50 hours in : my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Mppqlmd

Regular
Hello there.
I purchased the game day one, and thanks to good old coronavirus i've done pretty much nothing else in the past few days, so here are what i think about the game :

The skill system

I think the skill system is actually quite nice, because it allows you to focus your character while being a natural leveling system (à la skyrim). The issue is, what levels the skills make NO SENSE at all.

- Charm is impossible to level, except if you actively try to piss off your compagnons to comfort them latter. Releasing lords should not be needed to gain up charm. Succeeding in skillchecks SHOULD absolutely raise it, if you consider that when you do a diplomatic resolution you pretty much gain NOTHING in terms of skill progression.
- Leadership is impossible to level up. You should not need to become a realm marshal guiding 500 troops to gain a few XP. Leveling your troops should absolutely give you leadership xp.
- Roguery levels up with selling prisonners, but only when you "choose what prisonner to sell". Why ? This is probably a bug. Also, roguery gives you bonuses for pillaging, but you gain no roguery XP when pillaging ? Why ?

Other skill issue :
- There are 2 skills named "Merry men" that have NOTHING in common (in roguery and in bow). That's very confusing.

The political system :
- Kingdom modifiers that drain influence are WAYYYY to heavy, and being a part of this kind of realm is game end, as it becomes pretty much a chore to even gain the right to vote on minor issues : everyone will start to hate you, and you snowball into being the kingdom's black sheep.
- Vassals shouldn't hate you for abstaining if you don't have the influence to vote. They literally become mad at you for being insignificant, that's hilarious and sad at the same time.
- The kingdom snowballing issue, that has been brought up so much i won't expand on it. I think it's mostly due to the fact that sieges are A LOT easier thanks to this amazing thing called siege engines. In WB you had to have an army vastly superior to the garrison to even think about attacking. Here, you just need to be marginally superior, because battering rams even up the field sooo much.
- I didn't see any way to turn vassals against the liege ? Maybe i haven't looked enough, but i don't think it's there ?

The quests :
- Some quests don't indicate important NPC (like the sheep delivering quest, the recipient is not marked like it should be, with the quest icon)
- Same issue, when i get the info about brigand lairs containing important artifacts (spoilers) they should be marked as such, and i shouldn't have to clear ALL the hideouts on the map while trying to remember which one is the good one.

Miscellanous :
- When i adress my cavalry, my character always shouts "infantry" which makes him look extra dumb.

Troops and balance :
- Battanians are OP. Period. They have the most easily accessible cavalry (both heavy and throwers), excellent infantry that function both as throwers and heavy, and the best archers in the game. There is no drawback to this faction, you can steamroll the entire game with only batt troops. Even the empire isn't on this level (because they struggle to access heavy cavalry, and because their archers are nowhere near as good).
- Forest bandits. Let's face it, a hideout with 20 forest bandits is a nightmare to fight when you can only take a handful of troops, ON FOOT, that will get instagibbed.
- Aserai have nothing going for them atm. The starting perk is nice, but their troops are atrocious, and they get outclassed in every field by everyone (and get erased from map in every game).

That being said though, i really love this game, and i hope you'll adress his problems to make it even better. Cheers.

Thanks for the awesome post! I'm 34 hours in and find much the same. But this game is amazing. I just wish leveling were a bit easier so I could feel OP :smile:

Leveling up on smithing is long hard grind. I spent all of my money on smithing but all I got is 21 smithing skill level. Smithing system should be re-balanced. Same about parts of swords from smithing, they are hell hard to unlock by this way.

I pretty much don't bother with actual smithing early game, i only smelt everything i can (iron bars sell so good you're actually gaining money from this), and the leveling goes up nicely, even though a bit slow.

I pretty much don't bother with actual smithing early game, i only smelt everything i can (iron bars sell so good you're actually gaining money from this), and the leveling goes up nicely, even though a bit slow.
I haven't touched smithing whatsoever. Honestly the best way to make money to me is to just capture lords and their entire retinue and sell for random. Rinse and repeat. It gets stupid good money after a while. You sell all their men, and all their equipment you looted. I've built up 1.74 mill in one game just by doing that.

I agree with these points. I am 27 hours into the game and really enjoy it despite the issues.

They must fix the leadership and riding skills, they’re too slow to level :sad: I want to pay less wages for my troops in the early game as was the case for Warband.

Some elements of the game not working properly :

- The caravan cost reduction from the Aserai background does not work

- The skill that gives you +1 influence when you're vassal does not work

Other HUGE bug that allowed me to sell my prisonners in a loop, infinite money and roguery exp for me.

That's kinda hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom