1.4.3 Getting Lords to join your kingdom

Users who are viewing this thread

Let me start with saying - great work all around, I have a lot of fun with the game.

My question: I started my own kingdom in 1.4.2 and now moved on to 1.4.3. I own 7 cities, a number of castles, maxed out smithing so money is not an issue. However, I can't get any of the lords to join, even the ones that belong to kingdoms without fiefs. Even when I do manage to pass persuasion checks, even everything I own, 4.5 million cash plus equipment is not enough even to make an offer to lords.

Is this working as intended??? I hope not.

Yeah, I had a strange occurrence where I couldn't get someone to join my Kingdom because it was way way to expensive (Wanting millions) but then we went to war with them and I asked them again and they essentially paid me to join my army (As in: I offered them 10k and they offered me 100k so they ended up paying me 90k to join)... That seemed like a very extreme difference just be going to war.

Actually I can confirm that it is no longer that way. I hired several Lords in my service and the prizes were very reasonable. The thing was that they were "scaling" down accordingly on how much I was growing as a King, and the war was going. I mean, once I started beating them on the battlefield, they request went down. (You can have a feeling about it looking at the "peace offer", you'll see it start with you paying a lot, but more victorious you are better it will become, up until the point they will pay you instead. Lords requests seems to be correctly reflectimg that mechanic as well. (1.4.3)

Yeah, I had a strange occurrence where I couldn't get someone to join my Kingdom because it was way way to expensive (Wanting millions) but then we went to war with them and I asked them again and they essentially paid me to join my army (As in: I offered them 10k and they offered me 100k so they ended up paying me 90k to join)... That seemed like a very extreme difference just be going to war.

So price go down when you strarted war with his faction? Does that lord have fiefs?

As I said if you see any situation you think which is weird please send me your save game and I can explain situation better.

In my save, I saw a relation between the "peace proposal" and what a Lord asks you, as soon as they become willing to pay you to make peace, prizes go really down, make sense I think, you are beating them and a Lord is more willing to switch side to the winner, but, I did always paid him...

Last edited:
So price go down when you strarted war with his faction? Does that lord have fiefs?

As I said if you see any situation you think which is weird please send me your save game and I can explain situation better.

He owned multiple fiefs and was originally asking for over 1mil. And then, yes, the price went down after we went to war (He actually offered to pay me - see screenshot for an example of this)

I will work on trying to get a save game for this.

Here is a screenshot of this from my game. I offer 1 gold and they offer a lot (This lord owned one Town and we were at war during this conversation):

Nop. it is broken. In fact now that I am getting really powerful, I stopped a Lord without FIEFS from a Kingdom I am NOT at war with. He paid me to join me. Besides all Lords I recruit I used always the upper choice during the speech test. With always 1st a Critical Success and then 2 Success. BTW I have the Perk for critical success. Anyway, now it is too easy (as much as I am sad reporting this...totally enjoying bully everybody around...still...too easy)

I am also experiencing that I usually have 100% chances. My Charm is high but I have -2 Honor (devious)... But I still have a 100% chance when using the honor speech options. The lowest I have seen is around 63%.

I will try and get a save game for this also. I will hopefully send them tomorrow, as it is late for me in New Zealand.

He owned multiple fiefs and was originally asking for over 1mil. And then, yes, the price went down after we went to war (He actually offered to pay me - see screenshot for an example of this)

Here is a screenshot of this from my game. I offer 1 gold and they offer a lot (This lord owned one Town and we were at war during this conversation):

I am also experiencing that I usually have 100% chances. My Charm is high but I have -2 Honor (devious)... But I still have a 100% chance when using the honor speech options. The lowest I have seen is around 63%.

I will try and get a save game for this also. I will hopefully send them tomorrow, as it is late for me in New Zealand.

Ok a save game helps to understand what is going on. Thanks.

Although I then tried to do the same trick with another Lord from a Kingdom I am not at war but that in the past declared war on me. back then, since I could not afford to fight them, I paid for peace. And I could not buy this guy with more than 2 millions. So it is like for them I am still "the looser"...

UPDATE. The same guy who didn't join me for 2 mil, once I declared war against Sturgia, defeated 1 single enemy party, and then go talk to him, did join me for 236K. So yep, that's the way...kicking their a...make them waaay less arrogant :smile:

Confirming this, it doesn't matter. I've found lords with no fiefs and still I don't have enough money to get that slider moving - and I have over 11 million. While they have about 50k cash. Meanwhile, other kingdoms have no problem recruiting lords whose kingdoms I obliterated.

I had problems where other factions kept sniping my lords. Usually it will be some faction I was at war with. If two countries are at war, they will snipe each others unlanded lords too. A good way to make sure your lords don't get sniped from under you is to end the war. Also, reverting to a save made like 2-3 minutes prior will more than often not trigger the lord to leave. It did hurt my feeling though, because I was pumping influence down and up their ass and awarding them fiefs like crazy just before they defected.

But to confirm other suspicions, it is much easier to persuade lords from a country you are at war with, both for the computer and for player kingdoms. I have sniped two landed lords myself so far (several others in previous plays). I tried sniping one when our relation was 15 ish and they charged me like 100k. I defeated the people in their clan a couple of times and let them go free, thus increasing the relation to 50ish. Once this was done, they came to my side without having to put down any money.

So, when sniping for lords, I just get into as many fights as possible and let the loser go free. Once I get to about 40-50 relation, I ask them to join me. I try to go doe clans with the most fiefs, but usually the ruling clan has a lot fiefs so landed lords might be hard to find. Each clan has like 3-5 parties, you can net at least 3*6 = 18 relation in one wave. To make things easier, just hang around their town so you can beat them up as soon as they leave their house. There is currently no penalty for hunting down a 30 party lord with a fleet of 200 men.

My charm is also relatively high (80ish) but I do not know if this plays a role.

I had nobody leaving in 1.4.3. And relation for me had very little impact, it was all about the "how the war is going thing"...Let me explain better what I think (not a DEV, so not 100%, but it is a consistent thing...so...).
When you are at war with someone the system will kind of evaluate the situation, and you can have an idea of what is going on by the "make peace option", if it writes that YOU have to PAY them, it means that the game is thinking that you are loosing, in this situations Lords will ask a lot. Now if you keep winning battles/sieges, and then have a look again you'll see that first the "peace" will be without any payment, then it will turn with THEM paying YOU. Lords requests will drop somewhere around 160K and then as low as 60K.

NOTE. If you were at war with someone and accepted/asked the peace deal where YOU pay THEM, well, in time of peace their lords will ask you 2 or 3 millions...(because for the game, since you are still paying a tribute, you are the loosing side).

Relationship helps only during the speech test as far as I saw in my campaign, and I failed to get a lord for it only once

NOTE. CHARM actually play a huge role in the speech. Any other trait, given that you and the Lord you talking to have the same are also a huge help. With the "higher chance critical success perk" enabled I score at least 1 critical success every given talk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom