Ancestry

Users who are viewing this thread

Contradicting someone above's post, I think it doesn't matter whether you are European or American or whatever to be interested in your heritage. There were many, and large movements of people in Europe as well.

Having said that, I know most of my family withing 3-4 generations is Flemish. Mostly all of them fought in WW1 on the allied side, or fled to France.

One was disowned by his father, whom was of Nobility, he had 3 votes instead of one. His father owned a Bow and Arrow factory, which, at the time was a very popular sport in Flanders, he was disowned, because his mother died, his father remarried, and she wanted the fortune to go with her own children.

He had to change his family name :smile: Fought in WW2, went to prison, went to Canada and came back with a Canadian/Flemish wife.

On the other side, I know I am part Luxembourgian.

As for far ancestry, I don't know anything, although it's pretty clear there's a viking heritage since we have hereditary viking's disease in the family.

Also, my grandfather, who died when I was 4 +-, cooked for every great man in Europe. All the Royalties, Himmler, Hitler Göring, and the whole german gang, all the American & British general-gangs as well, chiefs of state and artists of note, as chief cook.

Lesson? A cook will always survive, war or not.

So to sum up. Belgium, Luxemburg,  Scandinavian, ???

All I know is that my family lived on the border of Germany and Poland which led to mixing the cultures. They were all peasants though...

Every male in my family has served in the armed forces, its expected.

Also my great grandfather owned Jesse james watch, which he sold to a museum . Somebody down the family line knew his family well.

AWdeV said:
Moss said:
Which is a pity, because then I'd be a cancan dancing aristocrat who ran away to join the circus, a treasure hunter, cavalry officer, the guy who started the American gold rush, con-man, drug runner and mass dutch poisoner. Twould be awesome indeed.

Renowned serial killer dutch poisoner, or some trivial poisoner? Killed dozens of folk or gave them the ****s?
No no, not a Dutch poisoner, a poisoner of Dutch. My Great Uncle Max served in the second world war, the Dutch had an interest in the oil fields in the part of pacific theater he served in (what with them owning them and all) and long story short their pressure on the 'Merican's to preserve them resulted in a lot of ANZAC troops dying needlessly. Naturally seeing your friends die over the financial assets of a nation not even contributing to the war effort didn't really endear him and his friends to the Dutch, so when they were working stock room off deployment they may have 'accidentally' spiked the food supplies of a dutch diplomatic ship with laxatives.

He was the quintessential Australian, still hitting on the nurses when he died at the age of 90.

I live in Alaska.

My ancestors are from primarily German/Austrian origins, with a bit of french (mother side) and followed closely by Irish roots, with a touch of scottish and POSSIBLY Swiss. (father side)

My great grandfather on my mother's side was a middle-upper class Austrian born scholar who was going to a university to eventually become a Lutheran minister (as was the history of the family). After studying a great deal on the history of religion he eventually said "screw this ****" (paraphrasing) and became an atheist. He then married a French gypsy princess and ran off to the US after WWI because his family hated him for abandoning his faith and Germany became a squalid mess after their failed first attempt to conquer the world. He spent the rest of his life in rural Michigan and lived relatively poorly.

I **** you not. My great grandmother was the young "nobility" of a group of wandering gypsy folk.

My dad's side was the typical Irish lower class who migrated to the US and parts of Canada during the Potato Famine. They mostly lived around the Michigan area, but there were some that moved southward and some who went into Canada. I had ancestors fighting on both sides of the civil war. I think it was my great-great grandfather who was part of WW1 and was one of the first people to die in the war due to German gas attacks, which the military had no idea of at first.

My Gramps on my mom's side was a pure badass, (though he hated to admit it) He was on the front lines of EVERY single major conflict in the pacific theatre during WWII up until Japan surrendered.  He was training to be a Radio man at Hickam field when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, and was hospitalized for minor wounds.  After that he was a radio man on the frontlines in every major island invasion in the Pacific where I think he earned two bronze stars. Finally he was stationed on Tiniam's airforce base where he observed men signing and loading a peculiarly large bomb onto the bomber Bockscar. Turns out they almost fumbled it while the head guy was screaming "drop that bastard and the whole island will go up!" Turns out he witnessed Fat Man's fated departure to Nagasaki. He was pretty pissed about it because he realized that such a destructive bomb would cause a lot of civilian casualties.

