best lords

Users who are viewing this thread

As far as army quality goes, in my current playthrough I'd say that Brennus fields the best army in the game. Avendor started with a KotEG chapter in it and now he fields KotEG and Hammers next to his scores of Lions. Plus the always consistent Sarleon troops. He's a legend. His bad-tempered personality doesn't bother me either. I spend, as always, too much time in Sarleon so I cultivate strong relations with him. I'll definitely proselytize him at some point. Besides, bad-tempered lords are funny, contrarily to the sadistic ones who are purely evil. I tend to cultivate relations with Ealdred too, since his army is always fearsome with all those Black Archers in it. No reason not to do it, since I spend the largest portion of my mercenary time in Sarleon anyway.

As far as the pair of elderly pitilless/cunning lords goes, the Sarleon is king in that one too. Baron Aeldfried marshals an excellent army of many top-tier troops with scores of Lions included. As far as looks go (yeah, though not really important, I value aesthetics as well), he's ok, though I preferred his older looks. Now he looks as Valdis's twin with hair. Oh, he also rides an awesome Sarleon Warhorse. Cadeyrn marshals scores of Sarleon Rogues who I consider to be probably the best Rogues in the game after the Blackhearted ones. On the plus side, he tends to be an effective marshal and, fighting alongside and against him, I have to say he fights well. I liked his old looks, but, man, his new looks are AWESOME. Besides, as far as morality goes, yes, cunning personalities are more difficult to handle. But, if we give ourselves some pause and start pondering the lords' lines and general behaviour, we'll come to the inevitable conclusion that the cunning ones are definitely the most intelligent of the lords and I tend to value intelligence. The upstanding/good-natured/martial ones tend to be the most loyal, but a kingdom always needs its thinkers and politicians. And cunning lords excel at that. Now, if only the line to go kill a merchant wasn't there... This one somehow spoils their image to me. Still, I value the cunning lords and always keep some in my kingdom. And chief amongst them is always Cadeyrn.

Taleworlds didn't really see cunning lords as simply cunning.

lrep_cunning        = 4 #coldblooded, pragmatic, amoral - eg Louis XI, Guiscard, Akbar Khan, Abd al-Aziz Ibn Saud

But I also prefer to think that they are just smart and calculating. A little coldblooded maybe, but not amoral.

Serazu said:
As far as army quality goes, in my current playthrough I'd say that Brennus fields the best army in the game. Avendor started with a KotEG chapter in it and now he fields KotEG and Hammers next to his scores of Lions. Plus the always consistent Sarleon troops. He's a legend. His bad-tempered personality doesn't bother me either. I spend, as always, too much time in Sarleon so I cultivate strong relations with him. I'll definitely proselytize him at some point. Besides, bad-tempered lords are funny, contrarily to the sadistic ones who are purely evil. I tend to cultivate relations with Ealdred too, since his army is always fearsome with all those Black Archers in it. No reason not to do it, since I spend the largest portion of my mercenary time in Sarleon anyway.

As far as the pair of elderly pitilless/cunning lords goes, the Sarleon is king in that one too. Baron Aeldfried marshals an excellent army of many top-tier troops with scores of Lions included. As far as looks go (yeah, though not really important, I value aesthetics as well), he's ok, though I preferred his older looks. Now he looks as Valdis's twin with hair. Oh, he also rides an awesome Sarleon Warhorse. Cadeyrn marshals scores of Sarleon Rogues who I consider to be probably the best Rogues in the game after the Blackhearted ones. On the plus side, he tends to be an effective marshal and, fighting alongside and against him, I have to say he fights well. I liked his old looks, but, man, his new looks are AWESOME. Besides, as far as morality goes, yes, cunning personalities are more difficult to handle. But, if we give ourselves some pause and start pondering the lords' lines and general behaviour, we'll come to the inevitable conclusion that the cunning ones are definitely the most intelligent of the lords and I tend to value intelligence. The upstanding/good-natured/martial ones tend to be the most loyal, but a kingdom always needs its thinkers and politicians. And cunning lords excel at that. Now, if only the line to go kill a merchant wasn't there... This one somehow spoils their image to me. Still, I value the cunning lords and always keep some in my kingdom. And chief amongst them is always Cadeyrn.

That's a pretty awesome Sarleon run you've got going. In one of my games, Avendor has Raven Spears instead of KOTEG. They aren't bad but I'm a big fan of how beastly the EG's are.  That being said Senderfall did spawn with Silvermists so I might take that for myself instead.  This particular game has been really interesting so far  - D'shar took Valonbray and Ravenstern took Javiksholm. So I ended up taking both after their puny garrisons were left behind and requesting vassalage from Fierdsvain lol!

all lords that raise relations by about 10 honour points are good, provided you play the desired honorary path, I always recruit those into my kingdom, and maybe some martial ones too

riraito. said:
Serazu said:

That's a pretty awesome Sarleon run you've got going. In one of my games, Avendor has Raven Spears instead of KOTEG. They aren't bad but I'm a big fan of how beastly the EG's are.  That being said Senderfall did spawn with Silvermists so I might take that for myself instead.  This particular game has been really interesting so far  - D'shar took Valonbray and Ravenstern took Javiksholm. So I ended up taking both after their puny garrisons were left behind and requesting vassalage from Fierdsvain lol!

The Silvermists tend to spawn in Senderfall, but not in my current playthrough. If you love KotEG so much, all you have to do is start a new game at day 1 after looking at Avendor in your locations menu and don't see a chapter of them there. They frequently spawn at Avendor. Restart till you see a chapter of them.

Serazu said:
The Silvermists tend to spawn in Senderfall, but not in my current playthrough. If you love KotEG so much, all you have to do is start a new game at day 1 after looking at Avendor in your locations menu and don't see a chapter of them there. They frequently spawn at Avendor. Restart till you see a chapter of them.

Its just a 10% chance. There's another 10% for the Ebony Gaunlet to start there, the 80% left will be Senderfall starting with none.
However, the lord that starts with this city, Adarian, will always field Silvermists, as they're his household troop.

Ralyks18 said:
Serazu said:

Its just a 10% chance. There's another 10% for the Ebony Gaunlet to start there, the 80% left will be Senderfall starting with none.
However, the lord that starts with this city, Adarian, will always field Silvermists, as they're his household troop.

it's too bad there's no lord with KOTEG as a house hold troop. I'd imagine a really sadistic  or bad tempered lord would field them

I keep trying to check if Baron Godric wants to join my kingdom. He's at negative relation with his liege and he likes me, but whenever I try to persuade to say a little more about his king he doesn't want to and I get -1 relation with him. At first I was trying this when his relations with me were in the 20s and I figured perhaps I required higher relations with him. Now our relations are at 35 and he still doesn't want to speak further about this. My kingdom has more fiefs than Sarleon so it's not that. What could be the issue?

Godric's good-natured, he's not going to defect on his own unless you're 80-90+ relation with him and he REALLY dislikes his lord. You're better off asking him when he's you're prisoner.

I've gotten several good natured ones from the Fierdsvain and it didn't seem that hard. I think my relations with them were in the 30s max. I tried recruiting some when they were prisoners but I didn't seem able to. I thought they had removed it. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Nikomakkos said:
I've gotten several good natured ones from the Fierdsvain and it didn't seem that hard. I think my relations with them were in the 30s max. I tried recruiting some when they were prisoners but I didn't seem able to. I thought they had removed it. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

you need at least 40 before capturing the lord to recruit him after battle

"at least" is actually 5 (if player's persuasion is 10).
The rest depends on campaign difficulty, kind of a lord (top-3 lords => extra 10 points to requirement for some weird reason) and the difference in number of walled fiefs your kingdom has and the other lord's kingdom has.

Leonion said:
"at least" is actually 5 (if player's persuasion is 10).
The rest depends on campaign difficulty, kind of a lord (top-3 lords => extra 10 points to requirement for some weird reason) and the difference in number of walled fiefs your kingdom has and the other lord's kingdom has.

I thought the hard minimum was 20. But I don't have 10 Persuasion.

Just one thing I'd like to say. I have recruited 4 lords and made Roland one, so I have 5 lords. They are all either Good-Natured or Upstanding. I have given each a castle and the village that belongs to the castle. In an incredibly short time these guys have filled their castle garrison up to more than 400 troops! What legends. I'm guessing it really helps them to have two fiefs this close to each other.

With the martial and cunning lords now being content with 3 fiefs, what do you think about the idea of giving a cunning lord three villages close to each other creating a powerful patrol in that area? I'm thinking for example Pern, Thalberl and Foxtead, an area always teaming with bandits. This way you have guy that looks after his own interest where it will work to your kingdom's interest.

is there a way to redistribute fiefs after you expand your empire more  and more? i kinda want to change my location..

@Nikomakkos Bad personalities problem isnt having them requesting for more than a good personality. They will more rarely help out if a nearby lord of his same kingdom needs help, or they will prefer to stay around their lands instead of joining the marshal way more often than a lord with good personality. Bad personalities will also drop relations with you with the king and marshal if they get defeated in battle, even if they lost on their own, or if there was campaign going by the marshal or if the king is captive.

They have it easier to defect from your kingdom, and they will also have disputes with others way more often. Its (almost) never recommended to have these lords inside your kingdom. They may look fine at the start, but in the long run, they'll start giving problems.

riraito. said:
is there a way to redistribute fiefs after you expand your empire more  and more? i kinda want to change my location..

Be marshal and stay away from that fief, when it gets sieged, start a campaign and hope that it gets taken. When it is captured, then retake it and give it to whoever you want.

The other option is to exile the owner of that fief, this way the fief will be left free and you can give it to whoever you want.

Both are bad as the former will get you controversy and takes time and the latter will drop your relation with your vassals and even more with the lord you exiled, but its faster.

I've personally never-ever had a problem with the so-called "bad" lords in my kingdom. Granted, I never take more 1-2 (tops 3) of the bad-tempered or sadistic type. Like I've said before, I do not consider the former to be more amoral than, let's say, the pitiless or the cunning ones. They just yell louder. Plus, their lines are funny. With the sadistic, yeah, those are trash.

Ralyks18 said:
@Nikomakkos Bad personalities problem isnt having them requesting for more than a good personality. They will more rarely help out if a nearby lord of his same kingdom needs help, or they will prefer to stay around their lands instead of joining the marshal way more often than a lord with good personality. Bad personalities will also drop relations with you with the king and marshal if they get defeated in battle, even if they lost on their own, or if there was campaign going by the marshal or if the king is captive.

They have it easier to defect from your kingdom, and they will also have disputes with others way more often. Its (almost) never recommended to have these lords inside your kingdom. They may look fine at the start, but in the long run, they'll start giving problems.

I was talking about a cunning lord, who are different than the really bad ones. I thought they implemented Leonion's tweak that makes martial and cunning lords stop disliking when you hand someone else a fief when they (the cunning/martial lords) have 3 or more fiefs themselves. Anyway, I have it implemented.

And I know the cunning lords are less likely to join the campaign. That was my whole point. He is more likely to work in his own interest, hence give him said villages in a bandit infested area and he will keep it clean more of the time than a "good"/martial lord would. Or that's the idea anyway. And that was the thought I was throwing out there for feedback.

Back
Top Bottom