SP Antiquity Dark Ages 485AD Darkness Rising

Users who are viewing this thread

Gothic Knight said:
dexm said:
I have a suggestion for a quest
I presume you all know romulus agustulus the (He's was tought to be a usurper) last roman emperor of the WRE
The quest is to give him his crown back becouse around 485 he should be alive
I think he lived in Canpania round this time.
Who would support him? I don't think the quest would make much historical sense, since Romulus Augustulus's claim wasn't that solid in the first place.

True and it is a shame that Julius Nepos is dead by 485 because he would be the more logical/legitimate choice for a Roman revolt. But the Romulus thing shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. You might have found some disgruntled Roman notables willing to rally around even an illegitimate claimant. You also have to figure that this is a game and for some players it might be all about re-writing history within the game to suit their fancy and not playing things out as they likely would have happened or else...what's the point?

All those lords the player can convince would support him.  :razz:
If it makes sense or not historically wise doesn't matter too much. It's still a game and the feature to support a pretender isn't disabled. I admit I don't know enough to create a more realistic scenario so right know if you may meet Arwa and if you talk to her she is gonna say this:
"I am Arwa, the mother of Dominus Noster Romulus Augustus Pius Felix Augustus the rightful Emperor of the West Roman Empire."
It's actually a feature I didn't spend time on so everything may change, especially names.

If one doesn't like this feature (like me i.e. ) nobody forces him to support a pretender. A similar problem about historical correctness raises right after you clicked to start a new game when you have to chose if you want to be male or female.
If this makes sense or not I don't care enough. I was bored and sexist enough though to let them run around naked if you want. 
The one or the other might be disappointed and I am really sorry, women only so far.  :wink:

Well, to get back on topic. If you know anything about possible pretenders of that time I am actually highly interested!

Ritter Dummbatz said:
All those lords the player can convince would support him.  :razz:
If it makes sense or not historically wise doesn't matter too much. It's still a game and the feature to support a pretender isn't disabled. I admit I don't know enough to create a more realistic scenario so right know if you may meet Arwa and if you talk to her she is gonna say this:
"I am Arwa, the mother of Dominus Noster Romulus Augustus Pius Felix Augustus the rightful Emperor of the West Roman Empire."
It's actually a feature I didn't spend time on so everything may change, especially names.

If one doesn't like this feature (like me i.e. ) nobody forces him to support a pretender. A similar problem about historical correctness raises right after you clicked to start a new game when you have to chose if you want to be male or female.
If this makes sense or not I don't care enough. I was bored and sexist enough though to let them run around naked if you want. 
The one or the other might be disappointed and I am really sorry, women only so far.  :wink:

Well, to get back on topic. If you know anything about possible pretenders of that time I am actually highly interested!
How about Theodoric, even though it's a bit premature? I think I've read on the dude and Theodoric was ironically, less barbaric than some Romans were.

Wait, which Theodoric are you refering to?

Theodoric, the great is already in charge. The other one I found a reference for died in 481AD and the third one is the son of Clovis who was born in 485AD. Can you ease my search and give a link?

Ritter Dummbatz said:
Wait, which Theodoric are you refering to?

Theodoric, the great is already in charge. The other one I found a reference for died in 481AD and the third one is the son of Clovis who was born in 485AD. Can you ease my search and give a link?
Theodoric the Great. I don't know which date he is supposed to be in charge, but I think he isn't yet. I'll have to check on it when I actually have a reliable source.

Well, it's Wiki so one may doubt this but I don't expect an inaccuracy. 14 years would be a lot. :smile:

"...was king of the Ostrogoths (471 – 526),"

Ritter Dummbatz said:
Well, it's Wiki so one may doubt this but I don't expect an inaccuracy. 14 years would be a lot. :smile:

"...was king of the Ostrogoths (471 – 526),"
No, Rex of Italy, not king of the Ostrogoths. I don't remember any other titles he had but the East Empire liked him and conferred onto him another title.

Well, I see your point and I will wait for further information that you might give but King of the Ostrogoths still makes sense to me. Especially if he is still in Pannonia. When he took over in 489 he is of course Rex Italiae (...as well?)
You know that already that he was talked into taking over Italy by the east romans, from what I've read one of the reasons was because Odoaker took over Dalmatia in 81.

Anyway. I am thankful for any further details upon him although it won't change much in the game. Even if he takes over Italy in the game, right now he gains no additional titles. Might be a nice addition to play around with titles though.

Ritter Dummbatz said:
Well, I see your point and I will wait for further information that you might give but King of the Ostrogoths still makes sense to me. Especially if he is still in Pannonia. When he took over in 489 he is of course Rex Italiae (...as well?)
You know that already that he was talked into taking over Italy by the east romans, from what I've read one of the reasons was because Odoaker took over Dalmatia in 81.

Anyway. I am thankful for any further details upon him although it won't change much in the game. Even if he takes over Italy in the game, right now he gains no additional titles. Might be a nice addition to play around with titles though.
I was saying that he can be a possibly claimant, but yeah, he's already king of the Ostrogoths.

Although I am a natural born smartass I didn't try to talk you down. More like I listed up the 'facts' I believe in and expected you to tell me in case you know better. I have studied pretty much all that wiki has to offer but never read a book about it. My interest in knowing details about this time started with this mod. I am quite glad that this time has many interesting details and the more I know the more I am interested.

Well, more or less, whenever you or those who know more find me talking crap, please don't be too polite!  :razz:

Here are your helmets, now included. I think Sayd is right, I changed their position a bit and I think it looks better now.
If you want I can send you these repositioned helmets.

Too bad that they cover the hair as well as the itp_covers_hair or however it's called doesn't work effectively.
It's a well made helmet you got there. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Now for all those who don't know them already.

Graciously provided by Gothic Knight ... here they come!

helmetcat.jpg

helmeta.jpg

helmetb.jpg

Ritter Dummbatz said:
Although I am a natural born smartass I didn't try to talk you down. More like I listed up the 'facts' I believe in and expected you to tell me in case you know better. I have studied pretty much all that wiki has to offer but never read a book about it. My interest in knowing details about this time started with this mod. I am quite glad that this time has many interesting details and the more I know the more I am interested.

Well, more or less, whenever you or those who know more find me talking crap, please don't be too polite!  :razz:

Here are your helmets, now included. I think Sayd is right, I changed their position a bit and I think it looks better now.
If you want I can send you these repositioned helmets.

Too bad that they cover the hair as well as the itp_covers_hair or however it's called doesn't work effectively.
It's a well made helmet you got there. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Now for all those who don't know them already.

Graciously provided by Gothic Knight ... here they come!

helmetcat.jpg

helmeta.jpg

helmetb.jpg
Hmm, yes, send me the objs so I can refit the helmets. I thought I aligned them correctly, guess not. As for the Theodoric thing, no problem. You can't really make a leader of a faction a claimant right ?:smile:.

Ritter Dummbatz said:

Well there is one other possible name to toss out there and that would be Glycerius who Julius Nepos deposed. Glycerius was a usurper supported by Gothic troops and not the establishment. The interesting twist though is that Nepos allowed him to live and Glycerius was sent, as a bishop, to Dalmatia and is implicated in the murder of Nepos, in 480, in Dalmatia. Glycerius's own death date is not known as far as I can tell so he could have been alive in 485 and you could meet him in a border town tavern and well...

Auldman said:
Ritter Dummbatz said:

Well there is one other possible name to toss out there and that would be Glycerius who Julius Nepos deposed. Glycerius was a usurper supported by Gothic troops and not the establishment. The interesting twist though is that Nepos allowed him to live and Glycerius was sent, as a bishop, to Dalmatia and is implicated in the murder of Nepos, in 480, in Dalmatia. Glycerius's own death date is not known as far as I can tell so he could have been alive in 485 and you could meet him in a border town tavern and well...
Hmm, nice.

Yes, yes...  :razz:

Well, no. Nothing to be proudly presented. I am currently working on the more complex things of the game code and I feel like I should spend some time to get to know what I am going to change before I do so and mess it all up.

Right now I do some experiments with the economy system and don't know about the outcome yet. It's happy coding with a backup on the cupboard. I am actually trying to get rid of the pretty abstract native system. Feels a bit like this could/should be a mod for itself and tried hard to avoid working on it but in my mind with all the features planned I am always coming back to the point that something needs to be done with the economy so I decided to try a few steps. I shall see if this is just time wasted in the end.

Other than that I have done a few steps towards some diplomacy action and towards tweaking the overland map AI.
This is as well annoyingly complex code and nothing for those who love the fast progress and the easy tweak.

So, no real news but big plans and a thread sinking down on page 4 until you came by.  Thanks for the bump! :razz:

I'll keep you updated if any of these new ideas became reality.

I just got positive feedback from our scenemaker though and may be he is able to provide some colorful pictures for the plebs soon.  :wink:

p.s. in case you won't hear from me in the future then it's because I've been killed by the sandpeople of the ancient times as I actually should be working on that stuff instead.  :mrgreen:

I try to bring the abstract system down to a pretty concrete level. So far it and as we know it from native a caravan raided or not doesn't have a noticeable impact, same thing with farmers or villages that have been raided. My hopes are that if you bring down the economy in an area it will have an effect and bring down the foodstock in a town in a far more noticeable way.

So far the first few steps for a system of that kind turn out quite well but it's far from being done and therefor I am far from being able to see if does have the wanted effects or if the player can abuse its weaknesses just too easy.
If all turns out well you might be way more interested in raiding caravans as they acutally carry the goods they just traded. Taxes aren't really the thing of that time at least it wasn't based on money and money only that much. This new economy might make it possible to reflect that.

Well, like mentioned in the other post it's an experiment and a backup is there ready to be restored. I am sorry to give you a longer waiting time, I really am. All I want is to have this mod released as soon as possible so I can have a life again. At the same time I feel like just another mod with yet another theme is not enough. The whole thing might as well just be a desperate try to keep me entertained on a subconscious level...  :roll:

I don't know, I shall see.  :wink:

The whole thing might as well just be a desperate try to keep me entertained on a subconscious level... 

That might be part of it. I know modding for me is partially entertainment as much as producing something. But I think you're too hard on yourself - this mod will offer the unique experience of the Dark Ages, transitioning between the ancient Romans and later Germans.

Back
Top Bottom