AAR - The Hand of God

Users who are viewing this thread

Apologies again for the lack of updates, as I've been working on a new mod for another wonderful Paradox game, Europa Universalis III, which I hope will be out shortly. Thanks for the encouragement! Really keeps me going!

PatCronz said:
Apologies again for the lack of updates, as I've been working on a new mod for another wonderful Paradox game, Europa Universalis III, which I hope will be out shortly. Thanks for the encouragement! Really keeps me going!

So, you're playing EU3 as well... Nice, u have an arr?

Bruce  Almighty said:
PatCronz said:

So, you're playing EU3 as well... Nice, u have an arr?

No, just working hard to put together this alternate history mod. I love EU3 but I don't think I could really do an AAR for it.

Apologies again. Be assured that this AAR is not dead by any stretch, I consider story elements for it daily, just working on this other project.

Not dead. Just really haven't had a chance to play Mount and Blade that often. Also, for awhile I was without Photoshop, which rendered a lot of my screenshot capturing time consuming and annoying.

Not to worry. With luck I'll publish some more soon. Just wish I could get the story rolling towards what I'd like quicker, but I guess the journey might end up being as rewarding as the ending.

Bruce  Almighty said:
Well then, I can't wait for the new chapter...
It's been quite a lot time you last updated your aar.

I just need to try and wrap my head around it. It's hard to get enthused about it when, during play, I have to stop any take screens every three seconds! :razz:

You dont have to make them every three seconds, at least I do make them every two minutes... It does helps you a lot when you write a new chapter after all.

Bruce  Almighty said:
You dont have to make them every three seconds, at least I do make them every two minutes... It does helps you a lot when you write a new chapter after all.

It wouldn't be a problem, save M&B runs awful on my desktop and I used to have a laptop in a dock - I'm waiting to get my keyboard, mouse, et cetera, back, so I can start doing this again.

I have grander story elements down the road. As I said, sometimes it's a little hard to get enthused, since the best that is yet to come is still somewhat far! :razz:

3.4. - A Push?

With the resounding victory over the Khergit Khanate at Ahmerrad, many within the Sarranid Sultanate, both in the ranks of the military nobility but also among the people, called for a push back at the Khergits that could perhaps enrich the dominion and win the war. Cronis was no different; still tired of loss, he sought to push on with the victory at Ahmerrad and perhaps push west, towards Narra. However, no initial order came from above, so Cronis began to instead patrol the countryside and recruit more soldiers for the cause. Entering Tamnuh at night, the town at first received him unenthusiastically. Failing to even find the village elder, Cronis took a ladder to a local home and stood atop it, calling out to the people of the town.

He began to tout the victory at Ahmerrad, the strength of the Sarranid people, and the atrocities he had witnessed at neighboring villages by the Khergit. The people began to gather, and by the end, they committed what little they had to the war. While the town had been heavily recruited from and taxed, they gave Cronis all they had to give - six boys who had just reached farming age. He left the town, graciously thanking them for this contribution. Rumors spread of this foreign noble who made himself "taller than life" to inspire the peasantry. Most loved it, while some of the nobility dismissed it. After resupplying in Durquba, word came down - Narra was under siege, by largely the same force that had defended Ahmerrad. Cronis made for Narra at once, and met with the siege commander - Quadi-consensio Mundhalir, the same commander who had lead the troops at Ahmerrad.

The Marshall reassured the Urcean Noble - the defenders of Narra numbered at about three or so hundred, while the Sarranid force numbered more than seven hundred. Cronis felt reassured - Ahmerrad and now Narra could potentially cement his status within the Sultanate, even leading to joining the nobility. He assured the Marshall that his forces would be "the first the to the wall and the first over". The besieging forces lay in wait, and no aid for the city came - no reinforcements dared pass the siege camp. The siege soon began.

Benedictus stood before the double layered wall at Narra, when it all became real for him. No longer was he a comfortable noble - he had staked his fortunes and his life in a foreign land. Before him, young men of the Sultanate fought to get to the second wall, avoiding the deadly arrows of the Khergit archers above. Cronis and his men became inspired as they saw Sultan Hakim himself lead the charge over the wall. While the Sultan and some of his cohort were eventually wounded and needed to be carried off to the side, the fight continued as the Marshall lead the forces into battle with Cronis.

Charging up the wall with the Marshall, Benedictus avoided the "bloodlust" he had entered at Ahmerrad, instead fighting valiantly and consciously, putting many Khergit soldiers to the sword as Sarranid forces established a foothold within the walls. While descending the stairs, Cronis fell, but this managed to end in his favor - he flanked the raw reserve Khergit forces, allowing him to gain allied forces an upper hand,  and he did just that. Covered in blood and weakened, Cronis retreated to the top of the wall and viewed below as Sarranid troops cut down Khergit peasant soldiers like chaff of wheat. He saw the last remaining forces scatter into the streets, and saw Sarranid troops celebrating. All in all, his personal forces had only lost one man, for which he was thankful. After the battle, he approached Sultan Hakim, who was leaving for other matters...

Not only did Hakim thank Cronis personally by giving him various arms and armor for him and his company, as well as access to recruit the prisoners freed from Narra, but he was also willing to hear Benedictus's requests. Cronis had the opportunity now to ask to swear his sword in fealty to the Sultan, and he asked just that. The Sultan considered it; while Cronis was a foreigner, he was both a steady sword and a competent commander. He said the words to Cronis, which he repeated firmly; "I swear homage to you as lawful ruler of the Sarranid Sultanate. I will remain your loyal and devoted man so long as my breath remains, and I will be at your side should you need my sword against your enemies. Finally, I will uphold your claims and those of your lawful heirs". With that, Cronis took a knee to the Sultan in his tent outside Narra, and the Sultan conferred upon him titles of nobility and the fief of Mawiti, a village outside Ahmerrad.

After becoming lord of Mawiti, Cronis fitted himself and his companions in their new equipment, given by the Sultan. Ymira, who viewed Cronis now as a father figure and valiantly fought along side him at Narra, had been named by Cronis as the Thane of his domains.  No sooner had they adjusted to their new situation did news come from the Sultan himself.

The Rhodoks had declared war on the Sultanate.

I'm sorry but it does not make sense  :eek: . You created your AAR with ( unnecessary ) religion elements and then made him to join a Sultanate ( figuratively the greatest enemies of Christianity in the Middle age).  :roll:

If you already started with Christian elements, then you should follow your story in that way.

Thane_of_Dhirim said:
I'm sorry but it does not make sense  :eek: . You created your AAR with ( unnecessary ) religion elements and then made him to join a Sultanate ( figuratively the greatest enemies of Christianity in the Middle age).  :roll:

If you already started with Christian elements, then you should follow your story in that way.

The religious elements are more of a portent for later elements. While I had considered that the Sultanate could perhaps be non-Christian, I decided it wouldn't be too much of an issue, considering that religion partisanship seems to be non-existent, and lines are more political than religious, akin to what developed in Europe in the 17th century. Cronis isn't necessarily trying to advance Christianity, but rather simply meet his destiny, which he doesn't yet understand. The Christian elements are entirely personal and immaterial to the world around him - it's never even explicitly stated what the faith of the Calradians is, though for the purposes of this I assumed that they are secularist Christians of some kind, save the Sultanate.

Yes, but Christians didn't respected the other religions during the Middle ages ( especially during that time - Crusader wars)...
They were trying to exterminate or baptize pagans ( and opposite), so Cronis is presented as a betrayer of Christ in your AAR.  :neutral:

If you already decided to join to Sultanate, then you should to edit your previous chapters . ( Leave the element of religion if neccesary, but don't state of which religion particularly is Cronis ). :smile: 

Thane_of_Dhirim said:
Yes, but Christians didn't respected the other religions during the Middle ages ( especially during that time - Crusader wars)...
They were trying to exterminate or baptize pagans ( and opposite), so Cronis is presented as a betrayer of Christ in your AAR.  :neutral:

If you already decided to join to Sultanate, then you should to edit your previous chapters . ( Leave the element of religion if neccesary, but don't state of which religion particularly is Cronis ). :smile:

Again assuming that Christian/Islamic antagonism doesn't exist or is subdued in Calradia (very possible, considering that other lords regularly join and leave the Sultanate depending upon how the other factions do), it's likely that Cronis's reputation wouldn't be damaged by associating with Sultan Hakim. Remember - while your proposition might be true in 1257 A.D. Europe, this is Calradia. Religious antagonism seems minimized at best, and Cronis (aside from his banner of a foreign Saint), has made very little statement regarding his faith. Additionally, the Sultanate forms alliances with other states, which also lends to the idea that there isn't too much religious friction.

PatCronz said:
Again assuming that Christian/Islamic antagonism doesn't exist or is subdued in Calradia (very possible, considering that other lords regularly join and leave the Sultanate depending upon how the other factions do), it's likely that Cronis's reputation wouldn't be damaged by associating with Sultan Hakim. Remember - while your proposition might be true in 1257 A.D. Europe, this is Calradia. Religious antagonism seems minimized at best, and Cronis (aside from his banner of a foreign Saint), has made very little statement regarding his faith. Additionally, the Sultanate forms alliances with other states, which also lends to the idea that there isn't too much religious friction.

You don't get it, don't you?!
First of all, I didn't said that Christian/Islamic antagonism exist in Calradia ( it is not even stated of which religion they are)...
But I want to say that you make of your main character a Christian ( and in that period of 1257 AD, he should hate all other religions, not joining some sort-of-Islamists as their vassal)...  :neutral:
So you made a mistake! Maybe Cronis's reputation wouldn't be damaged by associating with Sultan Hakim in story, but it would be in the eyes of the readers.
So just delete the mention of Christianity in your AAr, but leave ( if neccesary) the idea of God. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom