Better combat animations and weapon physics

Users who are viewing this thread

htlaets

The weapon to body physics/collisions are looking almost the same as in warband.
The body inertia is could have been implemented more accurate, you can see in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_6mXuKSWWE at 4:00 min mark how unrealistic it looks (the aserai soldier makes a winding fly to the ground after the killing sword-blow of the player). :facepalm:

I would like to see the lance animation from battlefield 1 in bannerlord or something similar.
If EA ever decides to make a battlefield-medieval  with smooth animations and such, bannerlord would fall back with it's still clumsy looking animations.

htlaets said:
The weapon to body physics/collisions are looking almost the same as in warband.
The body inertia is could have been implemented more accurate, you can see in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_6mXuKSWWE at 4:00 min mark how unrealistic it looks (the aserai soldier makes a winding fly to the ground after the killing sword-blow of the player). :facepalm:

I would like to see the lance animation from battlefield 1 in bannerlord or something similar.
If EA ever decides to make a battlefield-medieval  with smooth animations and such, bannerlord would fall back with it's still clumsy looking animations.
I never played battlefield 1 but I suppose you're referring to this:

some animations are really brutal like the one from the back but I don't know if they could work with bannerlord's gameplay.
Sure I'm amazed how good are the anims and the graphic of battlefield 1, I wish devs do something to improve bannerlord even more under this two aspects.

htlaets said:
at 4:00 min mark how unrealistic it looks (the aserai soldier makes a winding fly to the ground after the killing sword-blow of the player)

A slightly strange judgement to make, when in the video fedeita showed the Battlefield lancer impales his victim, who apparently levitates or jumps (to help increase the sense of power of the lancer/make a brutal spectacle?). The lancer carries him off the ground for a couple of seconds, then shifts the full body weight of his victim off his lance...

In the case of Bannerlord and BF1, I don't think there is any physics involved in these deaths, they are standard animations that play for a given attack. I quickly watched some other BF1 lancing videos and all the deaths look the same. The spinning fall to the ground of Bannerlord is also preset, the character spins away from the direction of the sword swing which hit him. They are both set animations, and both over the top, though I would argue that Bannerlord's at least isn't as unbelievable and needlessly gruesome as that of BF1s. That said, it does look a bit stagey, they could surely make it less outrageous.

LeChat said:
The video is from 2017. Haven't you got something more recent ?

more recent game footage is showing the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoBqn17JuaI  -> look how the axeman dies at 1:40 min mark, it's just silly.

htlaets said:

1- mount & blade is not a realism simulator, (but potentially aims for realism)
2- battlefield 1 has (kill cam) animation that forced to work automatically ( that is the enemy of gameplay & skills )
3- the rolling Aseri looks too dramatic i agree, but he is dead so gameplay isn't affected and thats what i care for, no battlefield animation please

"The weapon to body physics/collisions are looking almost the same as in warband" ?
      <<<<<<    that guitarist on the left made 16 albums and they all sound the same, don't change the formula
it's quick, fast and fun

DanAngleland said:
htlaets said:
at 4:00 min mark how unrealistic it looks (the aserai soldier makes a winding fly to the ground after the killing sword-blow of the player)

A slightly strange judgement to make, when in the video fedeita showed the Battlefield lancer impales his victim, who apparently levitates or jumps (to help increase the sense of power of the lancer/make a brutal spectacle?). The lancer carries him off the ground for a couple of seconds, then shifts the full body weight of his victim off his lance...

In the case of Bannerlord and BF1, I don't think there is any physics involved in these deaths, they are standard animations that play for a given attack. I quickly watched some other BF1 lancing videos and all the deaths look the same. The spinning fall to the ground of Bannerlord is also preset, the character spins away from the direction of the sword swing which hit him.

If the opponent is only lightly armored, the lance from horseback will impale, so its not that strange, only the carrying him for that long is exaggerated. Bannerlord can implement a more realistic middle way by combining the animation from BF1 and videos from real "tent pegging". But i guess the lance is mostly lost and will stuck in the opponents body and the horseman will either draw his sidearm after that or will get another lance.

Bannerlord's animations and its one-on-one/PvP combat have never been its strengths. These are severely limited by its high character count requirement and the need for efficient physics/animation calcs. Obviously they could develop sp and mp separately, both with their own tailored quality of animations and physics, but that would extend development time considerably.

htlaets said:

"Winding fly" animation from that MBW video is no less realistic then equally ridiculous BF1 lance animations. Both are for effect and have nothing to do with realism of body physic. I find it strange that you require improving MB animations by implementing animations from a game that is even more unrealistic and have even more exaggerated animations then MB.

hruza said:
htlaets said:

"Winding fly" animation from that MBW video is no less realistic then equally ridiculous BF1 lance animations. Both are for effect and have nothing to do with realism of body physic. I find it strange that you require improving MB animations by implementing animations from a game that is even more unrealistic and have even more exaggerated animations then MB.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread...

Back
Top Bottom