Version number
e1.5.7.
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Yes, but I removed mods.

Duaneski

Recruit
Was grinding blacksmith and happened to unlock the Level II "Tree Branch" javelin shaft. Using just this and a simple spear head my character was able to gain between 11-15 levels of blacksmith per craft attempt. (1.5.7). This of course also unlocked a boatload of new crafting options - in short order I was able to make javelins costing just one steel, 2 wrought iron, and a couple hardwood that sells for 122,000.

Javelins still giving amazing XP at higher levels , gaining 2 levels of smithing per javelins forged in the 220 skill level.

not sure if it's a bug or a design decision... seems like smithing needs some work but since this is pretty game breaking hope it gets addressed :smile: (note: I had tried to install the 'tweaks' mod unsuccessfully. Couldn't get it to work so I deactivated it. Dunno if that's related somehow but just in case wanted to mention it)

This has been going on for a long time now, actually. I think the devs are going to overhaul the smithing system eventually and make it more balanced.

I know exactly what the poster is referring to. I had a quest from a coastal Vlandian village that required I take out a Sea Raider hideout and one of the pieces of loot is worth a pretty penny in a very similar fashion: Cracked Harpoons

Hello, we are aware of this issue and working hard on it to fix it as soon as possible. Thank you for reporting it in and sorry for any inconveniences.

When I tried to forge a high-value javelin mistakenly with my little baby brother, smithing skill 0, I expected it to fail or to at least result in bad weapon stats.
On the contrary. He succeeded, got a skill boost from 0 to 80 ! and the javelin did not have a single reduced stat. Not only that, I also unlocked at least half a dozen forging components to boot! Since this does not happen e.g. when I forge one- or two-handed swords or axes, I think it must be linked to the weapon type of javelin.

I mean, when I forge hand axes for gang leaders I see stat decreases with companions that barely miss the required skill level for the item or are even above the requirements.

Additionally, it seems that the lock function that prevents me from (bulk) selling certain items by mistake does not protect them from being available for smelting in the smithy. Would really be nice if locked weapons simply would not show up as available for smelting or would at least be protected from smelting.

When I tried to forge a high-value javelin mistakenly with my little baby brother, smithing skill 0, I expected it to fail or to at least result in bad weapon stats.
On the contrary. He succeeded, got a skill boost from 0 to 80 ! and the javelin did not have a single reduced stat. Not only that, I also unlocked at least half a dozen forging components to boot! Since this does not happen e.g. when I forge one- or two-handed swords or axes, I think it must be linked to the weapon type of javelin.

I mean, when I forge hand axes for gang leaders I see stat decreases with companions that barely miss the required skill level for the item or are even above the requirements.

Additionally, it seems that the lock function that prevents me from (bulk) selling certain items by mistake does not protect them from being available for smelting in the smithy. Would really be nice if locked weapons simply would not show up as available for smelting or would at least be protected from smelting.
They shouldn´t fix this until they rework smithing in its entirety. Without abusing this bug and without using mods that give you the possibility of respec your chars, it will be almost impossible to reach a skill level above 250, not to mention learning all the components.

I used all my companions for smithing, doing repetitive smithing sessions for several days each time and especially therefor temporarely maxed out endurance and smithing focus and STILL it was a pain in the a** until i learned the first javelin head with decent thrust damage. As long as you are unlucky and can´t unlock the harpoon head, you will have a disgusting grind.

Last edited:
next time try some 2H swords. they are the same like javs.
No, they aren´t. Not even close.

Actually, I DID rely on 2H swords up to the point where i finally learned the harpoon head. Fact is, the best two hand swords with high skill cap, high amount of required ressources and high thrust damage (it´s seems to be THAT value that determines the learning effect) will give you only a fraction of the skill-boost that a harpoon head javelin (which uses a minimum of resources) will give you.
As far as I experienced, it´s the thrust damage that counts most in that calculation but when you craft javelins, it´s not the melee thrust damage but the missile pierce damage that flows in. Just test it for yourself. A harpoon head javelin, just consisting of head and shaft (no pommel and no brace needed) with maxed out length will reach a missile pierce damage of 125. Ressources needed : 1 iron, 1 hardwood, 1 charcoal. Required skill 85. Thats it. Your smithing skill will explode and the javelins are worth ~ 120000 gold. You can even push it a bit further with the tier 5 javelin head, which will bring you up to 141 dmg.
I brought my best smithing chars up to skill levels above 320 and I HAD to rely on 2Handers for a very long time, because I WAS unlucky and I wasn´t able to unlock the first javelin components for a long time (if I remeber correctly it wasn´t even the heads that were missing but the shaft^^).
But when it finally procced, it felt like a hyperjump from that moment on...

then you just choose the wrong parts.
i tried some different things and the 2hand sword that also can be carried as 1hand are not that what you should go for.
the only 2h swords have much more value. i tested it myself, i also had no luck on that and that was my first save where i used smithing.

oh, and i dont say they are equal, but if you are just unlucky, try the only 2hand in different variations, thats all i say

[...]

oh, and i dont say they are equal, but if you are just unlucky, try the only 2hand in different variations, thats all i say
Yes, they are the next best option, thats true.

Will try out some 2Hander Onlies when my next child becomes full-aged, though.

Yes, they are the next best option, thats true.

Will try out some 2Hander Onlies when my next child becomes full-aged, though.
XP is based on value which is based on single damage type. If you want to craft a absurdly expensive sword, or polearm pick one with a high slash damage and it will be at javelin levels. The fix I believe is to balance the value of items. The equipment costs for armour, some thrown and ranged weapons are ridiculous currently (you can hire an army of guys for less than it costs you to buy the helmet they are wearing). By reducing these to more realistic levels, the weapons you craft will come down to more reasonable levels of XP and gold.

I think the stat reduction being missing is a crafted thrown weapon issue, not even sure it is a problem, I just noticed no matter what thrown weapon you craft out of your skill capacity there are no reduction. Don't go tryin to craft throwing knives and make big bucks tho, I am pretty sure prices have multiple contributing factors, damage output likely being the main contributor. I think the current system will work fine until they decide to give us something perhaps a little more linear. You can always choose not to abuse the jav issue and get by just tine, that is what I am doing with my current play through. And it is good to know I can fall back on jav abuse if what I am currelty doing gets too frustrating. (getting the unoocks I mean)

Back
Top Bottom