Bit of false advertisment/misdirection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bulivyf

Recruit
https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/VikingConquest/Features

"Hundreds of new items, weapons and armors!"

There's one suit of chain mail and a very small selection of weapons. You can't, rather you can; but shouldn't, consider recolored clothing of the same type a brand new item. That's really dishonest.

A lot of different items compared to Native. I get your point though. Although, Rome 2 devs did the same advertising. Nothing new.

a lot of items just means assets, like those wood fence meshes. it's a vague term used just for advertising, so when someone actually questions them they can say "we actually made 250 new assets for the game" not restricted just to armour.

psychopigeon said:
a lot of items just means assets, like those wood fence meshes. it's a vague term used just for advertising, so when someone actually questions them they can say "we actually made 250 new assets for the game" not restricted just to armour.
Its still misdirection...

I mean I would understand if it was Valve, or EA, or Activision... the big dogs. The fact that our own community (Brytenwalda's Team made this) deceived us, well I am hurt by it.

Is it bad that I want to play Brytenwalda more than I do VI?

I have taken a look through the .brf files, specifically the armour and clothing.

There are several variations of maille, armour, and gambesons and lots of variations of clothing, but they have not been skillfully implemented. Additionally, many of them do look very similar in their layout and cut.

It seems there are a few main armour variations, and then dozens of different cloth and gambeson combinations under them.

It really steams my broccolies but misdirection is just how advertising is done.

I think picking up on it or not is just down to natural selection now.

Most commercials will go their whole run-time without actually saying anything, just a collection of random feel good phrases. It's just how the world works.

BrustwarzenLenny said:
kraggrim said:
After this post from Lenny I thought there would be a lot more variation. Just wishful thinking I guess :grin:.

As far as this "historical accuracy" allowed me, I tried to get out as many stuff as possible of those few armor-types that seem to be used back then in this age&area.
http://www.pic-upload.de/view-25532846/male-armors.png.html

But as some people agree with me, that there should be other armor-types available - even this might be not "that" historical accurate - I'm sure I "may" add further types with future content-updates.

There are a few amours in the DLC, but they all look the same. Byrtenwalda is far superior in this regard. I would hav paid 25$ for Byrtenwalda, but probably not 10$ for VC.

stevehoos said:
There are a few amours in the DLC, but they all look the same. Byrtenwalda is far superior in this regard. I would hav paid 25$ for Byrtenwalda, but probably not 10$ for VC.
They also spent four years on Brytenwalda and also borrowed textures from other modders. Hence why the models vary in quality. They had to make all of these newer ones for VC. Granted, I am disappointed with the lack of variety. Another thing is that Brytenwalda is in a different timeframe. Another thing is that the various armors may be spread out according to culture.

Dan11311 said:
stevehoos said:
They also spent four years on Brytenwalda and also borrowed textures from other modders. Hence why the models vary in quality. They had to make all of these newer ones for VC. Granted, I am disappointed with the lack of variety. Another thing is that Brytenwalda is in a different timeframe.

It is, but did things all look rusty and soiled 5 centuries later?

I have to side with the developers on this one.  There are tons of new assets that bring color, richness and variety and make this game feel so much more like a living world than a "sandbox". 

It seems too many fans have been raised on high fantasy games and just want to put on spiky plate armor and wield 6 foot long two-handed swords to swat hordes of orcs.  That's just not what this game is about. (Check out "http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-days" for a tasteful game where you can ride through crowds of orcs mowing them down with powerful armor and weapons.)

If you have ever had the chance to ride a real horse or swing a real sword or wear a 50 pound mail shirt you would realize what a gem Viking Conquest is.  I guarantee someone is going to make a fantasy mod out of VC once the code is released and then you can have all the spiky armor and gigantic (weightless) weapons you want. 

Limehill said:
I have to side with the developers on this one.  There are tons of new assets that bring color, richness and variety and make this game feel so much more like a living world than a "sandbox". 

It seems too many fans have been raised on high fantasy games and just want to put on spiky plate armor and wield 6 foot long two-handed swords to swat hordes of orcs.  That's just not what this game is about. (Check out "http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-days" for a tasteful game where you can ride through crowds of orc mowing them down with powerful armor and weapons.)

