Campaign Map and Kingdom idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Krow

Regular
Hello all, hope you are well :smile:

Inspired from Crusader Kings.

So I have multiple ideas and I am going to number them so that discussion about a specific idea can be clear:

1) An idea for the campaign map where each castle/town and its own villages have borders if you zoom out enough from the campaign map.

1.5) A Castle/Town with its villages may be called a county that earns you the Count title. If you add a governor to your town he/she becomes a Baron. Owning multiple counties earns you the Duke title. The council however, is the King's council only and used to vote for policies/laws. If you are a strong vassal (high clan tier, high relationship with the king... etc.) you can earn a seat on the council, too. That'd would provide a strong foundation in terms of diplomacy and from there you can expand the system. I know it might sound silly to have this system like Crusader King's but they took it from the real medieval world.

2) If a village is attacked you'd get a message from the Governor of the Castle/Town that your village is being raided, including a question of what should be done (you decide). I also believe that in such scenario you'd send a message to your liege (one of your many decisions) about what happened and this way it is up to him to take a decision as a kingdom with the help/approval of his council.

3) If the King is being a d*ck, disliked by many, vassals can revolt and create their faction (faction not a kingdom. Faction within the kingdom... a resistance) against the King to overthrow him. I mean this would add a lot to the game and make it more immersive by adding sub-kingdom civil wars. I am aware of leaving the kingdom and starting war with it, but I am talking about two divided parties within the same kingdom against each other.

Original Thread:
Hello all, hope you are well :smile:

Inspired from Crusader Kings.

So I have this idea for the campaign map where each castle/town and its own villages have borders if you zoom out enough from the campaign map. So it may be called a county that earns you the title as a count. If you add a governor to your town he/she becomes a baron. Owning multiple counties earns you the title of a Duke. This council however, is the King's council only and used to vote for policies. If you are a strong vassal you can earn a seat on the council, too. I mean that'd would provide a strong foundation in terms of diplomacy and from there you can do and add many things. I know it might sound silly to have this system like Crusader King's but they took it from the real medieval world.

Also, if a village is attacked you'd get a message from the governor of the castle/town that your village is being raided, and a question of what should be done. I also believe that in such scenario you'd send a message to your liege about what happened and he takes a decision as a kingdom with the help/approval of his council. If the King is being a d*ck, many vassals can revolt and create their faction against the King to overthrow him. I mean this would add a lot to the game and make it more immersive.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, there is old roman saying:
Rex regnat, sed non gubernat - king rule, but not govern, that why he need to give a land to knights/lords - more he trust a man, more land goes to...

and bare in mind, in dark ages kingdoms do not have a regular army, king has his guards, but nothing else - vassals bring armies when king call, otherwise they do what they want on their land - most big wars in that time starts from litlle disagrement of couple lords :smile:

Well that'd add civil wars, which is awesome. I just don't like having a faction constantly in war with another faction(s). Since this game has dynasty system, meaning a gameplay can be very long (depending on the player's goal). So there must be a lot of things to do other than going to wars against other kingdoms. Civil wars sound really good, too. Now that they have talked about adding educations for your kids, one can be very good at stewardship and create a trading empire after your main created character dies, and so on...

Can't wait for modding tools.

you have a civil war... when you choose who you want to be (on chracter creation) - your clan will enemy to original faction once you create kingdom :smile:

ps. that's give an idea - if is well known, that Sturgia going down very fast, what if players clan will be enemy to Sturgians, so clan members leading a party shoul hunt down whatever left from Sturgia (no matter is it war or not), should help with elimination that kingdom, yes?

Last edited:
That would be amazing and fit really well in the game, they added roads recently after the community asked for it so maybe we can dream :grin:

well, there is old roman saying:
Rex regnat, sed non gubernat - king rule, but not govern, that why he need to give a land to knights/lords - more he trust a man, more land goes to...

and bare in mind, in dark ages kingdoms do not have a regular army, king has his guards, but nothing else - vassals bring armies when king call, otherwise they do what they want on their land - most big wars in that time starts from litlle disagrement of couple lords :smile:

Kings had personal forces as well, on their desmene (royal lands), but they were fewer. he relied more on vassals as you say

Kings had personal forces as well, on their desmene (royal lands), but they were fewer. he relied more on vassals as you say
Yes! Like King's guard.

you have a civil war... when you choose who you want to be (on chracter creation) - your clan will enemy to original faction once you create kingdom :smile:

ps. that's give an idea - if is well known, that Sturgia going down very fast, what if players clan will be enemy to Sturgians, so clan members leading a party shoul hunt down whatever left from Sturgia (no matter is it war or not), should help with elimination that kingdom, yes?
Yes but a civil war is actually a faction versus another in Bannerlord. What I meant is that it is within the same faction/kingdom. Like the resistance!

More/tiered titles are very desirable by many...
Also, it would benefit us all if future suggestion threads were posted in the Suggestions board, for the developers to find them easily.
For example this thread would belong here
I appreciate your reply! Since you are a moderator, is it possible to move the thread to that subforum so I don't need to create a duplicate thread? :smile:
NVM, I created a thread there.

Last edited:
Yes! Like King's guard.

No, soldiers in his armies, the thing was in medieval era, was the levy. The royal guard were retinues and very expensive ones. Most armies back in Early and Middle ages were levies.. High middle ages and so on weere relied more on the mercenaries or condittieres

No, soldiers in his armies, the thing was in medieval era, was the levy. The royal guard were retinues and very expensive ones. Most armies back in Early and Middle ages were levies.. High middle ages and so on weere relied more on the mercenaries or condittieres
So like the King would have special troops with their own upgrade tree, like the noble troops?

So like the King would have special troops with their own upgrade tree, like the noble troops?
Eh, I don't think anyone means that the king should have special troops. I think he is just pointing out the fact that a kings army is basically the same as a normal lords army, it's a peasant levy raised from villages and towns.

Though a king usually has a small guard of professionally trained, permanent, soldiers.

Eh, I don't think anyone means that the king should have special troops. I think he is just pointing out the fact that a kings army is basically the same as a normal lords army, it's a peasant levy raised from villages and towns.

Though a king usually has a small guard of professionally trained, permanent, soldiers.
Exactly... Only powerful Kigs had full control of armies, and that was well later in timeline.. You can think more during the beggining of modern armies, Like sometime before Napoleon. Age of Ilumism, etc;

Medieval Kings, unless they were tyrants had fewer lands and fewer armies at their disposal, only the loyal ones and their desmene ( personal royal lands)

I like all these ideas. Visible borders when you zoom out sounds nice.

Any devs watching this thread?
I am not sure if they are. I created this thread in suggestions subforum too as suggested by a moderator so it can be noticed, but they merged it with this one and removed it from there. ?

I suggested to make future suggestions in the Suggestions board, not duplicate existing one :smile:
Not a big deal, but a clearer structure is easier for out devs (y)

I suggested to make future suggestions in the Suggestions board, not duplicate existing one :smile:
Not a big deal, but a clearer structure is easier for out devs (y)
You are right. Apologies for the lack of attention. :smile:

Correct, except the idea that levies were all peasants. In fact, very few were peasants because of logistics. If you can only support 4,000 soldiers in an army it becomes much more important to have better soldiers than many cheap soldiers as the cost of going into enemy lands is more logistically than paying to train and equip decent soldiers. Garrisons would often be just a handful of knights, several sergeants and men at arms, and a bunch of lads hoping to become men at arms with minimal training or experience but capable of dropping rocks or knocking ladders away.

Levies come from all levels of feudal society that matter- peasants don't matter in feudal society. King calls up Duke and Earls who call up Viscounts and Barons who call up Baronets and Knights who call up men at arms and squires. Often the men doing logistical duties are the sons of soldiers/knights and wounded men who aren't fully reliable in fight but understand the needs and are still able to fight brigands and locals who might see supply train of an invader as a tempting treasure to gain without having to break any laws or fight fully capable warriors.

Border regions that saw lots of fighting/raiding usually developed irregular forces from locals that fought as skirmishers or scouts but were rarely relied upon in any open field battles. The closest to actual peasants aside from a few boys in garrisons or soldiers sons were probably townsmen with the wealth and idle time to afford arms and training as well something to defend if their town is captured even if they avoid the sack it isn't a good experience.

Really in many areas it was expected for certain ranks to supply a certain number of men or pay in lieu of that obligation. Often knights showed up with their grooms and some herders from their manor given some old weapons rather than trained men at arms.

Back
Top Bottom