SP Fantasy Advanced Soldier Tree / Commander Mod for Veteran Players

Just for the hell of it: Which of the new factions are you most looking forward to seeing? (see the

• Laertean Empire

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Sphere of Azathoth

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Kingdom of Segimer

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Abydan Empire

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Decimus Peregrinus

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • Kingdom of Asgard

Votes: 47 32.2%
  • Shumisen Empire

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Satyrnian Confederation

Votes: 14 9.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

How are you with shaders?
Some guys have made flags with 'wind movement' effect shaders - you might be able to use a shader to create the effect of a flail twirling (short chain) and have a really crushing weapon.  Which would just ice the cake....

That's a killer idea. Seriously, I'm going to look into that because morningstars and flails are supposed to, well, flail when you swing them.

It might be a little challenging, since there would probably have to be some sort of trigger involved with animating the new items, but I imagine it could be done.

Thanks for the idea!

*neurons firing*

Very creative troop tree additions indeed.
For people that are not using custom mods,these troops should double maybe triple the fun out of native.
Good work indeed.
For points of improvement,I can suggest you team up with a modeler/texturer and get some special armors/weapons done for troop trees maybe.
Cheers.

~Ãbyss

Thanks for the fine compliments. And I'm way ahead of you on that. I've had a lot modeling/texturing experience in other games and in short films (the best of which was a CG siege cannon for a pseudo-historical documentary, so if it's possible you'll be seeing it in future updates), so right now I'm looking for a good 3d modeler from which I can reliably import models to Mount&Blade. Anybody have any suggestions?

There you have a problem.  The one most of us use is BRFEdit, and it has a number of drawbacks.  I believe kt0 was thinking about hacking into the programming for it to improve it, but couldn't find the motivation...  Might be worth gettign in touch to swap some ideas...

Amman de Stazia said:
There you have a problem.  The one most of us use is BRFEdit, and it has a number of drawbacks.  I believe kt0 was thinking about hacking into the programming for it to improve it, but couldn't find the motivation...  Might be worth gettign in touch to swap some ideas...

I've used BRFEdit to make a lot of the new weapons you're seeing in ASTCM, but the most I could seem to do with it was reproportion and reposition models (such as the Great Morningstar and Siege Picks) so I found it extremely limiting. I couldn't even make it paint on the models, so after a half hour of frustration I gave up on dramatically new items and stuck to my original plan.

I saw some mention of a program called AC3D elsewhere on these forums and it's well within my price range. I wonder if that will work.

skiddledou said:
what was that helmet the swadian field officer was wearing, its like the black helm but silver.

That's the Barbutte. It's actually a model that's buried deep in M&B's BRFs, so when I found it I made it into an item that has just one point less armor than that annoyingly view-obstructive winged great helmet, so players can still have top-of-the-line headwear without looking like a bombastic prick all the time, haha

actual models can be created in (let me think...) 3dmax, wings3d, milkshape....  and some more I forget...

But they need to go through BRFEdit to get into M&B.

ANd BRFedit is needed for adding extra textures/materials.

Yeah, the barbutte is a cool thing.  Doubles as a corinthian helm if your ancient greek comes out to play.

would you mind uploaden that helm, because i hate useing the black helm because the regular plate armor looks much better.

Amman de Stazia said:
actual models can be created in (let me think...) 3dmax, wings3d, milkshape....  and some more I forget...

But they need to go through BRFEdit to get into M&B.

ANd BRFedit is needed for adding extra textures/materials.

Yeah, the barbutte is a cool thing.  Doubles as a corinthian helm if your ancient greek comes out to play.

Yep, it's pretty close to the Corinthian. Not quite as ornate as would really be required, but it's close enough to pass for most people. I thought about making it the standard headwear for the Rhodok Phalanx for that reason, but they didn't look Rhodok enough so I stuck with the kettle hat.

I'll look through those programs to find one that suits my style of modeling (I'm notoriously picky when it comes to things like that) and I'll play with importing into BRFEdit.

Do you know what image format BRFEdit reads offhand? I tried to figure it out but couldn't export textures for external study.

skiddledou said:
would you mind uploaden that helm, because i hate useing the black helm because the regular plate armor looks much better.

You wouldn't actually have to download anything. All you have to do is make the following changes in your item_kinds1.txt. First off, go to the end of the file and add the following:
Code:
 itm_no_item Barbutte Barbutte 1  barbutte 0  65548 0 1108 704643232 2.750000 100 54 0 0 10 0 0 0 0 0 512 512 

Then add 1 to the three digit number at the very top of the file. The Barbutte will then show up in shops.

