MP Bannerlord Duels: Predictions vs. Reality

Users who are viewing this thread

I think duels are good for showing individual skill but in the end scrims and skirmish mode will be sword and shield so manual blocking wont be as much of a problem, shields can block instantly so that part of the game is playable. Wierd that shields dont have block delay but directional blocking which takes much more skill has a delay..

Duelling in bannerlord will be unfulfilling until the issues with the footwork of the game and time to block are resolved. The footwork is so bad and rewards (and once people learn kick-slashes, downright forces) kiting, that duelling is largely pointless. There is nothing in the movement system at the moment that forces people to even be in a fight at the moment, forward movement is not significantly faster than kiting while attacking movement. Speed is close to being omnidirectional, and barely affected by attacking, using ranged weapons or holding attacks. It makes little sense that a player can move away from a player while holding an attack faster than a player just moving forward at them. But they can. With this movement system, there is nothing a melee player can do to force a duel without an objective flag to aid them.

I think Mordhau has a great combat system, but I don't think it's comparable to Warband's. Blocking is basically just based on timing, no directional blocking involved, there're different mechanics and it's great combat for duels, but I doubt it is objectively superior to Warband combat.

Mordhau's combat system has a lot of issues that are very distinct from the issues that bannerlord has, but are still very game-limiting.

The problems were largely:

Pings above 50ms would mean you directly take 30% of your hits directly from red parries, i.e parries that did not reach the server in time. It is a game that only functions properly if you can get 30ms latency or less. People below 30ms latency also were allowed to double parry attacks they fell for far more frequently than people above 50ms. It's to the extent that players at even just 55ms latency need to play with a completely different combat logic.

Initiative is determined too much by getting successful ripostes, to the extent that the outnumbered player in a 2v1 can't get initiative purely as the enemy can deliberately miss to prevent getting riposted. Essentially hitting a wall next to someone in a 2v1 is enough to kill them.

Stabs were unreadable, which in this context means that all you had to do for an unreadable attack was stand in someone's face and scroll up. They could be chambered, but the stab could be morphed or dragged, putting the defender at a large stamina disadvantage for low effort.

As reading accels/drags were largely enabled by footwork, light armour became extremely broken as it enabled you to footwork to the extent that you wouldn't need to read that hard at all.You could just footwork any attack that was dragged or accelled by a heavy armour user. This is made even more akward as one enemy miss is generally enough to win on stamina. I believe this is something that they're still trying to address

The existence of unreadable attacks in general meant that to some extent the game was always probabilistic. If an unreadable attack is performed against you, then sure, maybe you shouldn't be in that position, but it also means that you could just luck your way out of it by guessing the correct outcome. This went even further where even things that were considered bad decisions ended up winning fights. For example if you fall for the morph on a morph feint and early parry, you often won because your bad play (falling for the morph), led the attacker to lose stamina.

Regeneration broke skirmish as people could just stand out of the fight and regain health.

I played it to the extent of being a middle-level comp player, so I am not perfectly authoritative, and the above information is probably 3 months old now, but the game is definitely not superior to warband on any basis.

Last edited:
Duelling in bannerlord will be unfulfilling until the issues with the footwork of the game and time to block are resolved. The footwork is so bad and rewards (and once people learn kick-slashes, downright forces) kiting, that duelling is largely pointless. There is nothing in the movement system at the moment that forces people to even be in a fight at the moment, forward movement is not significantly faster than kiting while attacking movement. Speed is close to being omnidirectional, and barely affected by attacking, using ranged weapons or holding attacks. It makes little sense that a player can move away from a player while holding an attack faster than a player just moving forward at them. But they can. With this movement system, there is nothing a melee player can do to force a duel without an objective flag to aid them.

Mordhau's combat system has a lot of issues that are very distinct from the issues that bannerlord has, but are still very game-limiting.

The problems were largely:

Pings above 50ms would mean you directly take 30% of your hits directly from red parries, i.e parries that did not reach the server in time. It is a game that only functions properly if you can get 30ms latency or less. People below 30ms latency also were allowed to double parry attacks they fell for far more frequently than people above 50ms. It's to the extent that players at even just 55ms latency need to play with a completely different combat logic.

Initiative is determined too much by getting successful ripostes, to the extent that the outnumbered player in a 2v1 can't get initiative purely as the enemy can deliberately miss to prevent getting riposted. Essentially hitting a wall next to someone in a 2v1 is enough to kill them.

Stabs were unreadable, which in this context means that all you had to do for an unreadable attack was stand in someone's face and scroll up. They could be chambered, but the stab could be morphed or dragged, putting the defender at a large stamina disadvantage for low effort.

As reading accels/drags were largely enabled by footwork, light armour became extremely broken as it enabled you to footwork to the extent that you wouldn't need to read that hard at all.You could just footwork any attack that was dragged or accelled by a heavy armour user. This is made even more akward as one enemy miss is generally enough to win on stamina. I believe this is something that they're still trying to address

The existence of unreadable attacks in general meant that to some extent the game was always probabilistic. If an unreadable attack is performed against you, then sure, maybe you shouldn't be in that position, but it also means that you could just luck your way out of it by guessing the correct outcome. This went even further where even things that were considered bad decisions ended up winning fights. For example if you fall for the morph on a morph feint and early parry, you often won because your bad play (falling for the morph), led the attacker to lose stamina.

Regeneration broke skirmish as people could just stand out of the fight and regain health.

I played it to the extent of being a middle-level comp player, so I am not perfectly authoritative, and the above information is probably 3 months old now, but the game is definitely not superior to warband on any basis.

Most of them arent game breaking issues, only on a competitive level they come to play (except the scroller kids). I myself reached diamond in mordhau duel ranked. Scrimmed vs some decent clans aswell like vs berserkers. I agree with your points, but warband had issues aswell.
  1. Glances caused weird stuns on max range, that means you "miss" and die because of that. If you normally missed you wouldnt have died (NW)
  2. Ping had an insane impact on chambers, which means if you had 5 ping instead of 30 you could stun the enemy fast enough without them being able to react to it, in native ping didnt matter that much because of the shields (NW)
  3. Ghost ranges on certain weapons
Pretty sure others will be able to list far more issues

With reactivness, for honor went into depth there. Maybe the OP plays on low frames aswell, which makes it way harder to react. But still think that ever move in MB should be reactable.

Last edited:

Bingo.

Honestly, the movement speed and footwork might be public enemy numero uno -ahead of even the block delay. You used the term "omnidirectional" and that is exactly how it feels. I also think the current lack of hit stun to movement speed ties in closely to this as well. Many times, I've landed a clean hit to my opponent, only for my immediate follow up attack to completely miss because they backpedaled or strafed out of range (I was holding W key the whole time too).

In Warband, a flush hit would stagger the opponent, not only preventing them from attacking, but also stopping their movement speed. You could easily follow up with another attack, because most times your opponent couldn't move anywhere or at the very least couldn't escape your range in time. Hell, you could even circle around slightly and get a new angle on them and still launch an attack they would have to directly respond to.

In Bannerlord, opponents can just run away from my next attack, even though half a second ago I hit them for 74 damage. No stagger -no follow-up. Feels bad.

in case anyone wondering how does duel works atm at top skill level in bannerlord - feel free to check out this video:

this is me fighting with one of the best duelists in Bannerlord: APRIKOSENMANN, and compare it with some of duel footage from Warband:

then remove the block delay from the game or reduce it to an extent which was in warband, tyvm.

i changed it because it was rude, ye on multiple teams

just one of the examples (idk much about na scene, vinland seems to be one of the biggest pepega teams around, fun to watch though)

Back to the first page but you realize that with different monitors handle black level differently. This person might have an excellent monitor and be able to see clearly.

Back to the first page but you realize that with different monitors handle black level differently. This person might have an excellent monitor and be able to see clearly.
Its designed in a way so you dont see anything https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/PostProcessing-EyeAdaptation.html
Setting your graphics to a lower value removes that post processing effect. A screen doesnt have a significant impact to counter this.

Furthermore, one guy even says he cant see ****. So probably not everyone in that team has that "excellent" monitor.

in case anyone wondering how does duel works atm at top skill level in bannerlord - feel free to check out this video:

this is me fighting with one of the best duelists in Bannerlord: APRIKOSENMANN, and compare it with some of duel footage from Warband:

then remove the block delay from the game or reduce it to an extent which was in warband, tyvm.

they shouldnt lower it too much or we will go back to this (im not a fan of it being clunky but there needs to be some kind of balance)

maybe this is a little bit more representative, its just a patience games at this point then

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom