warhorse unit should always return a basic horse if we assume it's being used as a riding horse and not going into battle.

For simplicity's sake I figure the type of horse returned should be based off of the troop's faction instead of making the game remember what kind you used in the first place.

@Revenant342 This is off topic, but I hear people like you that do tournaments from the onset and it baffles me. I either need to "git mor gud" or you guys are playing on easy settings haha.

Used to wait until I had good (~20 chest/arms total) armor, but it's way easier in 1.5. The combat is way more responsive so blocks and shield bashes land a lot smoother, and now on 1.5.1 it's even easier because tournament weapons do blunt damage so even at level 1 you can hit fully-armored Lords for 50 damage instead of 10. It's glorious.

I have been playing Cav only on I agree that you should get a horse back from the dead, if his horse din't die in battle or more cpu friendly a random chance based on the cav tier level to get a horse back when he dies. Money Is not an issue, but after a costly battle, I not only have to take a trip to kergit land because every other faction have their cav as Special infantry making it hard to recruit a lot but also I need to find horses which can be far between.

The worst part about this is how easy it is for lord to build up cav but for us players its a pain cuz we need to improve relations with every cities just to get cav, while they get some for free as they respawn

there is a skill that you can breed horses though. But yeah would be nice to have one more as suggested with the veterinarian perk which gives a small percentage like medic to the horses not to die. Good suggestion right there. However i think they dont want the cavalry to be snowballing as an easy unit to mass produce and withhold which is fair and to be frank not impossible right now either.

Re: just noticed there is actually an skill thats called horse healer in the medical skill tree, what counts as an lame horse and how that mechanic work im not sure though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom