A good build

Users who are viewing this thread

So I wanna start a new charcter, he will be a 2h xbower on foot, any good build for him? I will probably only use companions in the army for a long time...

Well, my personal favorite start for any new character is this:
- 'rough and mysterious figure' -> 'left you to fend for yourself' -> 'became a bard' -> 'a series of unfortunate events'

This will net you 9 in Looting and 6 in Trading right at the start. This is a very strong boost for the early phase of the game, as you'll be able to loot decent equipment for you and your companions, and sell the rest for hefty sums. And you'll start with 3 in Power Throw, which will be a blessing in tournaments with throwing weapons, without the need to invest in throwing. Another good thing about this setup is that you'll get one of the highest rumor value possible. This means that you'll get a bigger chance for unique spawns and events to spawn/happen. Also, if I remember correctly (I don't have a computer in front of me atm), you'll get a winged mace to inmediately be able to start knocking out people and make some prisoners as a result. Also a good way to get some money early on.

Since you want to be a 2-handed crossbowman on foot (this can be considered as a 'Mettenheim-style' playthrough I guess), this settles your combat skill investment. Concentrate on Ironflesh, Power Strike, Weapon Master and Athletics. Imo you could still ride some **** horses just for the time you travel on the world map, because that increases your party speed considerably. And dismount at the start of battles of course.  Having 3-6 pack horses in your inventory would also help you negate the speed penalty on the map due to the various loot and items you'll carry.

You'll probably want to eventually max Looting, Trainer, Persuasion, Leadership and Prisoner Management skills, and aim for as much party skills on your character as possible. The most important in my opinion are Surgery (soldiers rarely die) , Pathfinding (catch enemies even when your party is bigger) and Engineering (instant building siege ladders). Wound Treatment and First on your character is the second next important. However Tactics, Spotting and Tracking can be ignored, and companions can handle those. Trade skill is your call. Since you'll start with 6, it won't be hard to max.

Eventually grab yourself a good 2-hander and a crossbow. I suggest to aim for a Sapphire two-handed sword and a Mettenheim Arbalest in the end as your main weapons. You could go for a Ruby two-handed sword as well, but on foot, speed (=Sapphire) is much more important imo, as you can stay alive longer if you are the one who lands the first blow against all enemies (since you'll be dueling a lot). Also, it's much easier to just spam attacks, without the need to block for the most part. You'll be able to one-shot most common enemies with a Sapphire 2-hander too, in which case, the Ruby version would be an overkill.

Considering stats, if you don't mind to start the game with a little grinding and choosing your opponents very carefully, then you can aim to max INT for the maximum amount of skill points possible. If you'll only put stat points in the other 3 stats until you reach 11 STR, 11 AGI and 8 CHA, and then put every other stat into INT, then you can reach the 63  INT cap by lvl 47 (with achievements and the corresponding book included). With all the achievements taken into account, your charisma will match your strength and agility eventually. For increasing STR, AGI and CHA, always drink Elixirs of Arkon for Qualis Gems. But I advise you to delay those for as late as possible whenever you can get on with given stats. Simply because it is easy to get weapon profs early on, and later, when it will be harder and harder, then elixirs can come for gaining profs efficiently in the long run.

Thanks alot (:

Aye I will use that start, though about the stats, I think I will get like 15/18 in str and agility then all the rest in Int, just so I could have some punching power, thanks alot !

Btw, for those potions I need qualis gems... I know only of 1 that I can get easily...

E: You dont start with 6 trading with this build tho Oo

daniisme said:
Thanks alot (:

Aye I will use that start, though about the stats, I think I will get like 15/18 in str and agility then all the rest in Int, just so I could have some punching power, thanks alot !

Btw, for those potions I need qualis gems... I know only of 1 that I can get easily...

