Animation change in Native or B&S?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maleficus04

Recruit
I hadn't played Mount and Blade for a year or 2 up until a few days ago, when I rediscovered my love for it. Of course, I immediately got B&S back, having loved it in the past.

Something I've noticed though, that's kind of been annoying me is that the thrust animation for 1 handed weapons (you thought I was gonna say spears or lances didn't you?) seems to be a bit strange. Instead of the "I'm actually thrusting through someone" animation, it looks like I'm just doing a very quick poke. As annoying as it would be just getting used to that as it is, there's another problem. It seems to be extremely difficult to actually hit/hurt anyone with this type of attack. I've tried it with many different types of swords and they all seem to do it.

I was just wondering if this is something that was added in the a newer version of B&S, a newer patch for Native or just some bug from one or the other. Any kind of info on it would be greatly appreciated.

Maleficus04 said:
(you thought I was gonna say spears or lances didn't you?)
Haaaaa  :razz:

The thrust animation for swords, from what I can recall, is a way to make the game more realistic by giving you more attacks with swords. The poke attack is actually pretty effective against heavily armoured opponents, much more than a slash attack. But don't quote me on any of this. Personally, I don't like the poke attack, but there are swords such as the cleaver where that attack isn't available.

Right, right. I mean, I know there's always been a thrust attack for a lot of the swords. The thing I'm confused about is that it seems like it uses a lot shorter animation than I remember. It used to be very similar, if not identical, to the original spear thrust animation. You thrusted, you saw the weapon go through the person and then it came back. It could be very fast and you could still see all of that happening. Now it just looks like you barely thrust the weapon forward and spend the majority of your effort pulling it back. It's to a degree where you couldn't realistically thrust through anything more than an inch (2.54cm) or so thick. If all else fails, I may make a video showing what I'm talking about. It's definitely different from how it used to be, I'm just uncertain of what caused it and the reason behind it.

i was already typing out a spear thrust explanation when i read hallegras post in the summary window.

i don't use 1 handed weapons with a stab that much, i'll look into it tho

You just need to practice the thrust in this mod, it's different than in vanilla. I can make thrust kills with swords (especially 2-H) quite easily if I want to, although I prefer slash attacks.

I'm gonna need to make a video for this... the one handed thrust animation is much faster than the two handed one and I don't think it's supposed to be this way. I don't mean the attack speed is faster, either. I mean the overall animation looks sped up and there's more effort put into retracting the blade than thrusting it. I'll update with a video soon to show what I mean.

Ok, so here's a video showing what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUo6Ygc8578&feature=youtu.be

I know that I wasn't in range to hit sometimes, but other times I would've been, had the old (basically, the same style as the 2h weapon, only with a 1h) one handed animation played. I did manage to connect once, but it had about the same effect as hitting someone in really heavy armor with a low damage chopping weapon.

And please don't say anything about me losing in the arena. It should be pretty obvious I wasn't trying to do well. I was just trying to show the poking animation and I figured the arena would be the easiest way to showcase it without a lot of trouble.

When you put it like that, it does seem to be quite a problem. In that case, it seems that it's the speed of the weapon...

I'm playing as a barbarian so I do have a lot of attack speed, but I thought about that as well. I tried exporting my character and editing my agility to be like 15-20 and it still happened with every single one handed thrust weapon I tried, regardless of their speed. I'm not really sure what to do about it. The only temporary solution I can think of would be for me to change the one handed thrust animation to that of the one handed spear thrust and use that. I'm not particularly keen on that idea, though, as I'm not really a big fan of the new spear animation. But I mean, regardless of whether or not I like it, it does actually work when trying to hit people with it, so it may be my only option for now.

But I guess the big question is: Is this how everyone else's 1-H thrust looks/works, or is this something only happening in my game?

From my personal experience, that's how everyone's thrust works. it takes a while to get used to, but as I only use 2handed swords, I don't mind the thrust. I'd just request that this be changed in the upcoming patch.

1-H swords are very weak on thrust attacks, can't do anything about it. However if you insist so much on this type of attack I recommend you use spears. They are very effective especially in hitting mounted enemies.

That being said, slash attacks are the best.

I seem to recall xeno moving the vaegirs (who are based off of roman culture) more towards having a thrust oriented sword attack, as the legions would normally have spears and short stabbing swords.

Well, if that's how it is, that's how it is. I just wanted to make sure it was something that had been changed and I wasn't going crazy thinking that I remembered it differently for no reason. I actually much prefer slash and chopping attacks with swords, but the pierce attack sometimes gets used by accident in the heat of battle and it kind of screws me up. Not to mention I had thought there had been a big thing about using your swords to thrust rather than chop/slash (with 1h) in previous additions, because of the fact that the latter two options had little to no effect on heavily armored enemies. But maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. The main problem I have with it in the long run is not that it's not effective, but that it seems to be very difficult to actually connect with, useful or not.

I still don't like the spear animations, not because I can't control or use them, but because they look kind of strange sometimes. I know it was setup to use the best available option, though, so I'm not blaming anyone or asking for them to be changed. It is what it is.

All and all these things aren't that big of a deal. I'll just stick to 2h swords or my general Manhunter's Short Polehammer or an Iron War Axe or something. I just like to make sure my game isn't screwing up when I see something that seems out of place to me. I appreciate the feedback guys.

Yes, in the heat of battle getting an accidental thrust attack can really hurt. That's why I recommend you use swing-only weapons (no thrust attack). My fav 1-H is MSP - Manhunter's Short Polehammer. Very effective vs armor. As for 2-H weaps, I prefer the axes. They are a bit harder to use on horseback but if you get used to them they're great.

Enjoy the mod. It's really great.

Sorry to reopen this thread, but I figured it kind of fell into the same category of "things being changed." I thought I had remembered you being able to see troop movement, in real time, on the map (default: backspace) while you had it open, but it isn't like that in B&S. I went back today to check in native and in that you can indeed see troop movement via the map. So, I'm wondering... is that a change from this mod as well? If so, I'm not sure I understand the purpose of that. I was rather fond of not having to open, close and reopen the map every time I wanted to see how far the enemy had advanced.

Ah, this one I can address. So, xeno originally wanted to have no map whatsoever in the game. The idea was that this was unrealistic, as actual commanders would have to rely on word of mouth, their own eyes, and scout reports to interpret the terrain and the enemy. However, due to popular support for the map, he made a compromise and made it so the map doesn't update. This way, you get more into the tactical experience without having to hunt the entire map to find that 1 stuck enemy.

Back
Top Bottom