Adding benefits to attribute points

Users who are viewing this thread

Totalgarbage

Sergeant Knight
First off, I'm don't know if this is something the players want in the first place, so tell me if you don't. I think that attribute points should give some benefits and that we should be able to change our starting base 2 attribute points in each attribute during character creation (by being able to lower an attribute to 0 or 1 and allocating newly freed points somewhere else). I believe that giving attribute benefits will ever so slightly improve the RPGness of the game. My suggestions for attribute benefits are:

- Vigor: +2% attack speed with melee weapons per attribute (max 20%)
- Control: +2% or 2,5% accuracy per attribute (could also be changed with drawing speed)
- Endurance: +2 health per attribute (could also be changed with 2% movement speed per attribute but would also have to apply to horses)
- Cunning: +3 prisoner size per attribute
- Social: +2 party size per attribute
- Intelligence: +2% skill exp gain per attribute

I purposefully didn't make the bonuses OP, the actual OPness would come from being able to min/max attribute points at the beginning of the game.

This is such a no-brainer that it boggles the mind that TW didn't think to make the attributes mean anything at all besides affect your learning limit. I mean we can argue about the specific effects and percentages, but there should be some kind of interesting effect or they're just a waste of code.

Of course, if Talewords hasn't fixed this by now, its never getting fixed.

I wish I had your positivity, but the game's due for final release in a few weeks, and its taken them two and a half years to add banners into a game named after banners, so I'm not very optimistic.

Although seriously, while there are SO MANY things that TW could and should've done better with the game and do deserve to be criticized, it's a miracle they managed to make how Bannerlord is today with Turkey's ****ty economy and unstable inflation. The currency lost 60% of its value since 2020 and the YoY inflation is around 150%, possibly more.

Last edited:
Although seriously, while there are SO MANY things that TW could and should've done better with the game and do deserve to be criticized, It's a miracle they managed to make what Bannerlord is today with Turkey's ****ty economy and unstable inflation. The currency lost 60% of its value since 2020 and the YoY inflation is around 150%, possibly
True. Its easy to forget that what they've created is a massive achievement on its own merits. But that's part of why its so frustrating. The flaws in the game don't seem like they're caused by any lack of talent or skill, but more down to weird design decisions. Like they could've designed the game mechanics in any number of ways that felt more engaging and rewarding and fit into players' expectations of how things ought to work, but again and again they've chosen the most bizarre option. I feel like they have plenty of talented programmers and artists, but what they really seem to be lacking is a true game director who can tie everything together into a cohesive game.

Also, I don't know how much the Turkish economy hurts them since they're making most of their money in dollars and euros so they should be at least partially shielded from the local economic troubles. The pandemic had to hurt since the lockdowns came just as they should've been kicking it into high gear so I'm sure that slowed progress down quite a bit.

Yes exactly, the game is honestly good but god damn is the decision making infuriating most of the time. It took 2 ****ing years for armors to finally be useful and its mostly useful against melee, not so much against ranged.

You're right that doing business with Euros and USD shields them from the economic ****storm partially (and is partially the reason that the country still stands), but I would guess that the economic volatility caused many of their experienced workforce to either immigrate or switch to higher paying jobs. For example, I would guess that the glacial update speed and new major bugs replacing fixed ones is caused directly by having to hire inexperienced grads or interns that need to learn the engine from scratch every 6 months. The pandemic, higher energy and hardware prices and volatility probably didn't help either. It seems that update intervals slowing down after the largest crash of the currency is not coincidental.

I would like for Attributes to have an effect, somewhat more attributes and for skill learning to not be tied to attributes. This would allowed a two fold approach to character building, you have fp that governs skill caps and rates and Attributes that governs other abilities of you character, maybe even equipment requirements or other stuff too.

I made a long post a long time ago about everything wrong with character system and a few of the things have gotten fixed. But I still think it's redundant and overly restrictive to have 2 different points doing the same things.

I grumble when people say "build" on this game because to me there are no builds, only a handful of useful perks and wanting to have a bigger handful of them. If you ignore some to focus on another skill with less goodies you do not end up with a different type of "build" you just have less good perks and more useless ones. Anything called a build should be doing something specials that other character can't, not just doing less and the same.

I would support such an attachment of actual benefits to attribute point.

It's a bit embarrassing, but for quite a long time I thought that attribute points would really improve abilities of the actors and tried to distribute them accordingly, before I realized that it's just speed and reach of learning, a sad moment. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom