SP - General 1.4.1 General Feedback & Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

SciFiSoldier

Recruit
Thank you to Tale Worlds and the dev team for making an amazing game. I suspect this game will be one of those games I continue to come back to even 20 years down the road when fully released.

On to my feedback and suggestions.

1.) Recruiting clans to your new kingdom.
With the current mechanics of 1.4.1 I find it difficult to actually start my own kingdom. In my current playthrough I own most of Sturgia by myself. I cannot recruit other clans into my kingdom as the clan leaders all complain that I'm vastly outnumbered and all demand around 1,000,000 denar for me to recruit them. At the time I created my kingdom I had about 600,000 denar, which was all spent on peace treaties. It has become too difficult to recruit clans to your kingdom. The equation for determining how much a noble lord needs to join you kingdom needs to be adjusted. A noble with only 60,000 denar should not be demanding 1,000,000 from me.... Olek obviously didn't require that much when he switched sides to the Vlandians.

2.) Clan tier requirements for starting kingdom should be returned to 3.
The requirement to reach clan tier 4 before starting a new kingdom seems too grindy. By the time I reached clan tier 4 the Northern Empire, Southern Empire, Western Empire, and Sturgia were all whiped off the map. The Kuzhait owned half the map and all nobles complained I was too outnumbered for them to join my kingdom.

3.) Influence gains.
With 1.4.0 the influence recieved from donating troops and prisoners were nerfed. I believe this to be a mistake. Once I have my own kingdom I have no problem gaining influence. The influence gains from policies should have been nerfed as this is where I was recieved overwhelming amounts of influence as a ruler. The influence gains from donating prisoners/troops was about right and the only way I could amass even a couple hundred influence as a vassal or mercenary prior to 1.4.0. The influence gains from donating troops/prisoners needs to be buffed and the influence gains from policies should probably be nerfed.

4.) Charm Skill
With 1.4.0, barter and mingling with nobles no longer produces any Charm xp gain. This has made it extremely difficult to level the charm skill which is so important for persuading clans to join your kindom or to get married. I am clan tier 4 and own most of sturgia, but my charm skill is only level 76 with 5 points into social and 4 focus points into charm. The issue here is that prior to 1.4.0 it was TOO EASY to farm up the charm skill as I could go around the countryside farming my charm skill by talking to every noble in the land and offering them 1 gold as a gift.... or even offering them nothing as a gift. It was extremely broken. I do not believe that the answer is to remove xp gains from barter altogether but rather simply reduce the xp gains from barter, or create a formula which gives charm xp relative to what is being bartered.

5.) Barter
I would like to see the ability to click the "OFFER" button available at any time like it was prior to 1.3.0. Clan leaders are demanding 100,000,000+ denar from me to join my kingdom and it would be great if I could offer them 100,000 denar with a reduced chance of the barter being accepted rather than not being able to offer anything at all unless its the 1,000,000+ denar.

6.) Alliances
I would like to see the ability to form an alliance with other kingdoms either through barter or the marriage of the player with the child of a kingdom ruler. I recently married King Derthert's daughter and 3 days later Vlandia declared war on me. I specifically waited to marry until after I had my own kingdom in order to form an alliance once my kingdom was established. Well that plan went out the window and now I find myself starting a new game this evening with the goal of marrying early so that my children can grow up and potentially be married off for alliances in the future. Note: I'm not even sure if the alliance marriage mechanic is functional as I've never played a game long enough for my children to grow up.

7.) New Armors and NPCs
Loving the new armors and NPCs which were added in 1.4.1. More diversity of options are always welcomed. Thank you for this! However, still not seeing much high tier armors available in the marketplaces. I actually just bought a plated helm with armored skirts (the plated helm with the golden scales in the front which you see on my Vlandia nobles). So that was nice. But I still have not seen the Impreial Lamellar armors available. Would be nice to see these added.

8.) Smithing
Two handed sword smithing is currently broken. I'm able to smith two handed swords which are selling for 50,000+ denars while one handed swords struggle to reach a value of 5,000. Values for smithed weapons need to be adjusted (i.e. two handed swords reduced and one handed swords increased to be a bit more balanced).

9.) Bandit Lairs.
Still having issues with bandit lairs being populated with 40+ bandits and player is still only allowed 9 soldiers which include the player and thier companions in party, and then whatever troop type the game decides. So even though I have 40 Vlandian Sergeants and 60 Imperial Palatine Guards.... the game decides I should go in with me, my two companions, and 6 recruits.... why....

10.) Keep up the good work!
You folks are putting together a fantastic game. I've already sunk 400+ hours into this game. I have not been addicted to a game like this in a VERY long time. Thank you for creating an absolutely fantastic product which I believe will stand up to the test of time (relative to the gaming industry that is).

Edit:

11.) All main quests fail at day 840.
All the main story quests still fail at the start of day 840. I thought I read in the patch notes that this had been resolved.