Or you could just play this mod, heheh  :wink:

texture format is DDS for BRF edit.  WE use a neat little tool called "convim" to convert image files from one format to another, it's freeware.  If you can't find it, I can grub up the www location to download it...

Unless of course, you already have something that edits dds files!!

Found and downloaded. I'll be checking into this shortly. Thank you.

This really helps. With this kind of flexibility it makes it worthwhile to add the new faction I had planned.

meh, im working on my own mod so i wanted to add it to there, thanks
actually instead of adding 1 i ended up with 426 :razz: not 434
for some reason it does not show up in troop editor, it dont got a number next to it in item editor

Amman de Stazia said:
I get a warm fuzzy glow, at having helped an already excellent mod!!

Haha, it's people like you who are gonna prevent me from ever playing all the way through this mod! Time to drop the bardiche and start editing again!

skiddledou said:
meh, im working on my own mod so i wanted to add it to there, thanks
actually instead of adding 1 i ended up with 426 :razz: not 434
for some reason it does not show up in troop editor, it dont got a number next to it in item editor

The number of items in your index should be the value at the top of the file. If it doesn't show up, and since you have the item editor anyway, just bring up the original item_kinds1 and copy the guard helmet. Change the mesh reference to the one I gave you (barbutte), leave all the flags the same and edit the stats on the right to your liking. Save the file, start a new game, teleport around to different towns and you should see it there for sure.

Lorenzo. said:
Can you please write down troop threes? excellent mod btw, thanks.

OK, I want you to know this took me almost 2 hours to do.. heheh. Hope you like my crazy handwriting.

Think this calls for a spoiler!....

swadia.gif

vaegirs.gif

khergits.gif

nords.gif

rhodoks.gif

bandits.gif

manhunters.gif

farmers.gif

mercs-1.gif

Those are all the major ones.

New soldiers are written with red.

Note that all kingdoms have Prison Guards and executioners. Prison Guards are the guys you see in towns and castles guarding the dungeons. Each faction has their own. I just fixed the skill points to make them match and made them playable. All Executioners are the same, and any kingdom can get them.

There are some small trees (shrubs, if you will) that exist outside these major ones. I'll let you enjoy them for yourselves.. gotta leave some surprises for you!!

Time to get some rest before work. Thanks everyone

wow thats one damn long spoiler. great mod btw also could someone give me instructions on how to post screenshots ive got thes awesomely hilarious screens of this weird glitch i got in native when i put lotr weapons in it but i dont know how to post them (the glitch was in Dhirim when i failed at sneaking into town. all the buildings were turned into pink and brwon question marks and the castle was floating

Murmandamus said:
wow thats one damn long spoiler. great mod btw also could someone give me instructions on how to post screenshots ive got thes awesomely hilarious screens of this weird glitch i got in native when i put lotr weapons in it but i dont know how to post them (the glitch was in Dhirim when i failed at sneaking into town. all the buildings were turned into pink and brwon question marks and the castle was floating

Yeah, sorry about the spoiler, haha. Only way I could come close to posting the entire tree!

To post screenshots on here you need to upload them to an image hosting site and then link to them here with the IMG function (or the insert image button above the ludicrously happy smiley face). Pretty easy. My favorite common glitch is in tournaments when horses end up climbing up a vertical wall. Occasionally I find tournament participants impaled on the walls as well. I take screenshots of all of them.

Speaking of screenshots, if anyone happened to take any really good ones from this mod, feel free to post them on this thread. I'd love to see what everyone's done with the new troops.

Heheh. Yep. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to post any troop trees, though when asked I provided.
That's my joke on how everyone seems to loathe forest bandits. In future updates, which'll be a little less joke-ridden and a little more serious, I'll probably change the good ol' Forest ****er's name. Though what more loathsome designation can you give to a pesky bandit who grows up to become a a pretty damn nasty pro-level archer/horse archer?
On the Mountain Bandit side, Mountain Lightning is also a huge joke, seeing as Mountain Lightning in the United States is a generic ripoff of Mountain Dew that Wal Mart sells.
Play through the mod and experiment with upgrading different troops, and explore through a few of the towns and you'll find a few more easter eggs that I didn't mention on that handwritten troop tree.

ff.jpg

This screenshot is just too perfect for this post. See, they can fight!

Back
Top Bottom