2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks like you were right. Reds will maybe take the House. Blues keep the Senate and a bunch of governors. The only performers Republicans had were DeSantis and Rubio who probably just rode DeSantis's coattails.

In the context of the previous two years, this is a Democrat victory. A semi competent Republican party would absolutely obliterate them in this election, but even a post stroke mumbler who can't put together a sentence can win a Senate seat for Democrats because Republicans run a near literal snake oil salesman from another state against him. You can lead a horse to the water...

What does it mean if the Senate is Democrat and the House is Republican, and the Republicans are hellbent on obstruction?
The US legislative body gets gridlocked and the Pres rules by decrees?

They always work out the budget. I'm going to be a contrarian here and argue that the politics are actually as bipartisan as it gets, unless by bipartisanship one means "the party I don't like should concede everything to the party I like, because the things I like are Common Sense (TM)". There are like 3 issues that are emotionally loaded and that they loudly and ostentatiously argue over, but they seem to figure out everything else:unsure:

If Republicans take the House, not much will change. The vast majority of things that affect one's life aren't decided by the federal government anyway. The Senate was pretty deadlocked, even when Democrats nominally controlled it, because two Democrat Senators are more purple than blue anyway.

With DeSantis's landslide victory in Florida, it's obvious he will go for presidential nomination for 2024 and then we will have a delightful Republican primary between him and Trump in about a year.

They always work out the budget. I'm going to be a contrarian here and argue that the politics are actually as bipartisan as it gets, unless by bipartisanship one means "the party I don't like should concede everything to the party I like, because the things I like are Common Sense (TM)". There are like 3 issues that are emotionally loaded and that they loudly and ostentatiously argue over, but they seem to figure out everything else:unsure:

If Republicans take the House, not much will change. The vast majority of things that affect one's life aren't decided by the federal government anyway. The Senate was pretty deadlocked, even when Democrats nominally controlled it, because two Democrat Senators are more purple than blue anyway.

With DeSantis's landslide victory in Florida, it's obvious he will go for presidential nomination for 2024 and then we will have a delightful Republican primary between him and Trump in about a year.
I hope you're right. There should be many areas of consensus in the interests of the country and economy. I know nothing about DeSantis but hope Trump's malign influence over Republicans becomes a thing of the past.

You might have misunderstood what I meant. I didn't mean that for the most they are reasonable sages with nothing but the people's well-being on their minds.

I meant that for the most they agree on what's good for their campaign donors and for them, a perception of being constantly on the brink of a disaster being one of those things.

I know nothing about DeSantis but hope Trump's malign influence over Republicans becomes a thing of the past.
Not happening, because DeSantis adopted Trump's style, talking points, and even his mannerisms, but he can actually formulate a complete sentence. DeSantis is the guy flying migrants to Democrat cities for political theater.

I'll be relieved if he doesn't adopt Trump's hairstyle. So, is DeSantis another claiming Elections were stolen?
DeSantis is more dangerous than Trump. He consciously engages in culture wars to gain national recognition from the Trump base who thinks owning the libs is the best thing anyone can do. He doesn't do economy, just ideology. The danger is he's going to take Trump's base to vote him into office and then do far more damage than Trump because he's smarter.
The only thing that may prevent him is an unseemly struggle with Trump (who already said he'll spill some dirt on DeSatan if he runs in 2024) which will sink both against an electable Dem candidate. It's going to be a circus all right.

I called it many years ago, on this very forum, I think, that Trump is merely a Barry Goldwater to a Nixon to follow and execute a major realignment of the electorate. Could it be DeSantis, perhaps, if he avoids the temptation to pick some honest-to-god mentally handicapped "maverick" VP like when McCain picked Palin to supposedly appeal to the bottom 50%, but even fellow mentally handicapped people thought Palin was just too dumb to be one bullet away from the presidency of a nuclear superpower. If DeSantis picks someone like Boebert or some dip**** like that, it will be over before it started.

50/50 joke/serious: DeSantis-Gabbard ticket would be easy on both eyes and ears and would steamroll anyone Dems can possibly come up with in the next election.

Not happening, because DeSantis adopted Trump's style, talking points, and even his mannerisms, but he can actually formulate a complete sentence. DeSantis is the guy flying migrants to Democrat cities for political theater.

Last edited:
I called it many years ago, on this very forum, I think, that Trump is merely a Barry Goldwater to a Nixon to follow and execute a major realignment of the electorate.
Just what kind of realignment would that be?
50/50 joke/serious: DeSantis-Gabbard ticket would be easy on both eyes and ears and would steamroll anyone Dems can possibly come up with in the next election.
The alt-right would jizz in their basements over that combo.

Ithe only senior Republican to come out of the last Presidential election with some integrity
Uhm I think you might have missed a thing or two about the whole Pence-Trump dynamic. Integrity is not the word I would use.

You'd be correct if you thought of Liz Cheney and maybe Mitt Romney. But their being openly anti Trump makes them outcasts in the new looney toon brigade.

Mike Pence
Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney.
Yeah, it's a real shame the hardcore neoconest neocons aren't electable. Just one more war in the Middle East, bro, please, just one more and I'll quit, I promise!

And the Democrats could run literally anyone, some high fructose boomer soulless poison like a Warren-Buttigieg ticket and the zombiefication of America will be complete. No more worries, no more troubles, no more pain. Just a forever stream of Jimmy Kimmel episodes with a tv dinner for one.
Just what kind of realignment would that be?
Far-right Italian/Polynesian White supremacy. No but seriously, Republicans would bleed some upper middle class boomers who can clutch their pearls about "norms" and "democratic traditions" and "proper way things are done in a democracy" until their home gets foreclosed over their fourth reverse mortgage. At the same time Republicans could gain some (lower-ish) middle class non-Whites. Blacks and Latinos don't fetishize the "norms" and "process" and whatnot, they don't mind if their politicians are a little saucy.