When the war was pretty much over he was discharged due to "Battle Fatigue" and spent the rest of his life trying to put all that **** in the past.

We didn't know very much about his military service because whenever any of us asked he'd just say he was in Motor Pool and didn't see much action. It wasn't until he was on his deathbed that he told the whole story to my mother and uncle. We eventually verified it from historical documents.

Meanwhile my grandkids are going to ask my children "Did that ******* ever do anything else besides stay at home and play video games?"

Part of my family on my mother's side came from Scotland.  A feller named Isaac Walker was a minor nobleman there and fled to Maryland when Prince Charlie lost his bid for the throne of Great Britain.  Another part of the family comes from Ireland.  On my father's side, I assume we are English given our last name, but nobody knows.  My great great grandfather never told anyone where he was from or who his parents were.

I'm a bit Scottish but don't know much about that as my grandma died without telling me or telling my dad very much at all don't think he ever meet his moms parents, the rest is English my other grandma's dad was from Devon and went to India with the British army where he meet my great grandma and had my grandma and then they came back over when India left the Empire,  :cry: and came to Kent. my dads dad came from up north somewhere not sure where but he is a proper northerner I know this side of the family came with the norman invasion as they are on the honour roll from the battle of hastings and they were granted a small holding for a role in the battle in what is nor Staffordshire but that is long gone,  :smile: and my grandad on my other side his parents i don't know much about his mother died when he was very young and he never asked his father much but i believe he said they have almost always lived in Kent.

I just point towards Rams' sig and be done with it.
Not much more to say. I could list the mix once again but I really don't care about it too much.

What my children will say? Hopefully something along the lines of "how the heck did he get that woman?"

I'm from New Jersey, my grandparents on my dad's side of the family immigrated from Sicily back in the mid-20s as young kids. My mom's side of the family is your standard North East US muttly-crew.

I, too, am from New Jersey, but aside from one woman from Hamburg, both sides of my family are of Dutch heritage.  My dad's family came from Utrecht province to New Amsterdam in 1638, my mom's family is from The Hague but were living in Paris until they were expelled from France when the Edict of Nantes was revoked.  They landed in the New World in 1687.

I'm from Murmansk, on my mothers side everyone is either Russian, Ukrainian, Belarussian or German, but I don't know anything about my biological father's side, only that hes from some small crappy country in the south.

*comment that points out that you not knowing your father probably means you're even closer related to your brother than you previously thought or that your mother's a whore*

But I would never post such a thing, would I? No, never.
Besides and just for the record, I know what you meant to write, so don't bother correcting me.

Great-grandfather rode with Lawrence of Arabia.

3521706177_361fc8752a.jpg

Moll, Edwin 1950

Dr. Edwin Moll, ca. 1950.

Dr. Edwin A. Moll was born in Australia in 1892. Emigrating to America to attend Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, he was ordained by the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod in 1914. During World War I he returned to Australia to enlist in the airforce, and served during most of WWI in the Near East, rising to the rank of major. Part of his duties including acting as a liason officer between British forces and their Arab allies led by T.E. Lawrence, known as "Lawrence of Arabia." After the war he returned to the U.S., where he soon transferred to the United Lutheran Church in America and served congregatioins in Wisconsin, California, and Illinois. In 1940 he became secretary for the Board of Foreign Missions. In 1946 he first went to Jersualem to study a proposed transfer of the Syrian orphanage in Palestine to the ULCA. That year he was loaned to the Lutheran World Federation, and served in British Guinana, India, and Liberia, with headquarters in Palestine as director of the Near East Branch of the LWF. He retired in 1957 and died in 1961 in Madison, Wis.

The rest are less remarkable.

My grandmother has traced our family back to around 1600, and as far as I know it's actually quite pure-bred Dane through and through.

But the only (semi) prominent person in my family was a pirate, who was given right to pirate the Swedes and English.

Back
Top Bottom