Cavalry stair climbing

Should cavalry climbing stairs be considered a feature or a bug?

• Bug

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Feature

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwezz

Sergeant at Arms
Summary:You can climb stairs on a horse as long as you're moving sideways/backwards.

This is an old bug and it was mostly more funny than harmful in the begging but now it's just really annoying.
There are some pepole abusing this bug on siege maps by picking cav and bruteforcing thier way to G through all the stairs, the defenders have to assign someone to watch G or go back every 30 seconds to retake it.It's gotten to the point where some games are unplayable with the ammount of pepole doing this.

It is not fun.
Pls fix.

Edit:As some pepole are fond of this mechanic and consider it a feature I added a poll to see what's the communtiy consensus on this.

Last edited:
Stairs are even worse for foot units. You can’t move backwards on stairs, you can only move forward and even this is glitchy most of the time.

Stairs are even worse for foot units. You can’t move backwards on stairs, you can only move forward and even this is glitchy most of the time.
Yeah it is pretty annoying especially in some cases where you just fall through the floor while climbing,you also can't move up while crouching,combat is impossible beacuse of how you jump over the place on them, stairs overall deserve a rework I belive.

Take my advice : cap more, snipe less. Stop blaming cav for anything & everything, it's been nerfed to please crybabies, this is not enough? it's getting so old.

I don't think this is and should be a bug. Why shouldn't cav be allowed to access the entire map? Cav's already been nerfed so much with the subpar couching and exorbitant costs

The entire way stairs work is ****ed. Fighting on slopes has always been annoying in MB games, but BL has some staircases that are extremely difficult to use (and arbitrarily so) for inf or cav. I don't think cav should be restricted from going up stairs entirely, but currently I am guessing there is no way for level designers to choose - can cav go up here, but not there? And that is very useful to control for MP map balance.

I do not know if this is related to the movement changes/acceleration adjustments but I have found that the glitch/faulty collision that makes it hard for infantry to get up stairs has become a lot more common in 1.5... Does anyone else feel this way?

I don't think this is and should be a bug. Why shouldn't cav be allowed to access the entire map?
This is not the scene in LotR where Gandalf climbs Minas Tirith with Shadowfax.
Horses CAN climb stairs, as a quick google search answers, but I really doubt that TW has intended them to walk backwards on them and rush to G flag
" Yes, as a sweeping generalization, horses can climb stairs. There'll be exceptions where the width and/or steepness prevent them from doing so"
However, I think we can all agree that the stairs in this game are way too steep for a horse in armour lol.

Also, cav should never be allowed in all nooks and crannies of a Siege map. Cav main purpose in sieges was to protect siege equipment, raid the surrounding country sides, prevent the castle/fort from receiving provisions. They can however get off their high horse and help the rest of the footman.

This is not the scene in LotR where Gandalf climbs Minas Tirith with Shadowfax.
Horses CAN climb stairs, as a quick google search answers, but I really doubt that TW has intended them to walk backwards on them and rush to G flag
" Yes, as a sweeping generalization, horses can climb stairs. There'll be exceptions where the width and/or steepness prevent them from doing so"
However, I think we can all agree that the stairs in this game are way too steep for a horse in armour lol.

Also, cav should never be allowed in all nooks and crannies of a Siege map. Cav main purpose in sieges was to protect siege equipment, raid the surrounding country sides, prevent the castle/fort from receiving provisions. They can however get off their high horse and help the rest of the footman.
You are right from a realist point of view. However, I think we’ve had this discussion before regarding nerfing cav and the consensus was that gameplay trumps realism. Quite frankly, cav can easily be and should be included in sieges, and that includes climbing some stairs. It’s just not right to cut off cav, which is a third of a game, from an entire game mode just because some people don’t like fighting against them.

Last edited:
The entire way stairs work is ****ed. Fighting on slopes has always been annoying in MB games, but BL has some staircases that are extremely difficult to use (and arbitrarily so) for inf or cav. I don't think cav should be restricted from going up stairs entirely, but currently I am guessing there is no way for level designers to choose - can cav go up here, but not there? And that is very useful to control for MP map balance.
Well Talewords can just change a set of stairs to a slope.On the battanian castle scene there is a slope leading up to G instead of stairs,to balance this there are barricades in the way that prevent a cav player from just rushing G. On skala landing where stairs lead up to G there is nothing of the sort, allowing cav to simply rush it. You can also see looking at how the last points were designed-on the battania scene there is a lot of free space for cav to maneuver, while skala landing has a tight space with chokepoints-that cav were intended on G for the battanian scene but not for skala landing.
You are right from a realist point of view. However, I think we’ve had this discussion before regarding nerfing cav and the consensus was that gameplay trumps realism. Quite frankly, cav can easily be and should be included in sieges, and that includes climbing some stairs. It’s just not right to cut off cav, which is a third of a game, from an entire game mode just because some people don’t like fighting against them.
Siege maps were designed to enable cavalry in one way or another, thier purpose has exceeded just protecting siege equipment, some maps even allowing cav on G. They wouldn't be cut off from the gamemode, just prevented from playing the game in a way the map makers clearly didn't intent them to.

I agree. When you prefer playing bat cav cause the lance now became ****, it's special.

Before that whiny troll started derailing this thread with his childish insults.
Some jackass already did it earlier in the thread. This guy:
Take my advice : cap more, snipe less. Stop blaming cav for anything & everything, it's been nerfed to please crybabies, this is not enough? it's getting so old.

Back
Top Bottom