If Republicans want to take more Black and Latino votes, they have to:

Run some Black and Latino candidates, but it can't be tokenism. They must actually relate to their community and don't feel like they hate themselves for their race and secretely wish they were white, but also don't just play the ethnic card and expect people vote for them because they are the same skin tone and hair texture. These candidates will also appeal to Whites because they will get to feel good about not being racist by voting for the based and redpilled Black man or the far-right Latina.

Dial down the pro-life messaging. Yes, the Republican base doesn't like abortion, but it's not as die hard against it as pro-life lobby groups think it is or wish it was. Tudor Dixon, for example, lost the Michigan governorship over repeatedly and proudly saying she would ban abortion in any and all cases except when the mother's life were immediately and directly in danger. That only appeals to a couple hardcore religious fundamentalists and alienates everyone else. You can still be pro life, just don't go out of your way to say on tv that YES INCLUDING AN INCESTUOUS RAPE OF A 10 YEAR OLD.

Reject free trade. Right or wrong, people want the jobs. No two ways about it.

Reject foreign wars. How does everybody not realize that Americans don't know and don't care about not-America. Some Americans like the warm and fuzzy feeling they get from the idea that America is "doing the right thing", but that ship has sailed and sunk. After decades of completely pointless intervention wars, nobody feels warm and fuzzy, all they have is the bitter taste of sinking money and lives in some weird countries on the other side of the planet that they can't pronounce or find on a map.

Increase anti-corporation rhetoric. This is a no brainer, nobody likes corporations. Tech companies bad, banks bad, big pharma bad. Tech companies are already Democrat so no loss there, big pharma sends a lot of money, but come on, after two years of covid, people are ready and open wide to hate big pharma more than ever. Banks will be a tough habit to kick. I am not holding my breath.

Increase anti-woke rhetoric. No more drag queen storytime in public schools, no more CRT. Youngkin won an upset in Virginia last year despite being a gigacoprorate hedge fund drone with zero personality, just because parents, yes including if not especially Black and Latino parents, didn't want their kids to learn about "blood play" and anal fisting in school. Also no school lockdowns over covid. There is no day care for preteens if school is closed, and if there is they can't afford it, simple as. We've liberated women by sending them to work, so now the kids have to be somewhere too. Can't be home alone.

I think it would be great if DeSantis won because then eddie would finally have a right wing Italian in charge of both his countries😆

Reject foreign wars. How does everybody not realize that Americans don't know and don't care about not-America. Some Americans like the warm and fuzzy feeling they get from the idea that America is "doing the right thing", but that ship has sailed and sunk. After decades of completely pointless intervention wars, nobody feels warm and fuzzy, all they have is the bitter taste of sinking money and lives in some weird countries on the other side of the planet that they can't pronounce or find on a map.
That'll hardly pull in campaign donations from the defence industry.

That's where having an actually intelligent politicians become important. Every other dummy can play either voters or donors. The art of demoracy is playing both. It is not a well kept secret that the really huge corporations donate to both sides, maybe a little more to one than the other, but still a lot to both. Their calculations are that whatever they make from the public procurement will more than make for dinating to the "losing" side anwyay. Like this, but unironically:

qCEd4.png

It is a little depressing, but you can also look at it from the perspective that allows a politician a little room because he knows he will get some money from this or that industry anyway. An isolationist politican can also keep buiying rockets and bombers even if there is no war. Sure, an ongoing war is better, but you can also just build a couple more warehouses to fill up.

Yeah, it's a real shame the hardcore neoconest neocons aren't electable. Just one more war in the Middle East, bro, please, just one more and I'll quit, I promise!

And the Democrats could run literally anyone, some high fructose boomer soulless poison like a Warren-Buttigieg ticket and the zombiefication of America will be complete. No more worries, no more troubles, no more pain. Just a forever stream of Jimmy Kimmel episodes with a tv dinner for one.
I'll leave this to eddie, but you probably already know this is low rant quality.
No but seriously, Republicans would bleed some upper middle class boomers who can clutch their pearls about "norms" and "democratic traditions" and "proper way things are done in a democracy" until their home gets foreclosed over their fourth reverse mortgage. At the same time Republicans could gain some (lower-ish) middle class non-Whites. Blacks and Latinos don't fetishize the "norms" and "process" and whatnot, they don't mind if their politicians are a little saucy.
That's an interesting analysis with (probably) several grains of truth in it. As a realignment, it isn't very tectonic.
However, populism in a crisis can be left-wing as well as right-wing, and that's what's coming with the Next Recession when people begin to lose their homes and jobs. Bernies can play this game too.
If Republicans want to take more Black and Latino votes, they have to: (snip etc etc)
That's high fantasy. I think you are projecting several of your own VERY particular views on the Republicans most of which they are not able nor willing to accept.

The fairly populist "bring our jerbs back" won't do much, because Trump already tried what governments can do: mutually hurtful trade wars (and consumer prices going up) and limited job-retention/recovery from few unwilling companies asking for government handouts to keep the jobs in the US. Both worked poorly for Trump. Even if there is further escalation with China, the factories would move to SE Asia and not "back".
The real problem here is the low level of education in the US, which needs to import skilled workers and Czech socialites for lack of their own.
The other isolationist wish about disengagement from the world is also contrary to US business and other strategic interests around the world. The establishment invested in furthering these interests won't just go away by presidential decree, but they can make the president's life difficult and one-termy.

Back
Top Bottom