Advice for a total noob?

Users who are viewing this thread

shostak

Squire
Hey all.

First off, sorry  mods if this is in the wrong place, but as my question concerns vikingr I thought I'd put it here.

Some of you may recognise me as Kolak. I'm nearly totally useless at multiplayer on vikingr, but I love it. I enjoy the roleplay aspect, and the general viking madness. What I'm asking for is any advice you can give, not on fighting in a shield wall; I can do and understand that, but in fighting other people. I realise that this will come in time with practise, but I wondered if there were any tips you could give to a fellow warrior.

Many thanks

Shostak

Playing some native helps. I don't want to tell you to change to native, because the melee combat is totally different there and battle/deathmatch servers wont help, because archers and cav dominate the battlefield there.
But duelservers do help a lot. There you can learn movement, close combat with a sword only and manual blocking which is also important for playing in Vikingr.
Do that for like 10-15 mins whenever you play. :smile:

In Vikingr it is nice to try out different weapons. If you aren't that good at manual block, take always a shield, but don't play with 2handed axes, they arent that easy to handle, especially while fighting someone with an axe or langseax.
Once you can block most attacks, supporting your teammates with an 2handed axe is nice and useful. Also a spear is a weapon you should use, either with a shield or without (there it depends how quick you can block).

Javelins are also quite fun, easy to cause some nice damage and let the enemy be scared. :razz:

Sure, you can also play Archer and cav sometimes, they are both fun classes but you know this mod is concentrated on melee mostly. But playing Archer and cav sometimes helps to understand how to avoid an arrow, a spear thrust or a bump by a horse.

When using a 1 hander and shield:

1) Hold that block until they hit your shield, this stops feints and such killing you. But don't overdo it or they'll just keep attacking before you can get a chance to hit back. If you find yourself being left swing spammed then move to your right and back while looking at the enemy, and then hit them back with an overhead or left swing yourself.

2) A good tactic is to feint or hold an attack(Only a second longer than a normal swing). Double attacking is fairly risky but it's good if you know the enemy uses those two things a lot. Chambering is only something that should be attempted if you are very good at warband, so I won't tell you much about it :razz:

3) In mob fights, you generally want to keep yourself in a space in which you can quickly manueover in. This way, if you see someone with their back to you, just forward and slash them, then you HAVE to block and go on the defensive again, because the enemy will see you being aggresive and try to attack you. I often see people make the mistake of being over aggresive.

4) Pick a 1 hander for the occasion. Swords are good in the first rounds because people all have tunics etc. Then it is generally wiser to buy an axe or mace if you can, due to most people having armour or better shields.

If using a spear however:

1) Medium spears are the best spear for versatility. You can do fairly well in a 1v1 with it and it's still good at poking people as a support weapon. Short spears are for 1v1, and terrible for support really, too short. Long spears are great at supporting, but you cannot block(unless using svia spear from vikingrs)

2) If you're being bogged down by an attacking 1hander and shielder, walk backwards in a straight line so they are walking straight at you. Try to kick them as they come to facehug you, then get a quick thrust in. This will usually make them keep their distance which allows you to hit them with your spear.

2 handers require much more skill to use. I would suggest you stick with the above tactics :grin:

Archers and Cavalry are much more of a support role in this game. Archers should aim to take down the enemy cavalry if they can, but otherwise shoot into open gaps to put pressure on the enemy. Cavalry should try to knock down the enemy infantry but also keep an eye out for a chance to kill the archers.

Oh and save your throwing weapons for after the fight, they generally never get a kill at the start of the fight. Sure you might die and lose the chance but is it really worth throwing a javelin into an enemy shield or worse hitting the ground and giving it to them?

And stick with your team! I cannot stress how it helps to stay with your team.

But don't rage if you get easily killed in the first duel. Especially on nditions are many pros, but it is nice to see some moves of them and quite useful. Better would be Vikingr duel of course, but I think there is no server running duel mode currently. That's the disadvantage of this small, but nice community. :razz:

Dragomir said:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=181571.0

River Pirate's guide to vikingr! Everything a new player should now :wink:

Ah, not QUITE everything unfortunately! :grin:

I think I've seen you play Kolak, I'm glad to hear you want to stick around and get better! Everyone has given you great advice so far, so I'll just stress one or two points that have been covered already.

People will feint, people will hold, and the sooner you learn to associate the shield hit sound with the moment to attack the BETTER. Good players don't expect other good players to fall for feints (when using shield), most often it's to lure them into a pattern and to unexpectedly change it when their opponent feels comfortable. It's important to know that there are no 'turns' in Vikingr, in fact sneaking in a second attack can be lethal if you know what you're doing -- but this relies on understanding whether or not one is in the correct position.

Here are a few tips I learned over many, many months because NOONE bothered to tell me :

• Left to right attack is fastest
  • Right to left attack is slower, but has more reach
  • It is possible to turn 180 degrees with an overhead, which is immensily useful both as mobber and mobbee
  • Stabs, likewise, are precise attacks that allow one to avoid wounding teammates in a crowd, for instance

And one final point : do, do - DO aim for the HEAD!

Bjorn

Chambering is when you attack just as the enemy attacks, so you block their attack with your attack, and this lets you hit them off guard :grin:

b00227783 said:
Chambering is when you attack just as the enemy attacks, so you block their attack with your attack, and this lets you hit them off guard :grin:

not same time, its when you start your attack when enemy releases his swing, so that your weapon upon moving into swing position kind of reflects enemy's weapon.

Lily-Livered River Pirate said:
People will feint, people will hold, and the sooner you learn to associate the shield hit sound with the moment to attack the BETTER.

Yes, this is very important. I often listen to (very good) music during play and it drowns out the sounds of the game, including that of any weapon hitting my shield. Because of this I get tricked by feints MUCH MORE EASILY.

Good you're telling that.

Btw that's a reason why I never listen to music while playing warband (though I am in TS during playing anyway). Can't hear horses, javelins, nor arrows and don't even notice an enemy sneaking behind me. :p

Halvar said:
Mupf aka Miwiw,
you must be Jedi...evading arrows and javs by only hearing it...wow!
That's possible in Warband.  :wink:
At the least when you notice that the impacts are getting closer and you should move/change direction.

I know that problem with music, Éadric. Vikingr kind of demands more immersion with music, though you exchange a better feeling for a worse score.

Join a clan in Native (Would be Vikingr, but i'm not sure if there is any really active nor skilled clans), then you will be decent within a month and you can go back to Vikingr. :p
Kind of hard to give you advice through writing, but really... The fastest way to learn how to play this game is to join a decent skilled clan and just play with them.

What does a clan do? I play this for quite some time, just login and join the game... That's bad? :neutral:

A active clan has trainings and matches.
That gives ****loads of experience.
The clans members will (if they are helpful that is) give you tips on how to improve yer fighting.

Back
Top Bottom