OSP Code Campaign Arch3r OS: Bridge Battles

Users who are viewing this thread

Amman de Stazia said:
We're going to actually not use your code Arch3r, as one of the mod team independently came up with a different idea for the same result.

But good work, and 6 thumbs from us for not only making it, but allowing everyone to join in with OpenSource!
Not a problem at all. :smile:

Wow, a few days off the forum and someone realises one of the plans I had for my mod :sad:

But yeah, anyway, it was about time, the idea of using unique battle scenes isn't really complex.

A somewhat related idea... I guess about everyone hates the rocky conversation scene... I don't have the MS passages in mind, but is implementing a small battle map really as easy as replacing the conversation scene with a small map with the spawn points and giving it the randomize flag?

Sure, there might be weird results in forests and hilly terrain, but that's the price, I guess.

Another method: certain custom conversation scenes are picked on certain terrain types.

But yeah, I feel I'm getting too wildly off-topic. Sorry.

Soil said:
A somewhat related idea... I guess about everyone hates the rocky conversation scene... I don't have the MS passages in mind, but is implementing a small battle map really as easy as replacing the conversation scene with a small map with the spawn points and giving it the randomize flag?
Why not just use the battle map you've generated for the battle? Surely if you're in the same place on the world map it generates the same map-ish? :smile:

EDIT: Oh, hills. Oops. :oops:

I use a random scene to replace the rocks.  works every time.  Except when there's a tree/cliff under the spawn point.  Ne'er mind.

Leto said:
are there any mods using it (im not much a a modder)
Yes, The Peninsular War is using a similar feature, not this one though. Revenge of the berserk implented it and HYW will. AotE will have an expanded version with mountain passes and crossroads etc.

Hey, a quick question to possibly expand on this:  Would it be at all possible to store the battlefield that gets generated in regular random battles, then programatically recall it later for another battle? This mod got me thinking, that it would be neat to be able to 'mark' a location on  your map (of a particularly defensively sound battlefield, say) and be able to retreat to it if pursued by a larger force (where you have the advantage of familiarity with the terrain, and its defensive bonuses.)  I think this could potentially lead to a whole new dynamic of M&B if executed correctly, the question is, can it be done?

Marchris said:
Hey, a quick question to possibly expand on this:  Would it be at all possible to store the battlefield that gets generated in regular random battles, then programatically recall it later for another battle? This mod got me thinking, that it would be neat to be able to 'mark' a location on  your map (of a particularly defensively sound battlefield, say) and be able to retreat to it if pursued by a larger force (where you have the advantage of familiarity with the terrain, and its defensive bonuses.)  I think this could potentially lead to a whole new dynamic of M&B if executed correctly, the question is, can it be done?

Yeah, sounds possible. Just make a scene, make a "party" to go with it on the map and assign the scene to that. :???:

Yeah, that part is pretty straight forward, but what about saving the terrain code that would theoretically be generated when you enter a new battle?  My primary goal with this would be to replicate the exact same battlefield after visiting it twice.  I don't see a way of doing that in looking through header_operations, but maybe I'm missing something.  The closest I can think of at this point would be to setup a bunch of manual scenes and pretty much do what this mod does by having them listed individually in module_scenes.

tl;dr: after fight on random terrain, save terrain code so that you can revisit that exact same battlefield.

Archer!
Do you plan to do anything else with this?
I mean; Will you add or refine anything to this?

I've tried it and I like it and I can't see anything that needs refining.
I'm just curious.

This is cool, it takes away a great piece of this "generic" feel that m&b sometimes has.

One idea I had before: would it be possible to make factions hold bridges (like a town, station units there to guard it)? That would be even cooler, being able to control rivers as dividing borders between different territories.

touareg said:
This is cool, it takes away a great piece of this "generic" feel that m&b sometimes has.

One idea I had before: would it be possible to make factions hold bridges (like a town, station units there to guard it)? That would be even cooler, being able to control rivers as dividing borders between different territories.

Bloody cool idea! What would be better is if these border/crossing posts could also generate patrol parties so that controlling them would also extend your military power.

SantasHelper said:
Verry nice feature !

I'll be putting it in Brittain at War for Rathos !
No doubt it will make its way in Calradia Rising before release  :razz:

Thanks a lot !
No problem, I'm glad that you use it :razz:.

amade said:
touareg said:

Bloody cool idea! What would be better is if these border/crossing posts could also generate patrol parties so that controlling them would also extend your military power.

This will be in my mod Avarice of the Exiled, but more. Bridges, mountain passes, crossroads and other strategic points will have two scenes, fortified and standard. Factions can choose to fortify these vital positions, and they will act like a castle. I will also add a trigger that when a party is too close to the castle/bridge/mountain pass etc...the party can't progress, they have to fight the garrison first. This way a kingdom can prevent the enemies from messing with the economy, and gain income by asking toll from neutral caravans. No longer will you be able to easily go to the middle of a enemy kingdom and raid some villages for income, without a good attack force you won't even pass the first line of defence. The player will be able to buy/hire support parties and doesn't have to train his troops all by himself since you can pay for training. I'll implent new ways of income as well as ways to spend it, so a good economy is more important than ever. When a bridge is fortified, they will act like castles in about all ways. The only exception is that when a faction takes over the fortification disappears.

Sorry for this long post, at least I used periods so I hope you can read it  :wink:.

I love it. Easy to install, easy to modify the seperate scenes, easy to add new ones. I love it. (And it plays fun too! :lol: )

Yeah, Arch3r, I'm going to get that bridge to you soon. Been swamped with TLD stuff until just a couple days ago; don't give up hope.  :wink:

Archer I know you are making mountain pass scenes.  I made a couple for my mod that might work for you, and they already have ai mesh so all you would need to do is edit them to your purposes.  Let me know if that would help you.

Back
Top Bottom