E: You dont start with 6 trading with this build tho Oo
My bad, I didn't had a computer in front of me when I wrote that, and in the end, I mixed up that part (the 6 in Trading) with another character creation setup that I chose a few times as well. 9 looting and 6 trading can be achieved by this:
- 'rough and mysterious figure' -> 'left you to fend for yourself' -> 'self-employed merchant' -> 'too many enemies that seek to end your life'

This is the option with which you get a Winged Mace at the start (not the previous one), my bad :facepalm: This option also provides one of the highest rumor value, and you'll get some starting money too. And 'background enemies' and 'assassins' will come after you without the need to look for some enemies to fight with :razz:

P.S.: I strongly recommend you to have a look at the 'Character creation' section in the Wikia of PoP that @Ralyks sent you a link about :smile: Just to have a clearer view of the different options. Other than that, be the character that you want to be, that's all. In Prophesy of Pendor, all kinds of characters can become equally strong in the end...

Dodge them, they make the mod way easier than what it should be :smile:

Gorvex already said one.

Take what ever role you wanna play as, as a melee footman? As a archer in horseback? As a pikemen with xbow? Your choice!

I'd suggest the polehammer as weapon.
It is slow, has decent damage, blunt, high range and it#s a polearm (horse stopping power).
I just love slamming the thing into someone's face - it is gonna be more challenging then the typical rune-sword thing.
That's kinda the point of it :grin:

Smashing skulls with a blunt weapon is pretty satisfiying.
Different from the swords 99% of the people seem to use.

Having 3-6 pack horses in your inventory would also help you negate the speed penalty on the map due to the various loot and items you'll carry.

I have read somewhere that having more than 3 horses in your inventory causes each new horse to slow you down more than it speeds you up (diminishing returns), IIRC. It would be worth not clogging you inventory with more than 3 horses until this can be confirmed (because it may have been old information that is no longer correct), however 3 more slots can mean a lot of money not being thrown out at loot screen.

Enrak said:
Having 3-6 pack horses in your inventory would also help you negate the speed penalty on the map due to the various loot and items you'll carry.

I have read somewhere that having more than 3 horses in your inventory causes each new horse to slow you down more than it speeds you up (diminishing returns), IIRC. It would be worth not clogging you inventory with more than 3 horses until this can be confirmed (because it may have been old information that is no longer correct), however 3 more slots can mean a lot of money not being thrown out at loot screen.
It depends on the composition of items in your inventory (and how big your inventory is eventually). If you carry around a small amount of light-weight food and the rest of the stuff is all loot, then yes, more than 3 horses is excessive for the most part, and would just slow you down. But for instance, if you are feeding a huge army (500+), and a good portion of your inventory consists of baggage trains (36.0 weight each), bread and grain (30.0 weight each), then you might find that having 6 horses grants the highest moving speed penalty reduction. Going further, if you are trading, have a relatively big inventory, and your inventory is mostly full with really heavy stuff like tools, iron, salt or oil (50.0+ weight each), then you might even need 9 horses in total to get the highest moving speed on the map.

Apart from this, here is a quote from the PoP Wikia on the matter (http://pop3.wikia.com/wiki/Party_Speed):
The ideal number of horses to have changes depending on how much weight is being carried; the more weight, the more horses. The speed improvement tends to increase rapidly at low numbers and significantly slow down toward the peak, so it is not necessary to get as close as possible to the ideal number of horses. Here are a few examples however, of how many horses is the best amount depending on inventory weight[1]:

Weight Horses
<10 1
150 3
300 5
500 9
1000 13

[1]Which is based on @Sicnarf's tests found here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,46362.0.html

So there you have it!

Thanks for clearing that up Gorvex. This should help a lot of people out.

OP: Also bear in mind when making your new character that you will have a slow reload, low maneuverability, and a fixed ranged damage (based on quality of xbow and bolts). While I recommend using a starting build already mentioned, your first few levels and extra points will do well to be in things that counteract this, such as; athletics, ironflesh, and as already stated - trade, inventory management, looting (to make additional income since you will most likely be purchasing most of your equipment). JMO though.

Draenor said:
I'd suggest the polehammer as weapon.
It is slow, has decent damage, blunt, high range and it#s a polearm (horse stopping power).
I just love slamming the thing into someone's face - it is gonna be more challenging then the typical rune-sword thing.
That's kinda the point of it :grin:

Smashing skulls with a blunt weapon is pretty satisfiying.
Different from the swords 99% of the people seem to use.
Its an excellent weapon indeed. Even more the aI is quite competent using it.

Back
Top Bottom