OSP 3D Art Barf's face models

Users who are viewing this thread

(talking about the men right? ^) I made alot of mistakes when I edited the mens faces, namely I did every single blend-shape by hand which was terribly tedious. The women were done using the existing blendshapes just modified, so its much closer to the original...I do plan on updating the mens faces to fix the mistakes I made but that will be version 3...which should fix everything and be the final version.

will look forward to it, yeah its with the male, the eyelid function doesn't seem to work, as in having wide eyes or closed eyes, i normally have my characters eyelids at minimum so there closed, hopefully you can get the function back in there

Good work! All the faces look more natural now, especially the men. For the women, well  they look a bit more «plumper» than the originals I have the impression.

Hope you can fix the issues when generating the male's faces. And I hope my character's face will stay the same, he looks much better now and I don't know if I can reconstruct the look. :smile:

Keep it up.

okay so I have a conundrum of sorts, or just a hard choice I guess.
I decided to add some triangles to the native face and it didn't work out so I lopped off one of my old models heads
and tried that out and it worked nicely, (pic below). But that was only before I remembered how performance minded
the m&b community was sooooo

I can either
-make only the low poly faces, 2 weeks est time til finish
-make only the higher poly faces, 2-3 weeks est time til finish
-make two versions, low poly and high poly.

I just thought of this now but it is possible to give the high-poly faces only to lords.

preview version of higher-poly 1420 triangles, 532 more triangles than natives, I optimised it as well as I could.
faces-4.jpg

btw I dont want this to be its own mod but just a mod resource, thats why I posted it in the forge.

The ones with higher poly count definitely look much better!

In the end it is your work, but if you ask me, go for the slightly higher poly.
I don't know how much it will actually affect frame rate. You seem to be aiming for maximum optimization, so I think 500 polys more are not wasted and it really looks better. If one wants more fps, keep the original meshes, the new ones you made, with iirc 20 less polys, aren't really going to make a difference for performance?!

The faces don't have lods?

hmm.  well, first it would be difficult to give this only to lords.  You can't have multiple head models per race so you'd have to define a new race for them (ie. male_human_lord) in module_skins.py, and there seems to be some issues with the gender in dialogs being messed up for new races....  You technically could make it a helmet with different skin textures, but then you wouldn't be able to adjust it in the face generator.  So its probably everything or nothing.

my vote would be for the higher poly model because there are already LOD's for the heads in the native game and it would make a significant graphical improvement in all mods since this replaces a native BRF.  If you did the lower-poly model then maybe not all people will be able to easily notice the improvements and if somebody has a performance problem they can always go back to the native BRF.  If my computer can handle the higher poly one than I want to use that.  :smile:    Also, keep in mind that probably 25-50% of the time this head will be covered by a beard or helmet, so it may not have to be perfect since some stuff will be covered up.    Last, if you do a female head, I would say you only need a high poly one, since they are lower in numbers and won't have any beards or helmets covering their heads.

being covered by helmets and beards is actually a reason to go low poly, IMHO.  If you can't see it, why make it high poly?  It will still be rendered and calculated if you can't see it.

On the other hand, with LODs and only 500 more polies, should be ok.  Droping 20 of 500 polies would grasping for resources.  Go high poly.  Like with other graphic enhancement mods, (and stuff) if you can't handle it, don't use it.

Good stuff Barf, keep it up. I guess having both a high and low poly version to choose from would be nice :smile:

I raise thee from the grave!!!, I started working again on this previously abandoned project now that I am more experienced with the module system and m&b in general.

Last time I made a great deal of mistakes, which will all be corrected and generally improved upon in this version.
namely, im going to include custom beards, hair, and face textures aiming for around 30 of each beard/hair and about 8 face textures.....also last time I simply used a modified native face-mesh but this one is my own.

I need suggestions for hair styles and if you want to add your face to the game it would actually help since finding good faces to use for the textures wastes alot of time.

if you are going to send me pictures to use I need 2, one straight on, and one at 2/3rds angle (45 degrees).
mb3.jpg

mb4.jpg

I'd like to see a really short buzz cut ingame.  There is the spiky top style of cut but no really short recently shaved look.  Love the new face and so glad you are working on this again.

yay! , suggestions already!...something like this?. if so I guess I could just paint it onto the face texture.
it would look younger than the typical bald-cap texture when you select no-hair, at least for the younger faces.
29623.gif

That is the haircut!  Except with 100% less Justin Timberlake haha.  Actually Gutts in RotB has that hair during his early battles as a child.  He looks awesome too.

Curls perhaps... I'd like to see curls in M&B. I'll be damned if I know how you will manage it but if you do then it's awesome :grin:

thank you, Amade is trying to kill me by making me do curls...I took some pics of my mug this morning with the digital camera
I look like a mexican gangster straight out of GTA (not done obviously I failed to realize the need for a picture of my profile so I will have to take another picture).

I am starting to wonder if just using photo's has the best effect, the other option would be to paint all the textures which might have a better impression.

another face, im running out of textures quickly and an hour of searching on google only got me 1 more......painting the faces is starting to become necessary so I might just do that.
face3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom