At the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

b00227783

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Everytime I logged on to the 250 slot invasion server at the weekend, there was some twat throwing grenades on the pikeline/cannon or shooting his blunderbuss into a line of musketeers.

Most of them were poll banned but I just had a thought, why bother with friendly fire on an invasion server? It just causes a whole lot of grief. For example, some people like to run up and shoot at the bots as they spawn with a blunderbuss for maximum effectiveness. Smart people at the defensive point(The end of the bridge in Eagles Nest for example) don't fire until everyone is out of the way, but some people fire anyways and end up killing a teammate instead, and that could end up degrading into each of them fighting and flaming and then we have the aforementioned **** above.

Another reason this would be nice, is that pikemen can actually hold the defensive points without fear of a overzealous cannoneer ripping their backs out.

Yes I know it detracts from the realism but honestly, if this was 100% realistic the AI wouldn't be running in a straight line towards a grapeshot cannon :lol:

Eiríkr Rauði said:
Most of them were poll banned

Problem solved.

:lol:

For an hour. In fact, I bet it was the same folks coming back every hour doing the same stuff. I wouldn't bother with this if I saw an admin at all but I didn't, and I'm not going to shout at admins to be active on the weekends, some people have a life :razz:

Infact... Woah there Mabons. You don't want to be caught pulling facts out of your arse, do you?

Repeat poll-ban if they return. That's exactly what the poll-ban is for, deterring and removing problem users. Working as intended and certainly not worth the removal of FF for a couple of 'tards with cone-spread blackpowder weapons.

Eiríkr Rauði said:
Infact... Woah there Mabons. You don't want to be caught pulling facts out of your arse, do you?

Repeat poll-ban if they return. That's exactly what the poll-ban is for, deterring and removing problem users. Working as intended and certainly not worth the removal of FF for a couple of 'tards with cone-spread blackpowder weapons.

Buuuuuut, sometimes these poll bans don't work. Honestly, it isn't just because of the guys who intentionally teamkill. It's frustrating as hell to be just surviving the round and charge in to melee to take down the last remaining bots and then shot by someone who thought it was a good idea to fire a blunderbuss into a melee. Or when a newbie takes control of the cannon and shoots into the pikeline and gets us all killed. Was it intentional? No, but he's gotta learn how to use the cannon somehow.

Anyhow, you're not convincing me that poll bans are the solution :razz:

I think friendly fire should never be off in any event  :mrgreen:

If that guy with the blunderbuss doesn't want to get shot, he should stop blocking all the musketeers' line of fire. As for the newbie using a cannon, it is so incredibly simple to just ask how. It's not like it's complicated.

On a related note, one thing I personally think should happen is that the population limit in an invasion server should not allow a hundred people or more on at the same time. That's just a cluster**** if you ask me. I like it at 30 or less even.

An awful lot of it would be solved if people played as team and used common sense instead of point whoring.

Take Eagles nest, people always run up and nade the spearmen at spawn wasting valuable nades and then run back across the bridge stopping volley fire and making the 50+ spearmen a lot harder to deal with for the maybe 4 pikeman holding the bridge. Instead of you know, waiting for the buggers to cross the bridge, cannon them, volley them and pike em.

Then after two waves and the majority of spear chaps are all dealt with perhaps say falling back inside the tower may be a good idea, have pikes hold the door, a few muskets and blunders holding the room behind and the rest of the muskets holding upstairs and volley firing from the bridge and opposing tower. Then those engies who didn't waste their nades could throw them effectively into the grouped up enemy riflemen outside the tower.

So little common sense and tactical bloody forethought in most invasion games its a wonder some make it past the second round. I'm contemplating writing up a thread with maps tactics for each map, decent trench placement and basic principles such as say "If there is a man crouching in front of you don't fire over his bloody head!" or "Don't fire into a melee!". If people thought for once we wouldn't half have as many team kills.

sammac said:
Nerf the blunderbus?:p

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It's actually pretty realistic. If you think it's too powerful, it's only because there are multiple projectiles hitting the same target.

Hugues said:
sammac said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It's actually pretty realistic. If you think it's too powerful, it's only because there are multiple projectiles hitting the same target.
If the blunderbus was realistically as powerful as it is in this mod, why wasn't it widespread? It's ridiculously powerful as well as requiring no skill to use. point it and everything in a 30o arc is going to die or be left with under half hp(and armour does little to stop it).

sammac said:
Hugues said:
sammac said:

If the blunderbus was realistically as powerful as it is in this mod, why wasn't it widespread? It's ridiculously powerful as well as requiring no skill to use. point it and everything in a 30o arc is going to die or be left with under half hp(and armour does little to stop it).

Well it was widely used, but obviously not as much as the muskets because of it's terrible accuracy and range. And it's blunderbuss with 2 s's.

This isn't about the blunderbuss. It's about nubcaeks coming onto deluge and tking en masse.

Illegal Carpenter said:
They're clearly nubs. If they were smart, they would quit and re-join every time a poll ban was started against them. Trolls these days.

Ooo a professional troll.

Is it not possible to script into the mod that if you get Teamkilled within, say, 10-20 seconds of the game starting, you instantly respawn and your killer is slain?

sammac said:
If anything, a real blunderbuss would probably be significantly more powerful irl than in this mod. And you're even vastly overstating its use. Anything as far as about fifteen feet is very easily hit with muskets and rifles and even bows but you'd have to be extraordinarily lucky to hit with a blunderbuss at that range. Bbusses are only useful at short range when the enemy is closely packed together. Or for shooting horses away from under overenthusiastic cavalry.

However, I just played a bit of Battle and there was a ****LOAD of tk'ing. So much so that about half my team actually went into the mine of the Mine map and the other half stood back to start a tk-fest near our own spawn. For little reason. That server crashed and I and some others went to a tdm server where, indeed, some of them started the same tking again.

Eragon91 said:
Is it not possible to script into the mod that if you get Teamkilled within, say, 10-20 seconds of the game starting, you instantly respawn and your killer is slain?
Ooh, that sounds interesting.

Hugues said:
sammac said:
Hugues said:
sammac said:

Well it was widely used, but obviously not as much as the muskets because of it's terrible accuracy and range. And it's blunderbuss with 2 s's.

It's not used as much as the musket because... it's boring to play, the class that uses it is limited, the class that uses it has other weapons and tools to use.

I think the blunderbuss is hilarious and if I engineer I'm more inclined to bring it than a grenade. Though if I can I'll take both gladly. Both are severely limited in terms of accuracy and range but, well, hilarious.

Eragon91 said:

I added auto-revive option for Invasion. After a while I expanded this to Battle mode (not tested, though) + added "auto-slain teamkiller" option + added gold refund for teamkilled player (0-200 percentage value of player equipement).

Back
Top Bottom