Calling all English M+B Players...

Users who are viewing this thread

Blackthorn

Squire
This is something of a stretch- but I'm willing to try anything once.
I presently run a  12th century UK reenactment group, Historia Normannis, and we are always looking for new members. Having seen that the average M+B player is looking for at least historically-based whacking fun, I think the audience is just about perfect for recruiting reenactors.
We presently have groups in Wales, the NW of England (but looking to expand south and east) and Stirling in Scotland.
If you're at all interested in trying out the kind of combat you've been simulating- why not give it a go?
Either message me, reply to this thread, or hit www.normannis.co.uk for further details.
Thanks,
-Dan Wick
Head of Historia Normannis

One day I do hope to expand to places like Canada... unless you wanted to take on a whole hell of a lot of work and set a group up yourself, there isn't much I'd be able to do for you, though. Were I richer I would live the international jet-setter lifestyle and go around expanding my society... :S

Anything in the Northeast? Not far from the Northwest, but its still around a 2-3 hour train ride to the Manchester/Liverpool area from where i live.

Blackthorn said:
One day I do hope to expand to places like Canada... unless you wanted to take on a whole hell of a lot of work and set a group up yourself, there isn't much I'd be able to do for you, though. Were I richer I would live the international jet-setter lifestyle and go around expanding my society... :S
My social life would be utterly destroyed if I started such a group, as I am at the age of 14 where "OMG EVERYTHING HAS TO BE COOL UTHERWISE U SUUUUUUUUUCK!"  :roll:

haha, well if theres a chance of getting a big shield and axe! I'm 17, turing 18 this November and I live in Gloucestershire so not sure if thats to far. Wheres the Welsh centre and the North Western English one? I'd like to see which is closer.

Studying history, drama and english for AS levels so I can act somewhat, I love ancient history and I think some historical enactments and helping in the workshops you put up would look good as I'm going to be trying to get into a history course in uni in a year or so. My only problem is would be being 17 limit me in any way?

Presently we're looking at setting up a Gloucester and Yorkshire group this year- there's presently a Manchester group in the running, and the Welsh groups are in Aberysthwyth/Lampeter predominantly, but with a Cardiff group currently running if the transport links are better that way.
Whereabouts in the N.E are you, Seismica?

(and 17 y o not a problem).

Ok well I know a couple of nutters who might come along for the hell of it if theres a gloucestershire wing and the Welsh one isnt too far off although I wont mind driving up north once I get my license, and I only asked about the 18 thing cause some groups I had a quick ganders at had a age restriction of 18 or above due to liability problems. Is there a fee to join or something along those lines?

Nope- we basically try and sub you through your early kit- once you're an established member the group will sometimes ask for small donations ('couple of quid, usually) to try and do the same for other newbies- kind of a pay-it-forward approach.
Our insurance is okay with under 18's- just have to be over 16.
-Dan

We can start members training before they're sixteen, however, they can't fight at national show events before they're 16. We occassionally allow some of the archers loosing in the volley who are 14+, but that was with our previous insurance and I'd have to check with our new insurer precisely where we stand on that now.
-Dan-

(Just to repeat if people come to the thread new)

I'm presently looking for any mainland UK members interested in 12th century combat reenactment and living history. Go to www.normannis.co.uk for further details- all training provided and you do not have to purchase any equipment initially- we will provide armoury equipment for you to try it out.
Presently we are centred in Manchester/Lampeter/Aberysthwyth/Cardiff/Stirling, and looking to expand in York, Gloucester and London in the coming year.
Either reply to the thread or message me, alternatively, visit the website and contact us through there.
Looking forward to hearing from anyone interested,
-Dan Wick

Well as I said really interested, this would look great on my cv and I love this kind of stuff. What does the training consist of?  :neutral:

Basically we take you through some basic defence/attacks, and basically show you what is/is not allowed, and then work with you to develop your style within the rules we have. :smile:
-Dan

Ah alright, got it.

"Ok lad todays basics. This is strike. This is block. You're not allowed to kill people. Heres an axe. Go have fun!" :grin:

XD I know its not that simple but its a nice generic way of looking at things

Ah, a fellow reenactor. :smile:

I don't envy you with the task of running a group Blackthorn, it's far better just being a member. :/
Still, I wish you luck in your recruitment drive, and be sure to give Kalnia a good friendly beating from me. :razz:

Blackthorn said:
What group what area if you don't mind me asking?

No problem mate, was actually away at a do over the weekend there in South Shields. I'm a member of Regia Anglorum, and we've got a load of sub-groups across the country. Myself specifically, am in South-West Scotland in the Galway subdivision. :smile:

Kalnia said:
And what did I do to deserve a beating Kronic? Not that I dont enjoy a good brawl!  :twisted:

Apart from my own twisted amusement? xD

Mostly just because your a Nord and a good beating is a GOOD thing; character building and all. :razz:

Back
Top Bottom