Beginner guide and others Guides/Strategy/gameplay

Users who are viewing this thread

Can't remember what each do but you can find it out, check your skills with all light equipment, add one heavy piece and see what drops, repeat with another and you get the info you want. Getting an all heavy set drops your power strike, throw and draw by two and your athletics by four.

Temujin said:
About the Shieldwall formation, is there a way to make the soldiers stand closer together?

I constantly feel like my shieldwall is less of a wall and more of a perforated shield gate

You'd have to recompile source with formation_minimum_spacing from module_constants set to something less than 47. Unless you can figure out which 13 out of 52 times the number 47 shows up in scripts.txt are the right ones to change.

The figure is historical, not necessarily what works for the game. The engine seems to allow agents to occupy most of the space taken by another body. Maybe you'll be able to space them 5 cm apart? :smile:

Winterborn said:
Thankyou! that makes perfect sense now that I think about it. I ran around the back of the shield wall and was stabbing our foemen in their backs when they spilled back out at me and I failed in my dodge and stab routine and got taken out. Forgot all about it as we handily won the fight(practically never happened in vanilla).

:lol: That's what I call the "Idibil clause." He insisted I do something about players attacking formations from the back!

Well, for a long time up to and including Brytenwalda 1.40 it was possible to use TweakMB for adding the option to force companions into staying ("We hang deserters in this company...").  I went for that since I really was pissed about them leaving a successful leader whom they liked just because of some quarrel with one or two people out of 50-100. 

Unfortunately, since upgrading to 1.41 the TweakMB options can still be checked, but ceased working ingame.  At least on my 1.40 savegame used in 1.41 they don't.  Would be interesting to hear if anyone who uses TweakMB can use the companion tweaks in 1.41 after starting a new game in 1.41.

For my current character, I'll use the tips given here via link to the companion thread for stable parties.

tourist 

Tocan said:
DerHerbst's Guide to Prevent Companions from Leaving
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,254993.0.html

If you have the module system you can use an easier method, go into module scripts and change these lines as shown:

(troop_set_slot, "trp_npc1", slot_troop_personalityclash_object, "trp_dranton"),  #borcha - deshavi
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_npc1", slot_troop_personalityclash2_object, "trp_dranton"),  #borcha - klethi

(troop_set_slot, "trp_npc1", slot_troop_kingsupport_opponent, "trp_dranton"), #lezalit

So long as you do not recruit Dranton into your party (which you cannot) no one ever complains.

If you want to raid villages and such you can also change morality complaints to one that will not bother you, or give it a -1.

Is there a way to leave army without losing equipment, but without deserting either? I want to keep the equipment, but I want to have good relations with the faction I'm fighting with.

Maybe if your lord loses a fight? In some freelancer versions you don't lose anything, if I remember correctly. There might be a quest to re-join the guy, could see what happens when you fail it. Might just lose personal relations with him, not the kingdom.

Next fight you're in grab a bow and arrows and start head-shoting your pals :grin:.

Von_Krieg said:
Is there a way to leave army without losing equipment, but without deserting either? I want to keep the equipment, but I want to have good relations with the faction I'm fighting with.

if you take the equipment and put it somewhere (I.E. in a chest, household items, or with companion) it will not go back. So, you can change your equipment. Just if you use the same item it will take that, even if you changed it.

Ivan Khan said:
Von_Krieg said:

if you take the equipment and put it somewhere (I.E. in a chest, household items, or with companion) it will not go back. So, you can change your equipment. Just if you use the same item it will take that, even if you changed it.
And where can I find such chests? I don't own any fiefs as of now, is there some storage area where you could store your equipment?

Von_Krieg said:
And where can I find such chests? I don't own any fiefs as of now, is there some storage area where you could store your equipment?
If you build the Lair it'll have a storage chest. IIRC, you can also store anything you want into an Enterprise's warehouse.

If you have the renown  to go into the lords halls then a lot of those have chests you can use as if you owned the place. Might be a bug but it's handy.

I have some kind of a problem  :???: I joined to the Ulaid, what was in a war with two other goidelic factions. Ulaid already had lose some fiefs, and after couple of weeks his last town was sieged. And Ulaid lose that town too, and left without any fiefs at all.
I thouth Ulaid will be eliminated, but no similar occurs. Conversely, chief of Ulaid make some lord a marshall. I wanted him to release me from oath, but he was in prison. I help him in breaking, but he doesn't talked much, and there was no that option, abouth oath. And now, traveller doesnt know where he is. It's been three weeks since prison breaking, no changes.

So, damn, faction will be eliminated or what? Or I should proseed a war partisan style? :facepalm:

P.S. Don't know where to post, so I'll post here, sorry if I may be wrong or something.

P.P.S. And sorry for broken english  :roll:

Your game appears to be broken.
When the last Lord gets captured, the faction will die and the king will be released.
I'm not sure whether YOU need to be captured.

Jail break bug is a problem with the mod.
I will be fixing that for v19 of the BW Reworked submod.
Otherwise, look up the thread by Gigantic or PM Gigantic on how to change the savegame.

I would start over or go to your last savegame.

Eh... Okay, I'll beter start from last save from when I was a free man.

Also, jail beak was OK, I dont notice any bug  :???:

Actually, before Brytenwalda Repolished came out there was a problem where defeated factions wouldn't disband after losing all their fiefs. That shouldn't prevent you from talking to the king though, IIRC.

MY OWN TIPS TO BRYTENWALDA (Repolished) GAME

by: Ambrose le Gaillard

Welcome to the Ambrose's way to Brytenwalda.
These tips are made for the people that like RPG's, and are my own way to this marvelous title, bettered again after the Brujoloco's work. Here's my way to the game, and hope this will help in some way, remembering to all's that English isn't my mother language, then be patient and forgive my mistakes.

1-Start:
In the character creation, I create more or less an alter-ego, not a character. I like have myself into the game, I reason about strategy, combat, and objectives as I had the same problems in real, and I aim my efforts in this way: the only variants are hairs -i haven't long barbaric hairs, but the face is more or less like me, and also initial stats reflect myself as I am.

2- First Days:
One of the first things that I do, is work in the surrounding villages and hamlets -first, this give me some extra food, second, if I'm lucky I will gain also beer or mead barrels to sell at high prices, third, I have the chance to be known and gain some knowledge with villagers, and this better my relation with them. A thing that one must remember, is to be careful while moving from or to villages, because Danes and bandits can attack and rob you, and one can end the day very far from the starting place.

After I have worked a few, I start to move away, maybe in some other kingdom, and repeat the experience, then, after have gained a few money selling the extra food, beer and mead, the next point is to become a soldier. For do this at his best, its better to go in a kingdom at your choice, then check the various lords, and enter as soldier with the nicest one.

Example: As Roman-British I started in Cantware, and after worked a few there, avoiding Franks and bandits at the best I can did, and gained some money, I started to  move away, wotrking here and there until I have found the Pengwern, a Celtic kingdom that please me -as Roman-British I dislike Angles and Saxons, invaders of the land that I call mine, Britannia, then I prefer march into Celtic armies than Anglo-Saxon's.
There, I tested a bit the various lords until I have found one that not insult me at sight, and I had requested and obtained to enter in his army.

Now, why one has any interest to become a soldier, march and fight for a lord instead have a his/her army?

First, experience:

the military service help a lot to learn and better fighting skills and this experience will reflect in the future;

Second, the pay:

a soldier will be payed well, (min. 150 scillingas/week) and if one stay in the army and gain experience, get also promotions, and will be payed better, and with the time he/she can make a good sum, and with this get the best armor and weapons on the market- usually I stay 1-3 months in service, and when the lord visit some city I can take very good gear for myself with a sum like 1500-2000 scillingas-not bad,mmm?;

Third: relations:

with the time, and after any great battle or siege, one can gain more respect from his lord, that will be a very good deal in the future, especially if one want become a mercenary or noble in the same kingdom.

3- Now, what?

Ok, you have worked in the fields, marched under a noble banner, gained some money and experience: now what?
Well, usually I go hunting in the North, for selling skins and beef to the cities: usually this give me an extra boost in money, and I amuse myself running after deers, boars, and so on. Remember also that killing boars is a very fine thing, because you can have a nice and protective boar cloak, that give +1 at the head, and +15 at the body. Not bad for some time spent running for hills and plains with bow and arrows:smile:

At this point, one can start his/her first band of peasants, and roam in the North battling morths, bandits and various outlaws, gaining more interesting gear and other money-simply take prisoners and sell to the first slaver you find, 20 of them are worth more or less about 1000-1500 scillingas, and this help a lot.

After you and your band have make some experience, you can start to go in Ireland, and battle Scotos and Outlaws, that are more hard and give better objects to sell/use: for now avoid to get NPC followers, you will have a lot of time for have your faithful friends, now its time to become someone.
If you want, and only if you think to stay a few time in Ireland, you can become mercenary under some Irish clan, but my advice is to stay free, and not commit into the Irish clan's petty wars, the game isn't worth, unless you have an irish character, and of course, its right to support our brethren.

4-Become a lord

Well, you have did a lot of experience, your fame is spreading across the British isles, and many lords know of you:it's time to gain a better stability in the world. At this point, seek a kingdom, work as mercenary for a few time, then, after have gained king and nobles trust, try to become one of them, and gain your fief.

See that I haven't said anyone about become a king: why this?

Too much difficult: you can work a lot for become king, and after became a ruler, you will have more or less all other rulers as adversaries: this mean to haven't a moment of peace, battling everywhere and oversee all the things: as noble you can become powerful the same, gain fiefs a lot, and also have high positions like kingdom marshall avoiding all this fatigue and amusing the double.

My own advice is to start well with king and nobles, gain every chance to acquire power in the kingdom, until you become one of the king's trusted advisors: in this process, the friendly king will offer many new fiefs, and you will become richer and richer again, your army will become better and experienced, and also Danes and Franks will be only a simple tactical exercise for you.
This is better that become a king, or not?

Well, I think to have said all: now my hope is that someone will like take in consideration my advice, and will gain benefits, amusing in our nice VII century Britannia.

Fare thee well then

Ambrose LeGaillard

Your a patient and imaginative player compared to most players out there.
Did you make an screenshots of your adventures?
What about of your character?
I am collecting these for a youtube slide show.

Back
Top Bottom