About foreign languages and the public server chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Harkon Haakonson

I am woman, hear me roar!
Marquis
Hi Vikingr community,

Having just read the thread where the russian guy got banned, I just wanted to point out that it's not very polite to join a server and speak any other language other than english if the server doesn't CLEARLY state in the joining message that X language is allowed.
I always saw this as common sense, I never, ever joined an apparently international server and approached the public chat with portuguese text even when my english was barely decent.

If you had the capability of downloading this mod, your comprehension of the english language must be okay and chances are your english is at least understandable, so don't be afraid of typing with bad grammar and some typos, at least you're trying and probably doing a better job at it than native english people saying even "hello" in your language. :smile:
My main point is, asking the odd question in your own language when you first join on how to do something you really can't put to words in english is fine and some people do it at one point. Just try to avoid having continuous conversations in your language in the public chat. A few reasons for this are :
- Most people can't understand it.
- It's rude to speak a language most people don't understand in public, considering it's an international server.
- How do we know you're not trolling/trash talking people?
- It's awkward for everyone else really, to be having a conversation and coming across a random language, and to an extent breaks the immersion of the game.

This is why people are banned. Don't take it personally, just think about it for a few seconds. Would you really enjoy your favorite gaming server to be flooded with all sorts of foreign languages?
I personally rather go through the trouble of speaking an universal language (english) so everybody understands each other and can have fun not only in the actual game but also interacting in chat and not feel overwhelmed and confused by text that barely anyone understands.

With love :grin:,

Harkon

HarkonHakoon said:
If you had the capability of downloading this mod, your comprehension of the english language must be okay and chances are your english is at least understandable, so don't be afraid of typing with bad grammar and some typos, at least you're trying and probably doing a better job at it than native english people saying even "hello" in your language.

Im sure some of them have betetr english grammer than alot of us, take me for example. :razz:

Heed the words of the portuguese viking. He put it in very diplomatic terms and it would be nice if everyone would stick to English on the Vikingr-servers. No offense, but the cyrillic letters are especially clogging up the chat.  :wink:

Hengist said:
Heed the words of the portuguese viking. He put it in very diplomatic terms and it would be nice if everyone would stick to English on the Vikingr-servers. No offense, but the cyrillic letters are especially clogging up the chat.  :wink:
:mrgreen:

I'll be the first person to admit that I occasionally write stuff in swedish, but if it's really bothering people I won't have a problem with not doing it.
I've seen alot of people continuing to write in their devilish language even after being told not to though.
S

HarkonHakoon said:
My own clan trolling MY thread made with the purpose of avoiding future chat related issues in OUR server.  :cry:

On a serious note, I think it should be added to server rules that English is the official language.

Playing on German BFBC2 servers, I have noticed several that regularly display a banner stating that only English and German is allowed as you load into a map.

Back on topic, Titan lives on a boat and thus his opinion is disregarded.

Back
Top Bottom