12.) Factions still need more balancing
Often times, by the time I reach clan tier 2 and can properly join a faction, most the imperial factions are on thier death beds. This means that if a player wants to side with an imperial faction then they are essentially committing suicide. Time and time again, the Kuzhait come out as the most powerful kingdom in the game, with Vlandia trailing a close second. The changes to Sturgia have definitely helped them to hold out longer, but in the end Vlandia and the Kuzhait typically destroy them anyways, it just takes them longer. Battania and the Aeseri appear to be well balanced in the current state of the game as they seem to be able to hold thier own. If Vlandia and the Kuzhaits get weakened, then those two factions will become unbalanced and dominate the world. Sturgia seems well balanced as well except they are always at war with the two most powerful factions. The Empire factions need a buff to be able to stay in the game longer. These are just my observations based on multiple play throughs.

13.) Stamina for Smithing
I understand the purpose of the Stamina system in keeping the smithing skill from becoming an overpowered skill that allows the player to just print money essentially, however, all it really does is waste the player's the time and increases complacency and out-right boredom for the player. I've spent easily over 100 days in the game ignoring the wars around me just so that I can regain my stamina for smithing. I'd like to be doing other things while I'm recovering my stamina. My thoughts are this, double the stamina recovery rate while waiting in towns, but allow the player to recover stamina while just out and about doing other things at a substantially reduced rate, say 50%. This would still prevent the player from non-stop smithing, but allow the player to do other things than sit in a town for a whole day. I believe this would improve the flow of the game and make smithing a much more enjoyable skill that becomes something you just do from time to time while you're at town ransoming prisoners and selling loot instead of a skill that you spend over 2 years of in-game time doing nothing.

14.) NPC Pathing Issues during sieges.
Still running into NPC pathing issues during sieges. Some castles which have the wooden palisades are blocking NPCs from exiting ladders once up the wall. Other times I watch NPCs climb the ladders only to fall off when they reach the top. NPC's still struggle with the fact that siege towers have more than just one ladder. And I'm still enjoying riding my horse up the shorter siege towers that have the ramps and riding the siege tower to the wall, absolutely epic.

15.) Medicine skill & Scout skill
Medicine skill & Scout skill gain XP at an extremely low rate. I've been my clan's dedicated surgeon to improve my medicine skill since day one and my medicine skill has only recently reached level 50. I'm on day 840 and have fought many battles on large scales. The skill just doesn't gain XP at a reasonable rate. I literally chose to be my clan's surgeon because of the level 275 skill which increases the hp of all troops in the battle by the characters medicine skill - 200/2. This perk is only active if the character is the party leader, so in other words, if I rely on a companion with the medicine skill then I will never benefit from this perk. Problem is I can't get my medicine skill anywhere near 100. Similarly, XP gain for the Scout skill is really slow to earn as well. I can max out Charm, Leadership, Tactics, and Steward and still be nowhere near level 100 for these two skills even if I hold the role of Clan Scout or Surgeon.

Last edited:
1-4. To simply put it; exp gains for the skill/perk system and the amount of renown you acquire for clan leveling needed to be increased while lowering the amount needed to gain a new level, the current method of level progression (level curve) is simply horrible,inefficient, and certainly not the way how people in real life actually get better overtime.
If anything the level of progression should be linear and static (with the occasional exp boost that you get in game) not in a fancy 'curve' where the points needed to gain a level becomes bigger while the exp you get becomes smaller, it's a needlessly tiring chore that takes out the fun in playing games, especially for a singleplayer game like M&B
As for MP; the level progression should be similar but you get less exp from playing online mode, assuming there's any since I never played MP.

5. That really needed some attention especially the part where AI lords demand they be paid 100x the amount the player had only to leave and join another kingdom as soon as the barter is completed.

6. Still needed some work, I think much of that feature is an empty lot with only a few basic things occupying the space.

7. I expect them to add some more when 1.4.1 (or 1.5) stable comes out.

8. Well 2H deal more damage than 1H weapons so it is to be expected, but yes the smithing needed some tweaks, especially the smithing stamina, that one is just a real hindrance on top of it being hard to find materials for making weapons in the first place. Forging Armor and sellable accessories (i.e. varying types of jewelry from silver ore, other town improving and barter winning goods) is still not yet available.

9. That's still a work in progress, and the hideouts are just a placeholder for whatever the devs are currently making for it. I expect them to make a feature where players can make their own hideouts on some pre-placed 'ruins' on the world map or something (or just about anywhere else that seemed strategic), and that if you are ready enough you can upgrade that hideout into your very own settlement, and if possible; your very own culture/faction with a customizable upgrade tree for normal and elite troops similar to the minor clans; essentially choosing an alternative method of creating your own kingdom but better since you're not taking pointers from some imperial spymaster or a non-imperial rebel.

I wouldnt mind the grind if i didnt have to relevel a character after they die lol.

Unlocks all smithing items dies before able to craft masterwork gear lol

Back
Top Bottom