If you have ever had the chance to ride a real horse or swing a real sword or wear a 50 pound mail shirt you would realize what a gem Viking Conquest is.  I guarantee someone is going to make a fantasy mod out of VC once the code is released and then you can have all the spiky armor and gigantic (weightless) weapons you want.

We are complaining that we were lied to, not that the genre isn't high fantasy.

freedomna said:
Limehill said:

It seems too many fans have been raised on high fantasy games and just want to put on spiky plate armor and wield 6 foot long two-handed swords to swat hordes of orcs.  That's just not what this game is about. (Check out "http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-days" for a tasteful game where you can ride through crowds of orc mowing them down with powerful armor and weapons.)

Lied to about what exactly? There is a lot of different items compared to Native. They never said the DLC would be bug free. I want to know where you are coming from. There isn't a great deal of variation in Native either.

freedomna said:

It's called a "Straw man argument" You change your opponent's position into something that's clearly wrong to make your side look better.

Limehill said:

Wanting some variety with armour and weapons isn't the same as wanting a sword that sets people on fire and as for lightweight weapons, combat already breaks the sound barrier so I guess you could tick that box. People want content for the money they paid. For example what happened to lamellar armour and two handed axes, they were in Brytenwalda and the devs would have me believe that over the course of 100 years or so these things simply disappeared or went out of fashion?

To make people pay for a game with less content than the original mod is a joke in all fairness. I'm a fan of historical accuracy in games but to sacrifice fun and variety for the sake of it just makes the game hollow and the devs seem to be playing the "historically accurate" card at every turn.

If I want to run around the battlefield shirtless, decked out in tattoos and wielding a 4-5 foot axe cleaving peasants in twain I should have the option to, simply because it's fun.

Phocks said:
freedomna said:

It's called a "Straw man argument" You change your opponent's position into something that's clearly wrong to make your side look better.
Usually with Straw Man though you take some pieces from the what the person said.

I mean no one even mentioned high fantasy so the jump from "DLC is nothing like we were promised" to "U MAD DERE NO ORCS" feels more like "Refuge in Audacity" than "Strawman"

GillsFan91 said:
Limehill said:

Wanting some variety with armour and weapons isn't the same as wanting a sword that sets people on fire and as for lightweight weapons, combat already breaks the sound barrier so I guess you could tick that box. People want content for the money they paid. For example what happened to lamellar armour and two handed axes, they were in Brytenwalda and the devs would have me believe that over the course of 100 years or so these things simply disappeared or went out of fashion?

To make people pay for a game with less content than the original mod is a joke in all fairness. I'm a fan of historical accuracy in games but to sacrifice fun and variety for the sake of it just makes the game hollow and the devs seem to be playing the "historically accurate" card at every turn.

If I want to run around the battlefield shirtless, decked out in tattoos and wielding a 4-5 foot axe cleaving peasants in twain I should have the option to, simply because it's fun.

$11 is that much money and you didn't receive a huge amount of content for it so I don't think people were ripped off. Other than the bugs. But that's subjective. I think the team is going for immersion. Having weapons out of the timeframe breaks immersion for a lot of people.

Weren't great axes rare, even in the Brytenwalda mod? You can get one at an old fort and kill Franks or Dena for them and that's it I think. Even then I think they mentioned that they were anachronistic. I think they should still be in though. I rarely use them but they are fun to hack through Dena with in Brytenwalda.

Dan11311 said:
GillsFan91 said:
Limehill said:

$11 is that much money and you didn't receive a huge amount of content for it so I don't think people were ripped off. Other than the bugs. But that's subjective. I think the team is going for immersion. Having weapons out of the timeframe breaks immersion for a lot of people.

Weren't great axes rare, even in the Brytenwalda mod? You can get one at an old fort and kill Franks or Dena for them and that's it I think. Even then I think they mentioned that they were anachronistic. I think they should still be in though. I rarely use them but they are fun to hack through Dena with in Brytenwalda.

I can find them quite easily in towns. I really don't see how a two handed axe is breaking the timeframe am I supposed to believe that two handed axes didn't exist until the 9th century despite battle axe heads being found dating from the 7th century.

If I was to say to someone "name a weapon a Viking would use" their answer would most likely be "a great big ****ing axe". I'm just saying a little variety would be appreciated by a lot of the players here. And in my view changing the colours on a linen shirt underneath mail and adding a belt here and there doesn't constitute variety.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_axe.htm
Why would viking axes be out of place?

Back
Top Bottom