Take your time Taleworld

Users who are viewing this thread

DennyWiseau

Veteran
The last 3 games I bought was Bannerlord, Cyberpunk 2077 and Elite Dangerous Odyssey. All 3 games should have been released as early access but only Bannerlord was and it is also vastly better than either of those two currently.
Some people on this forum and elsewhere scream and moan about the development taking too long and there not being enough significant progress (you better bring it for 1.6) but the alternative of having to wrap everything up and release this year would have been a ****storm of another dimension.

So take your time and get it right, dont rush it because of other peoples impatience, or your own greed.

Well, I think that the biggest reason because people are complaining so much is not really the TW slowness, but more related to TW refusing to introduce some pretty popular features in order to keep the game “not too complex”.

Well, I think that the biggest reason because people are complaining so much is not really the TW slowness, but more related to TW refusing to introduce some pretty popular features in order to keep the game “not too complex”.
For the most part I would agree, but I have a feeling that the "not too complex" issue is not so much grounded in a design decision but more so an unwillingness to complicate the codebase further.

For the most part I would agree, but I have a feeling that the "not too complex" issue is not so much grounded in a design decision but more so an unwillingness to complicate the codebase further.
Sure, keeping the code as simplest as possible is a good thing, but making the game enjoyable is probably a more relevant thing. The current diplomacy system is extremely random and almost nonexistent, which makes the campaign boring, unimmersive and repetitive as ****. Plus some of the “too complex features” already exist in Warband which makes really hard to understand why these features are still missing in Bannerlord.

I have been one of the biggest white knights for this game, but at this point is really hard to continue finding arguments to defend some TW (Armagan) decisions.

"Take your time taleworlds"

tenor.gif

I mean if they have to take their time to get it to a proper state that it should be in then by all means, go ahead. But if they gonna just take forever but not make any progress then might as well release it now.

Just tried to download mods last night and it was painful. So many mods that I shouldn't even need to download, should just be a base game feature but they aren't. It really can't be hard to go onto moddb or nexus and choose the consistently most popular mods and implement them with the mod makers permission.

they've already taken their time. 9 years of time, in fact. more time in the oven can just as easily overcook something as make it better

Comparing Cyberpunk to Bannerlord and then saying that Bannerlord is better is just funny in my opinion. I wasn't in Cyberpunk's hypestorm so I cannot know what exactly you expected but game came out as a finished product even though it had a lot of bugs in it it was still playable with really solid storyline in it. This is not the case in Bannerlord. The game itself is more like a shell that's waiting for Devs to give its final shape. After 8+1 years.... That's not the definition of success in my dictionary.
In Cyberpunk, they also ironed bugs out with some patches. Whereas we are looking at Bannerlord, core gameplay, Siege and Battle AI is still broken af. After ONE whole year in EA. With countless of feedback and playtesting and help from the community. I'm not even going into case where they rejected lots of easy to implement ideas by claiming that they are "too complex".

About other game, you are comparing a DLC with a base game. And that company seems to abandoned the idea of whatever that Elite Dangerous is and focused on Tycoon games in last 5-6 years.

So tldr; TW already took its time. They were slow enough and still slow af. They spent 9 years on this game and even if we ignore development time, they were in EA for 1 year already and they are still not able to fix really core issues or even showing any willingness to add "meaningful" extra content into the game. It's not TW's problem that we and some people are disappointed with the quality and pace of the updates. But it will be TW's problem if they don't try to fix this because once they announce a new game or dlc then no one will give a jack to that and they will get financially hurt. This is how game industry or any consumer-based industry works after all.

The last 3 games I bought was Bannerlord, Cyberpunk 2077 and Elite Dangerous Odyssey. All 3 games should have been released as early access but only Bannerlord was and it is also vastly better than either of those two currently.
Some people on this forum and elsewhere scream and moan about the development taking too long and there not being enough significant progress (you better bring it for 1.6) but the alternative of having to wrap everything up and release this year would have been a ****storm of another dimension.

So take your time and get it right, dont rush it because of other peoples impatience, or your own greed.
I respect your opinion, of course. I think everyone should be free to voice whatever opinion they hold.
Even so, I think it's an objectively terrible take. I also see very little screaming and moaning on these boards, I tend to see more forlorn disappointment and a lot of constructive criticism and suggestion that are completely ignored instead.
Cyberpunk 2077 = Inexcusable piece of crap. Objectively.
ED Odyssey = Absolute crap. Objectively.
Bannerlord = Objectively a weak and unfinished product.
Why do I keep using the word "objectively?" Because there's such a thing as an objectively bad piece of software: Badly designed, badly realized or badly handled. Those three titles *aren't worth* the money they cost.
As for them taking their time, they already took enough time as it is. It should be a g**damn masterpiece after eight years.

Correct.

Implementing any of the SP features that already exist or - Heaven help us - actually putting in things like feasts from WB wouldn't "complicate the codebase". That's an excuse. A s*** excuse, at that.

"complicating the codebase" is not a reason why it's been over a year and units still don't know how to climb ladders.

Correct.

Implementing any of the SP features that already exist or - Heaven help us - actually putting in things like feasts from WB wouldn't "complicate the codebase". That's an excuse. A s*** excuse, at that.

"complicating the codebase" is not a reason why it's been over a year and units still don't know how to climb ladders.
I guarantee the code base for this game is already ungodly levels of spaghetti complex. And that's not a knock on Taleworlds or Bannerlord. That's just how projects of this size (and even projects smaller than this) inevitably get.

I guarantee the code base for this game is already ungodly levels of spaghetti complex. And that's not a knock on Taleworlds or Bannerlord. That's just how projects of this size (and even projects smaller than this) inevitably get.
Not at properly run companies. Spaghetti code is just poor management and bad structure

Not at properly run companies. Spaghetti code is just poor management and bad structure
Maybe I've just worked solely at poorly-run companies but every one of the half a dozen or so I've worked at have had horrendous spaghetti codebases :razz:

Maybe I've just worked solely at poorly-run companies but every one of the half a dozen or so I've worked at have had horrendous spaghetti codebases :razz:
Oh it's definitely common, but you'd be surprised at what good management and code organization can do

I assist companies during crunch times so I work with a lot of code bases. I do love the ones who have horrendous spaghetti codebases that then are all confused at why it's so hard for them to make updates quickly without breaking anything :razz: Companies that don't properly test their code are also pretty miserable to work with. From the sounds of it TW fits both of these. Although I'm not in the gaming industry so I don't know much about automated testing of game based code

Back
Top Bottom