Blurry DLSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Wulfric

Master Knight
It appears that no sharpening gets applied when DLSS is turned on, resulting in an extremely blurry image. Below is a comparison between native 4k and DLSS Quality, to demonstrate my point:

@Dejan Can you pass on this to the engine devs?

Edit: DLSS versions newer than 2.5.1 can't make use of in-game sharpening, which was the source of the problem. However, I still urge the devs to update to a newer DLSS version and implement NIS sharpening.

Edit 2: The screenshot without DLSS above has some in-game sharpening which makes for an unfair comparison. Below is one without any sharpening (nor AA) alongside another with DLSS Quality:

Last edited:
Interesting because for me DLSS does apply sharpening in Bannerlord, even feels like too much sometimes. But then it also does feel soft in some ways but I think that is normal DLSS thing.

And that's with in game sharpening slider on 0, going higher makes some things very ugly and distracting and brings shimmering back with a vengeance for vegetation and stuff.

Did you disable AA when enabling DLSS? I think the game doesn't automatically do it.

Overall DLSS quality is a much better experience than native 4k in my opinion, I tried all the AA options + sharpening from 0 to 100. I'm talking about actually playing the game though, screenshots don't capture shimmering and other artifacts when things are in motion and DLSS cleans that up better than anything else.

Last edited:
Interesting because for me DLSS does apply sharpening in Bannerlord, even feels like too much sometimes. But then it also does feel soft in some ways but I think that is normal DLSS thing.

And that's with in game sharpening slider on 0, going higher makes some things very ugly and distracting and brings shimmering back with a vengeance for vegetation and stuff.

Did you disable AA when enabling DLSS? I think the game doesn't automatically do it.

Overall DLSS quality is a much better experience than native 4k in my opinion, I tried all the AA options + sharpening from 0 to 100. I'm talking about actually playing the game though, screenshots don't capture shimmering and other artifacts when things are in motion and DLSS cleans that up better than anything else.
Actually, I had forgotten that I was using a newer version of DLSS (3.5.10) that has built-in sharpening disabled (post version 2.5.1), which is why it looks so blurry. However, the devs should still update the engine to make use of NIS sharpening as recommended by NVIDIA, so that we can make use of newer versions of DLSS.

Alternatively, one could apply NIS sharpening on the driver level but it has the very annoying downside of sharpening everything on the screen, including the UI. For that reason, I myself will be sticking with version 2.5.0 for the time being.

Edit: Having tried out 2.5.0 for an hour, I've decided to switch back to 3.5.10. I definitely prefer the improved image quality of the newer version despite the added blurriness.

Last edited:
Ah that makes sense. I did try Bannelord with updated DLSS dll a while ago but right now I do have the default dll. I do agree it would be nice if they would update the dll and add the NIS sharpening, should take very little effort.

Back
Top Bottom