2016 U.S. Presidential Elections: The Circus Is In Full Swing

Users who are viewing this thread

It was unlikely for him to win last time too. Sometimes unlikely things do happen, unlikely is not the same thing as impossible. I also suggest watching his last speech if you haven't yet, it honestly looks like he's just gone extremely senile.
His speeches were always like that. And Fox was jizzing all over it as usual; couldn't get enough of it. Just like old times. It is no more impossible for Trump this time around than it was the last time.

Last edited:
Uhm I must have seen different Fox news footage because in the one I watched Hannity cut him off in the middle of it. Anyway there's no point in arguing about it, neither one of us has a cristal ball. Time will tell, que sera sera. In my mind Trump's biggest chance is the Democratic party super power to self sabotage (that's how he won in 2016 honestly).

Uhm I must have seen different Fox news footage because in the one I watched Hannity cut him off in the middle of it.
Since you say that, I'm guessing what you have seen of the speech is via non-conservative sources, which make a big deal out of how boring the speech was. But did you check out what Hannity actually said about it? Here's the "cut off" - which was not actually a cut off, but a cut in:

At no point does Hannity say or do anything which signals to the target audience: "Trump's announcement speech is boring". He wants you to think the exact opposite. Some select quotes:

"This looks like Trump in as good a form as you've ever seen him."
"If he can stay on message, like he did tonight, he's got a formidable case to make to a Republican electorate."
"The construct of the speech is pitch perfect. If he keeps on like this tonight, he is unbeatable in 2024."

Hannity probably did worry that the speech would be on the boring side for the viewers, which is why he cut in to tell them what they are supposed to think of the speech (that's the purpose of having those guests on), before cutting back to the speech - which he did.
Anyway there's no point in arguing about it, neither one of us has a cristal ball. Time will tell, que sera sera. In my mind Trump's biggest chance is the Democratic party super power to self sabotage (that's how he won in 2016 honestly).
The 2016 sabotage was all on Trump. Trump was successful in convincing people on both sides that Hillary was bent and evil, and Bernie-supporters who felt betrayed that they lost the primaries to her did not support Hillary like Bernie wanted them to do. For the most part, they either abstained, voted independent, and some even voted Trump.

Well agree to disagree I guess. Of course Hannity has to keep face, but I think you put it well here:

Hannity probably did worry that the speech would be on the boring side for the viewers, which is why he cut in to tell them what they are supposed to think of the speech (that's the purpose of having those guests on), before cutting back to the speech - which he did.
I don't see a disagreement between us on the substance. Honestly, the man is old. He was already old in 2016 and that was six years ago. And before you say it, yes, that applies to Biden too. It was already a ridiculous pair to see in 2020.

Bernie-supporters who felt betrayed that they lost the primaries to her did not support Hillary like Bernie wanted them to do. For the most part, they either abstained, voted independent, and some even voted Trump
you say "for the most part", but the overwhelming majority of bernie supporters ended up voting for clinton. sth like 12% to trump and 12% to neither, per wiki

@Kissaki
Here's more stuff about Trump not getting the support he needs to win the primary, and that includes Fox (though Hannity is Trump's personal lackey and may not follow Murdoch policy completely).

Murdoch tells Trump he will not back fresh White House bid – report

That doesn't really mean anything. Murdoch refused to back Trump the first time around, too, until they reached an amicable agreement in May of 2016. Up until that time, Murdoch had been openly critical of Trump. Whether or not he'll back him again depends on whether Trump will become as popular again, I suppose. It's early days yet, and will be too early to call until 2024.

That doesn't really mean anything. Murdoch refused to back Trump the first time around, too, until they reached an amicable agreement in May of 2016. Up until that time, Murdoch had been openly critical of Trump.
It doesn't matter if he didn't like him, Murdoch was on the Trump train and supported him during the presidency. Fox staffers were given access and jobs in the administration. This ended only when Trump lost to Biden, and now it's made even clearer.
Murdoch backs the winner, and that includes ****ting on the contender Trump. There's nothing Trump could do that DeSantis could not do better.

It doesn't matter if he didn't like him, Murdoch was on the Trump train and supported him during the presidency. Fox staffers were given access and jobs in the administration. This ended only when Trump lost to Biden, and now it's made even clearer.
Murdoch backs the winner, and that includes ****ting on the contender Trump. There's nothing Trump could do that DeSantis could not do better.
So what? I'm talking 2016, before he was president. Exact same situation as now. Murdoch was not on the Trump train until the big push of 2016. In other words, so far it's just history repeating itself. If Murdoch still doesn't support Trump after May of 2024, then it will be different.

So what? I'm talking 2016, before he was president. Exact same situation as now. Murdoch was not on the Trump train until the big push of 2016. In other words, so far it's just history repeating itself. If Murdoch still doesn't support Trump after May of 2024, then it will be different.
You are right, but I don't see Trump magically winning or even keeping a serious level of support just with OANN and Truth Social. DeSanta is owning the libs just fine and Fox is on his side. There are no mainstream opponents to portray as establishment. Enough things have changed to thwart Trump's hope of repeating an upset.
I also feel this deeply in my heart. QED.

You are right, but I don't see Trump magically winning or even keeping a serious level of support just with OANN and Truth Social. DeSanta is owning the libs just fine and Fox is on his side. There are no mainstream opponents to portray as establishment. Enough things have changed to thwart Trump's hope of repeating an upset.
I also feel this deeply in my heart. QED.
No one saw Trump winning when he announced his candidacy in 2015 either. It wasn't until 2016 that people on both sides of the isle actually started to entertain the notion that Trump just might win this thing. And many - especially among Trump's opponents - were flabbergasted when the election went to Trump. Don't say it couldn't happen in 2024, because that's just what they said about 2016.

No one saw Trump winning when he announced his candidacy in 2015 either. It wasn't until 2016 that people on both sides of the isle actually started to entertain the notion that Trump just might win this thing. And many - especially among Trump's opponents - were flabbergasted when the election went to Trump. Don't say it couldn't happen in 2024, because that's just what they said about 2016.
Your whole argument is "something unexpected happened in the past, so it may happen again". It's not substantial or backed up by any kind of evidence, it only works as a superstitious phobia.
A better way would be to analyze why it happened the first time and then argue that the key conditions are valid this time too, but not valid the last time when Biden beat him.
At least state that you feel this deeply in your heart.

Meanwhile, DeSanity is owning the libs, THIS IS HOW YOU WIN:
A federal judge in Florida halted part of a state law that limits what colleges and universities can teach students about racism and sexism, calling it “positively dystopian”.

Issuing a temporary injunction on the law on Thursday, US district court judge Mark Walker said it violates first amendment rights to free speech, and 14th amendment rights to due process on campuses.

“No one should be instructed to feel as if they are not equal or shamed because of their race,” Ron DeSantis, Florida’s governor, said in April, after signing the bill. “In Florida, we will not let the far-left woke agenda take over our schools and workplaces. There is no place for indoctrination or discrimination in Florida.”

The judge responded scathingly in his injunction, making a reference to George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four: “‘It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking 13,’ and the powers in charge of Florida’s public university system have declared the state has unfettered authority to muzzle its professors in the name of ‘freedom,’” he wrote.

“Defendants argue that, under this act, professors enjoy ‘academic freedom’ so long as they express only those viewpoints of which the State approves. This is positively dystopian.”

Last edited:
Your whole argument is "something unexpected happened in the past, so it may happen again". It's not substantial or backed up by any kind of evidence, it only works as a superstitious phobia.
A better way would be to analyze why it happened the first time and then argue that the key conditions are valid this time too, but not valid the last time when Biden beat him.
At least state that you feel this deeply in your heart.

Meanwhile, DeSanity is owning the libs, THIS IS HOW YOU WIN:
My argument is that being certain of a thing is no guarantee. There are no arguments against Trump's success now which are any better than the ones for the 2016 election. People were cock-sure he couldn't possibly win then, and they had excellent reasons for thinking so. The reasons today are only cosmetically different, if that. Murdoch refusing to support? Same as before. Stronger Republican rivals? Ditto 2016. And if he announces that he's pulling out of the race, then that's nothing new either. Trump has a knack for throwing a spanner in the gears, fudging up all expectations.

Last edited:
Murdoch's NYP still going after Donald, but this time they are funny.
3b98f5c0-65cb-11ed-bcef-b375c47e077d
With just 720 days to go before the next election, a Florida retiree made the surprise announcement Tuesday night that he was running for president.

That is true. Everyone was expecting a red wave in the midterms, including Democrats, and here he went shocking everyone with a tiny trickle!

:iamamoron:
Trump has just been president, and his antics post-term has rallied the centre-left - everyone is on high alert because they know what is at stake. And let's not forget the Supreme Court shooting themselves in the foot by overthrowing Roe vs. Wade. I was part horrified, part elated when that news broke - this was a god-send with regards to the midterms. Traditionally, women vote more than men do, so it's a really bad idea to piss women off in an election year.

Right, that was definitely a self defeating move. I don't see any of the fundamentally changing from here to 2024. I also don't really know anyone who ever went from hating Trump to being like eh you know what, he's not so bad, and on the other hand I personally know a decent number of people who went from voting him in 2016 to regretting that deeply and voting against him in 2020.

Time doesn't work in Trump's favor, it works against him.

Musk reinstates Trump on Twitter following an online poll with a tiny majority. He just does random things as if he craves attention.
Remember how he reassured the public and the advertisers that all bans would first be reviewed by a diverse moderation council. So much for that.
The best part is that Trump is ignoring this for now, as he needs to keep his Trump Social platform relevant.

Edit: anecdotal evidence Maga tweeters are promoted by Twitter now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom