SP Fantasy Advanced Soldier Tree / Commander Mod for Veteran Players

Just for the hell of it: Which of the new factions are you most looking forward to seeing? (see the

• Laertean Empire

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Sphere of Azathoth

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Kingdom of Segimer

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Abydan Empire

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Decimus Peregrinus

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • Kingdom of Asgard

Votes: 47 32.2%
  • Shumisen Empire

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Satyrnian Confederation

Votes: 14 9.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Anyways, 1.010 and 1.011 are the same things, except 1.011 is save compatible with 1.003, that's all. So of course your changes will work.

The one thing I was concerned about was making sure the "I want to give some troops to you" dialog option functioned properly, since according to the fix I read elsewhere on these forums (linked above) there were separate solutions for v. 1.010 and the previous releases. However that fix didn't work for me in 1.011, so I reverted to the old one and it worked fine. Hence my skepticism. Thankfully, it worked.

Enjoy. It's off to work for me.

Any way of installing this through python? I love it, but since I make my own mod for personal enjoyment, I can't install this the normal way...

Looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out.

Johnny Morphine said:
As it's been said, no army in the world can function without foot soldiers.
This is historically incorrect. I know of an army that consisted ONLY of cavalry. Actually, every person had a horse. No footmen. No foot-civilians. Only horses. And his army defeated everyone they saw.

Lumos said:

Johnny Morphine said:
This is historically incorrect. I know of an army that consisted ONLY of cavalry. Actually, every person had a horse. No footmen. No foot-civilians. Only horses. And his army defeated everyone they saw.

Genghis Khan does not count. He's kind of an anomaly to that rule, due to him being something of a god among men. Atilla was close but no cigar, he had a ground influence and was easily defeated by a real military force.

Ruthven said:
No, Attila was defeated by a nosebleed, his successors were what broke.

Yeah and then he got stuck in like a pickle barrel or something...

or was that another guy....

:roll:

SoTAL said:
Any way of installing this through python? I love it, but since I make my own mod for personal enjoyment, I can't install this the normal way...

Based on my limited knowledge of Python, I'm not sure how easy that would be. I didn't bother to learn much about the language itself when I made the mod, since anything for which I would have had to use Python (other than allowing the pistol to be sold in shops) was beyond the core focus of this project. Can anyone else help SoTAL out?

Lumos said:

Johnny Morphine said:

Throughout military history, cavalry (or in this day, tanks or planes) is used to take ground and advance the front, but it takes foot soldiers to hold it and defend it. The Mongols (Genghis Khan) consisted primarily of horse archers (I'm positive this army is what the Khergits are supposed to represent), and horse archers had been recognized by warrior cultures all over the world as being among the most useful units ever to be employed.

A campaign of horse archers, though, is very limiting and difficult to sustain. Horses can't go everywhere (mountains, anyone?), and light cavalry is pitiful defending on its own (got arrows?). As long as you're guaranteed the ability to choose your battlefield, all the time, an all-cavalry army is fine and can actually make this choice easier due to its speed, but in reality getting to choose your field of battle is far from a guarantee. Seeing as NPC armies in M&B have no concept of how to choose a battleground whatsoever the Khergits most absolutely needed some ground troops.

Heh, I suppose you made this with the troop editor then? I was thinking along the lines that you had the source code for it.

Thanks for the reply. :grin:

SoTAL said:
Heh, I suppose you made this with the troop editor then? I was thinking along the lines that you had the source code for it.

Thanks for the reply. :grin:

You're welcome. Originally I intended to learn more about Python just for this mod, til I realized that would be like using calculus to solve an algebra problem. I certainly did use HookieBT's troop editor, which, from my standpoint as an old VBASIC utility programmer, is awesome. I also taught myself how to read the text files in their raw text format for my own convenience, which also gave me the ability to customize troops' faces (which unfortunately the troop editor does not). Also some tweaking of conversations.txt, item_kinds1 and at least one other text file by hand (exactly which one escapes me right now).

It was pretty simple. Most of the work was actually in-game testing, to be sure that I retained the original game's established balance between factions, compromised here and there with what I felt would make for a better playing experience. Most importantly I had to be sure that each unit behaved the way I intended, concerning weapons and armor, variety of equipment, and general combat effectiveness. That was the real chore.

About the cavalry armies:
I wasn't talking about mongols or huns. I was talking about the old Bulgarian army (which actually were a kind of mongolic nomads, now that I think of it...) (I'm speaking for the periond around year 600-700). And yes, the horses will have significant problems in think forests, swamps and mountains. And the Bulgarians got to the Danube and united with the only infantry based Slavonic army. Light infantry could pass without problems through forests, swamps, etc. I remember now that in the battle of Agincourt in 1415 (was it really this one?) (reference) the heavy French knights sank in the mud while the light English infantry slaughtered them without any problems. So yes, the infantry is needed, sooner or later.

Lumos said:
I remember now that in the battle of Agincourt in 1415 (was it really this one?) (reference) the heavy French knights sank in the mud while the light English infantry slaughtered them without any problems. So yes, the infantry is needed, sooner or later.

Most of the French knights fought as infantry in Agincourt, btw.

It's even funnier than that, actually. Historians say that a lot of the knights were killed by Henry's archers, not with arrows, but rather stabbed in the groin. (the groin was a weak spot in the armor)

Henry V's greatest strength shown in that battle was how to choose a battlefield. The French walked right into his trap.

Johnny Morphine said:
It's even funnier than that, actually. Historians say that a lot of the knights were killed by Henry's archers, not with arrows, but rather stabbed in the groin. (the groin was a weak spot in the armor)

Henry V's greatest strength shown in that battle was how to choose a battlefield. The French walked right into his trap.

definately my all time favorite mod, i love you  :grin:

X-Warrior-X said:
definately my all time favorite mod, i love you  :grin:

Damn, thanks mate!

siegecommanderkickingass.gif

(your love makes me want to slaughter Khergits  :lol:)

UnholyNighmare said:
:lol: I knew you were Swadian. I just knew it.
Ha, guilty as charged. At least at the moment. Always liked the adaptability of their soldier tree.

Amman de Stazia said:
this looks really very good.  Just what M&B needs - really challenging enemies.

Thanks.
Lord_killzor said:
How do you get so huge giant soldiers ?:razz:

You're very welcome. And concerning how to get the bigger troops, they'll level up just like your recruits, though it takes a lot more effort. Training can move things along, assuming you're good enough at the skill and have a high enough level to train your top-tier men. But if you haven't got much in the way of training in your party, the quickest way to turn level 25 Swadian Sergeants into a level 30 Field Officers is to throw them into battle, and maneuver them in a strategic fashion such that they're kept alive while killing enough of your enemies to finally level. A combination of both, of course, works best. That's just one of the challenges of this mod.

Welcome as always. Thank you for playing.

Since everyone seems to be liking this mod, I'm going to make a few nice graphic signatures for you to use, if you like (not like the simple one I'm using now that I made with spare parts in ten minutes). Unfortunately to do this I need new screenshots without the soldiers' names floating above their heads, and I've been having trouble getting together with my brother, who actually has a real video card unlike me, to take them.

So since I'm stuck with waiting for at least another day anyway, I want to know if anyone has any favorite new soldiers, items, or great battles from this mod that they'd like featured on their signature. I'm generally good with special requests.

Meanwhile I'm thinking about updates for the future, and taking your suggestions. From what ideas I have already, you may be seeing v. 1.01 of this mod being released in the near future (before Warband blows everything away, hopefully!)

Back
Top Bottom