• Russia

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • Saxony

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Portugal

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Ugh, don't even put them in. The fire particle, especially when spammed, is horrible.

Shred, try asking Dain about Grenades, he likes you so he might help you out with them.

Perhaps smoke would be better anyway? It's less laggy (if done correctly), more realistic, and, yeah...

It's not about laggy, it's about how just making a giant fire where the grenade lands is stupid looking. It's something I'd expect from.. lazier mods.

Again, I'd suggest Shredzors himself PM Dain or Highlander about it.

Highlander hasn't seemed too interested in sharing, and Dain's about the same way. I suggest that Shredzors PM Dain, 'cause Dain's been in a good mood and likes him.

It looks cooler then nothing, Also it being able to be trown agains is horribly bad.

Also the range of them are terrefic, Make them shortranged, but a more powerfull blast.

Short range, lots of smoke, relatively small damage= perfect Grenade.

As in mod of this kind, the grenades should be more used as distraction (a bit like the smoke grenades today), to create much smoke and a BIG BOOM!

But anyway, it should have enough power, to kill a cavalrymans horse. And take over a half of a soldiers health bar.

Grenades could not have been used effectively against charging cavalry. Yet in this mod, they are insta-win buttons. I repeatedly threw grenades at the feet of oncoming cavalry, and nailed infantry even at quite far distances, getting kill-shots most of the time.

First of all, they are far too quickly, and easily thrown. These were not weapons you could just whip out from your magic pocket and throw. The process of fiddling with and lighting the match ensured that the process of throwing one of these was time consuming. I suggest drastically, drastically reducing weapon speed - to say, 10 or 20. This would leave the thrower exposed to some extent at medium-short range, and make it less practical to be thrown at point-blank.

Next, they do far too much damage, with too wide a radius. I was picking off targets, getting "killing shots" 3 out of 4 times - and from rather long distances, too. These things should need to be thrown en masse to have effect. They shouldn't be an individual's weapon for the purpose of picking off other individuals - that is a role for which they were historically, and should be in this mod, wholly unsuited.
But just imagine this: a battle between regiments, or a packed group of infantry fighting another packed group of infantry. One side decides to all throw their grenades at once. With grenades as they are, that is one massive mortar bombardment which will obliterate everyone on the opposing team in a matter of seconds.
To counter this, I believe that grenades should have a damage radius no larger than the width of two or three players (meaning, 4-6 players' width in diameter), and a direct hit should take out no more than half one's health. This would ensure that they need to be thrown in mass to have effect, but would also ensure that if they are thrown in mass, they would not be over powered, and would still require some skill on the part of the throwers.

Lastly, very small smoke effects, please. These were not giant mortars of death, as the current effect (both graphical, and in terms of damage and radius) suggest.

Hibiki said:
Grenades could not have been used effectively against charging cavalry. Yet in this mod, they are insta-win buttons. I repeatedly threw grenades at the feet of oncoming cavalry, and nailed infantry even at quite far distances, getting kill-shots most of the time.

First of all, they are far too quickly, and easily thrown. These were not weapons you could just whip out from your magic pocket and throw. The process of fiddling with and lighting the match ensured that the process of throwing one of these was time consuming. I suggest drastically, drastically reducing weapon speed - to say, 10 or 20. This would leave the thrower exposed to some extent at medium-short range, and make it less practical to be thrown at point-blank.

Next, they do far too much damage, with too wide a radius. I was picking off targets, getting "killing shots" 3 out of 4 times - and from rather long distances, too. These things should need to be thrown en masse to have effect. They shouldn't be an individual's weapon for the purpose of picking off other individuals - that is a role for which they were historically, and should be in this mod, wholly unsuited.
But just imagine this: a battle between regiments, or a packed group of infantry fighting another packed group of infantry. One side decides to all throw their grenades at once. With grenades as they are, that is one massive mortar bombardment which will obliterate everyone on the opposing team in a matter of seconds.
To counter this, I believe that grenades should have a damage radius no larger than the width of two or three players (meaning, 4-6 players' width in diameter), and a direct hit should take out no more than half one's health. This would ensure that they need to be thrown in mass to have effect, but would also ensure that if they are thrown in mass, they would not be over powered, and would still require some skill on the part of the throwers.

Lastly, very small smoke effects, please. These were not giant mortars of death, as the current effect (both graphical, and in terms of damage and radius) suggest.
Amen.
I know shredz took them out, but they should be added back in with this a a guide.
This, coupled with a very expensive price, would make them balanced.

Yes, a very large smoke effect would cause lag with some players( actually with almost all players). BUT a very small smoke effect would make the grenade almost useless as DISTRACTION.

And also, making it expensive, wouldn't be too good choice, it would be a hell of a more realistic if:

A Only a grenadier could use it (of course).

B Everyone only gets one/two.

My point is: only few can use it, and not in great amounts. Altrough in those days the grenadiers carried more than one or two grenades at time, but  i think this would still be the better way.

Anyway I totally agree with the rest of your arguments. And for the smoke effect... Let's say medium (clearly more than the musket's smoke effect, but still not the super-big-lag-smoke style).

That's fine, at least until they're sorted out.

Grenadiers didn't always use grenades. In fact, in later years very few Grenadiers used grenades.

Grenades were not really deadly just painful and annoying. If you have played ETW you know that they rarely kill enemies but are huge morale killers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZSCqfMAlUY. So I don't think they should do much damage, and they should have a small blast radius. 18th century grenades were not strong at all so I suggest you do this. Maybe they take away 1/3 health if it lands right on top of you. And this also adds to the game being possible since we don't want the game to be about grenade barrages at masses of enemies and killing them all.

J12-19 said:
Grenades were not really deadly just painful and annoying. If you have played ETW you know that they rarely kill enemies but are huge morale killers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZSCqfMAlUY. So I don't think they should do much damage, and they should have a small blast radius. 18th century grenades were not strong at all so I suggest you do this. Maybe they take away 1/3 health if it lands right on top of you. And this also adds to the game being possible since we don't want the game to be about grenade barrages at masses of enemies and killing them all.
True, true, as I did some more research about this thing, Grenades mostly caused Injuries (wich altrough quite often led to death or at least amputation).

at least make them only take away 1/6 of ur health , even if u take a direct hit ( and has a chance of knocking u down ) i want teh see how these things work out

Back
Top Bottom