Bans/mutes/warnings discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delora Filth

Do you want to run this ship?
Marquis
I'm fully aware it's not really my place. But I'm getting pretty sick of the ban/mute/warning thread getting spammed up with debating over the whetherto's and the whyfore's each time a remotely more significant member than a recruit gets a slap on the wrist. So I'm taking Moss' brilliant suggestion here.
Moss said:
If you'd like to discuss it with other forum users the thread Aust. posted is a good place, or someone could create a thread discussing the specific issue in question if they feel like it warrants its own thread.

Just once though it would be nice for people to actually believe that the mod team aren't a bunch of despotic psychopaths with no grip on reality and just trust us to fix an obvious error like this without immediately going to battle stations.

I really don't feel the suggested "What do you think of the moderators" thread is all too suitable either. Since that's more for general feedback. So I guess I'm finally annoyed enough to get proactive about it. Go forth people, and nag, ***** and sulk to your heart's desire. Or to put it more poetically, ALL HANDS TO BATTLESTATIONS!

I still don't see why it should be a different thread. Just feels like an attempt to sweep it under the rug to me.

I'm sorry if the mods don't like being attacked over things sometimes, but several mistakes have been made and the person who is punished as a result of those mistakes is rarely heard out unless others speak up for them.

On that note, I do find complaining in the thread about your own warn kinda tacky. :lol:

Well, if you mean people who have been muted or banned, then they can't post here, they can only PM which is where they aren't really heard out, hence people speaking up for them. Warnings are rarely unfair and even if they are, big woop, it's just a warning.

People uptight enough to complain about their warnings will do it there anyway. :razz:

Well, all I'm really hoping for is to alleviate, if not avoid, the pages long discussions between other people that arise from it.

Those I think are more appropriate in the "What do you think of the Mods" thread. Unless it's a ban/mute/warn related disagreement, in which case it's the main reason for this thread.

I don't see this staying active for long, unfortunately. It will probably get locked after somebody goes on a tirade about that 20% warning they received for calling somebody a ****** but really it was OK because that person was their friend and obviously the mods should have known about that so it was clearly unfair (or something equally silly).

It would be nice to have a place for open discussion about specific admin/moderator actions, though. I think asking somebody who has already been tried and sentenced (in somebody's mind, anyhow) to make a private appeal to the person that condemned them is fundamentally flawed.

Orion said:
I don't see this staying active for long, unfortunately. It will probably get locked after somebody goes on a tirade about that 20% warning they received for calling somebody a ****** but really it was OK because that person was their friend and obviously the mods should have known about that so it was clearly unfair (or something equally silly).
Don't see why the thread would be locked over that, probably wouldn't warn/mute anyone over it either unless they broke some other rule while doing it.

Orion said:
It would be nice to have a place for open discussion about specific admin/moderator actions, though. I think asking somebody who has already been tried and sentenced (in somebody's mind, anyhow) to make a private appeal to the person that condemned them is fundamentally flawed.
The way it's supposed to work is that the appeal doesn't remain private to the admin that receives the appeal, it's published on the moderator/admin board and put to a communal vote/discussion. That and the appeal is usually sent to multiple mods/admins rather than just the one who warned/muted/banned them. I definitely see how some people might find that uncomfortable, but I just don't see how we could make the appeal process more open without also turning it into a disastrous public spectacle.

I'm open to suggestions though, any thoughts?

I think the current system is quite fine, to be honest. Problems occur only when there is a misunderstanding on what got someone warned/muted/banned or when the admin team has made a mistake and haven't had the time to react to it yet.

As long as people have a place where they can discuss, criticize and end up understanding the actions of moderation, everything should be fine. I think this thread is meant to serve that purpose.

As for the other thread I started long ago about relaying thoughts on moderation members, I think that one is pretty much dead at the moment. Was never really used in seriousness.

Moss said:
The way it's supposed to work is that the appeal doesn't remain private to the admin that receives the appeal, it's published on the moderator/admin board and put to a communal vote/discussion. That and the appeal is usually sent to multiple mods/admins rather than just the one who warned/muted/banned them. I definitely see how some people might find that uncomfortable, but I just don't see how we could make the appeal process more open without also turning it into a disastrous public spectacle.

I'm open to suggestions though, any thoughts?

I've been here nearly forever, and I wasn't aware of this process. Just knowing that your appeal is going to be seen by more than one person might be enough incentive to send one. I noticed you said this is the way it's "supposed to work." I take it that means it's really up to whichever admin receives the appeal to post it in the moderator boards still, and not all of them make it there.

Maybe a simple automated system for posting appeals in the mod board would remedy that. Appeals could be sent to some specific account, and all PMs it receives with a keyword in the title or whatnot could be automatically posted to a thread in the mod boards for review with a link back to the profile of the user that sent the message. That (ideally) would reduce the number of PMs moderators have to process, skip the potential pitfall of mods not posting PMs publicly in the mod board, and centralize appeals so they're easier to discuss/process.

Just an idea.

I like the basic idea for that, Orion, but I think you could streamline it further. Suppose when you're warned/muted and you go to your profile, you could click on the warning/mute and go to a page (similar to the report page) where you could appeal the warning/mute if you felt it necessary (there would have to be a big thing in red text telling people to ONLY APPEAL IF THEY TRULY FEEL THAT IT IS NECESSARY, and to not bombard the mods with appeals). Same thing with bans, except that instead of going to your profile (which you probably can't see if you're banned) you'd receive a message that read "Sorry, you can't see this, you've been banned (along with a link to the appeal page if you wanted to appeal the ban)" when you went anywhere on the forum.

Filing an appeal would then automatically create a thread on the Moderation Board with your appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom